Page 108 of 418 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158208 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
    Haha too late. This past semester was my 4th in a row and I have one more in the spring. Fuck that. At least I have winter break. Before and after the summer semester, I had maybe a week and a half off.
    Congrats! That's awesome. I didn't realize how long it takes to become a full architect.

Yes, congratulations to you as well Fred. Both you and New Ion should be proud, you have good degrees. Best of luck with your careers, guys.

TierOneJeff: Didn't you get married recently? I think congratulations are in order to you too.

Insider
    To become an "Architect" in the US (legal term, like Doctor, calling yourself one without a license opens you to litigation in a very bad way), one must (varies slightly state to state):
    -Professional degree: this is usually a Masters but there are 5 year professional bachelors programs.
    -minimum 3 years Internship Development Program: Indentured servitude hoping that your boss will let you work on different aspects of projects and management for X hours (in the hundreds per category) and then sign off that you did it. Has to be a practicing licensed Architect. My bosses from my first jobs in FL did not sign off for me due to some issues so i have effectively done it twice.
    -Licensing exams, of which I had to take 7 in different categories, the new version rolling out next year reworks them into 6. Some states let you take them during IDP, others make you wait until after IDP is over. California has an extra section which last I checked was oral, not written... The exams include graphic vignettes using an archaic proprietary cad software which makes a root canal without anesthetic sound like a good time. Seriously I'd have rather drawn them with my off hand and crayons.

So it took me about 11 years after graduating from college... of which 4 I was not working full time in this field (3 years random contract positions, teaching, and then a year structural engineering).

I've still done it faster than average, by just a bit.
    Last edited by Fred; 12-22-2015 at 11:30 AM.
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

i think im what, 16 days into this?

kicked it off. we find out how it works in 6 more days. at least i get a christmas vacation.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    ... The exams include graphic vignettes using an archaic proprietary cad software which makes a root canal without anesthetic sound like a good time. Seriously I'd have rather drawn them with my off hand and crayons.
    In the Industrial side, that is basically the norm. CAD files from 92.... if you are lucky. If not, it is by hand (which is actually nicer) or just easier to redraw the whole thing. Current plant? Built in 1955.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    In the Industrial side, that is basically the norm. CAD files from 92.... if you are lucky. If not, it is by hand (which is actually nicer) or just easier to redraw the whole thing. Current plant? Built in 1955.
    Psshh!! 1955! No fun until you have to use hand drawn files from the mid-late 1800s. Almost always with completely suspect 'as-built' drawings from past projects. Talk about fun making modern CAD files from that information

Psshh, none of you had to deal with the shit, wrong, or missing files left over when KEE bought JT. I think I would rather have no files or drawings than wrong files. Any time I have trusted other people's files I have been bitten.

Seriously their most successful products (Pro Flex and Autocockers) were so badly or simply not documented it blew my mind. And led to a bunch of issues

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i think im what, 16 days into this?

kicked it off. we find out how it works in 6 more days. at least i get a christmas vacation.
    I consider these kinds of posts a crime worse than Vaguebooking status updates on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I consider these kinds of posts a crime worse than Vaguebooking status updates on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I think I would rather have no files or drawings than wrong files. Any time I have trusted other people's files I have been bitten.
    Words of wisdom.