Page 389 of 418 FirstFirst ... 289339379387388389390391399 ... LastLast
Results 3,881 to 3,890 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

everyone complains about the death of forums (and i totally agree, they are in many ways way better than the alternatives) but something is driving the migration. the convenience is certainly nice, but the price to the community is pretty high. can forums compete? FB integrated registration? is there something that can be done?
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Let them die
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

The only problem I see with letting forms die is the data that gets lost. They are a much easier way to go back and rifle through old information than the more modern alternative. I think people are just to addicted to that rush of the more instant responses and instant gratification of the social media networks at the expense of having a way of looking up answers to things that were already discussed.

I am definitely an outlier to the norm with this though, I never really jumped on the social media thing, I might be one of the few 30 year olds that doesnt have a facebook, twitter, instagram, snapchat, or whatever else is out there.

I absolutely hate trying to wade through Facebook to find anything. And the fact that there's a hundred different groups with varying levels of activity, and half the time when people link something from another group Facebook won't show it because I'm not a part of the original group that got linked. All that combined with what seems to be the highest concentration of trolls and bad faith commenters compared to traditional forums just makes for a bad time.

I just don't understand how someone could be satisfied with that as their primary interaction with information. It's jumbled, hardly searchable, cluttered, and it seems like Facebook really doesn't want you to see the whole conversation, especially the way the media galleries jump to focus the screen when I just want to read the damn comments.

The one redeeming factor is that it's pretty ok for posting/joining events though, so at least there's that.
    Last edited by AndrewTheWookie; 06-26-2019 at 04:03 PM.
    I don't know, fly casual

Its laziness. Instead of doing the rounds and going to where the groups are, social media has them pop alerts or notifications so you can be aware. In one online game, we do use discord to coordinate in game, as it is in real time and that instant communication is necessary for the highest levels of play. For topics that are more social media, that is fine. I don't need to look back to find whatever. But for reference in the facts, it sucks and forums truly are a better option. So the more like facebook ,the more popular other forms are.

But its not just that. Paintball is at a lull. Not many people are bringing diverse and different products out. Not many people care to show making a Tippmann Carbine into a closed bolt gun or other custom gun work. Its saturation of(for me 22 years) of paintball. There is no want to anymore, no fire, no one pushing you to go further with it. Dare i say, apathy.

Here you go, when was the last time you were excited, and i mean, really excited over a paintball product that you couldn't wait to go out and play? Or maybe a game that was awesome in all aspects that only whetted your appetite to go out again?

I don't know if its laziness. I still can't figure out instagram, maybe I'm just getting old.

I do think the difficulty of dredging up old data is by design, and I think people are attracted to that. It used to be that things on the internet stayed on the internet forever, but with the way new social media is structured its not; it's around briefly, then it's difficult to access for the average user and available for sale to those willing to pay. I think the average user is (maybe deceivingly) comforted knowing their online interactions seem to be more fleeting than permanent. That was actually the entire pitch behind SnapChat, and it was around for a while.

But its not just that. Paintball is at a lull. Not many people are bringing diverse and different products out. Not many people care to show making a Tippmann Carbine into a closed bolt gun or other custom gun work. Its saturation of(for me 22 years) of paintball. There is no want to anymore, no fire, no one pushing you to go further with it. Dare i say, apathy.
    Like it or not the game has matured to a point where the market does not reward that kind of risk taking. I suspect there are a lot of people here who'd like to see things different than they are, but given that it takes $300k + just in development costs for a legitimate company, into a market selling on the order of thousands of units, that's an untenable risk.

To add to that, any real change will require a bottom-up approach that means engineering and building an entire new system. A marker alone is $$$, a high-speed hopper is just as much if not more. Tanks are a non-starter. It's just a very constrained design space at this point.

But you know, I'd love to be wrong.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I don't know if its laziness. I still can't figure out instagram, maybe I'm just getting old.

I do think the difficulty of dredging up old data is by design, and I think people are attracted to that. It used to be that things on the internet stayed on the internet forever, but with the way new social media is structured its not; it's around briefly, then it's difficult to access for the average user and available for sale to those willing to pay. I think the average user is (maybe deceivingly) comforted knowing their online interactions seem to be more fleeting than permanent. That was actually the entire pitch behind SnapChat, and it was around for a while.
    I never thought about it in that way. It is a shame but makes sense people are so scared of being wrong or want to say stupid shit and not have it be around forever is a bigger draw than actually having a way of retaining knowledge.

It is damn disheartening, I guess, but makes complete sense as to why people are flocking away from actual structured ways of communicating and debating and easily retaining the information. Just shows the stupidity of people feeling safer expressing their opinions on social media if they fear that it is being recorded.....

idk i had finally after all these years bought a dragon timmy, always wanted one. and it sat around for almost 2 years before i played with it. i think your into the game for the wrong reasons if the tech is is what drives you to play, not you know, playing the game.

ive been on the once or twice a summer playing rhythm for the last few years, basically since ive been taking racing seriously. i always enjoy it, and i always wish i could play more, but i just dont have time and money, multiple partners, maintaining 2 race cars, and racing them ... im dead.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post

Like it or not the game has matured to a point where the market does not reward that kind of risk taking. I suspect there are a lot of people here who'd like to see things different than they are, but given that it takes $300k + just in development costs for a legitimate company, into a market selling on the order of thousands of units, that's an untenable risk.

To add to that, any real change will require a bottom-up approach that means engineering and building an entire new system. A marker alone is $$$, a high-speed hopper is just as much if not more. Tanks are a non-starter. It's just a very constrained design space at this point.

But you know, I'd love to be wrong.
    About the example tippmann and custom gun, i was looking more at personal projects, NOT production guns. Hung around Simon enough to see first hand the trials of putting a gun out. $75k in screws and bits should be enough to scare off any sane person, for right or for wrong.

But i too, want, wish, yearn to be proven wrong. I want the RoF wars, i want competing productz, i want market dominance to be challenged by the upstart. I'm not going to see it in this marketplace, maybe when the next groundbreaking tech push comes, but not with what we have

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    idk i had finally after all these years bought a dragon timmy, always wanted one. and it sat around for almost 2 years before i played with it. i think your into the game for the wrong reasons if the tech is is what drives you to play, not you know, playing the game.

ive been on the once or twice a summer playing rhythm for the last few years, basically since ive been taking racing seriously. i always enjoy it, and i always wish i could play more, but i just dont have time and money, multiple partners, maintaining 2 race cars, and racing them ... im dead.
    So for however long you've been playing, why do you still play? Is it the chance to use some piece of equipment that you always wanted bjt could never afford? Is it the chance to play at certain events? Is it to play in all 50 US states? I am not saying that tech is or should be the only thing to push(which was not my point), but after a certain point, tech is the only thing left. Everyone knows what walkon play is like, or a scenario game, 24hr, big game, tournament, whatever. Yes, friends bring more to the game, as it always better when you enjoy it with a friend(s).but what is that crux that makes you keep coming back, and not just outright sale/cold storage everything and move onto a new hobby? Or, like so many of us, just play because that is what we do every month? I am finding it harder and harder to drag my tired ass out tonplay anymore.