Page 90 of 418 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: The OT thread V1

social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

A good portion of the appeal of Star Wars is what was done with the EU for years, not just the original movies themselves. Granted, there were some pretty bad EU stories, but there were some excellent ones as well (I would say the majority fall into the excellent category). I wish they had canonized some of the more consistent aspects of the EU instead of just washing their hands of it but leaving it available to cherry pick from.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I figure JJ can't screw it up any more than Lucas did with the prequels.

Quote Originally Posted by y0da900 View Post
    I figure JJ can't screw it up any more than Lucas did with the prequels.
    i agree with this statement. JJ is actually a pretty good movie maker IMO. i simply resent a bit what he did with star trek. and the above mentioned history of crappy star wars movies.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Disney's done a great job with the Marvel movies with having different directors, very different styles of films, but tonally they fit together for the most part. Makes me somewhat excited for the anthology films...even if the Rogue Squadron film should've been a very expensive tv series IMO.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    but you can make cinematic masterpieces with star wars.

its been done. its called the empire strikes back.

you can also make simply amazing movies that are not citizen kane, such as the new mad max, and the first die hard. those are cheap entertainment movies sure, but they are also just simple GREAT movies too. a movie can be simple, and not insulting. it can be emotionally shallow, without being shamelessly stupid. it can be done, good film makers can do it. star wars isn't shawshank, but that is no excuse for it to be a terrible movie.

I must have watched a different film.
    Dear boy, I work at Planet Eclipse, don't you know..

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post

you didn't like the new mad max?

movie was fuckin epic! and i am one who looks down on most action movies. but that movie, like the original die hard, transcends its humble genre into simply excellent entertainment

Insider
    Clarity of vision is important in producing anything creative
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post

I'm with you - watched that on the plane from Puerto Rico last weekend - I thought the story was damned near nonexistant and all it was, was tan on top of more tan with some explosions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring View Post
    watched that on the plane
    Well there's your problem.
    I don't know, fly casual

No, I agree. The explosions were cool, it was an action movie, I just didn't feel... into the movie at all.