Page 279 of 418 FirstFirst ... 179229269277278279280281289329379 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,790 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    never talk to a metrologist about ISO 9000

oh man.
    Enlighten me?
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Anyone here work in an ISO 9000 shop?

What software do you use for inventory/quality management?
    When I did, SAP business warehouse and some other SAP console. We were also a CMMI level 5 company, so our processes were quite strict. I do think most MRP programs are fairly similar.
    Last edited by ironyusa; 11-11-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Enlighten me?
    ISO 9000 is about traceablity back to a standard artifact.

metrology is best done when you can do self checking, and thus you don't need to be traceable to a standard anymore.

technically, most reversal measurements are ISO 9000 compliant, but in reality, most ISO folks can't figure out how you can make something accurately without tracebility to a standard. they don't understand how to build accuracy from non-accuracy, rather than just being slightly less accurate than some standard artifact.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Fuck. I accidentally bought sugar-free pound cake. I hate it when I do that.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

So you bought a block of foam?
    I don't know, fly casual

Maybe your Freudian slip is telling you that sugar is bad...

saw the new bladerunner.

i enjoyed it. not sure its as philosophical as the original, but it was pretty dang good. certainly a beautiful work of film.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 11-12-2017 at 07:47 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTheWookie View Post
    So you bought a block of foam?
    LOL essentially, yes. Probably roughly the same chemical composition too :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Maybe your Freudian slip is telling you that sugar is bad...
    If anything the slip is telling me don't eat sugar, eat Splenda (TM) instead!

Kind of seems like it's the trend these days, a lot of beautiful movies... harder to find really good films that will make you think.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 11-12-2017 at 07:59 PM.

Kind of seems like it's the trend these days, a lot of beautiful movies... harder to find really good films that will make you think.
    That is because the studios, who control the money to make the movie, do not want people to think. Why do you think that the same movies get remade over and over again. Even successful franchaises, get reboots, because the studios want to keep making the same films, till the masses stop throwing money at them (read Spider-man, Fantastic Four, Star Trek and Star Wars).

In the golden age of movies in the 70s, the studios were caught off guard and to a point had a only a real concern if the films went over budget. Prime example is the original 'Rollerball'. That film literally shows how companies(there are no more nationailities, just literally companies-power, food, etc) that are or have the power are making decisions on EVERYTHING, not for the good, or the betterment of society but because of greed, for their own personal wants. Not only does the film stand for personal freedoms, but is anti-establishment, held in a the guise of a simple game turned blood sport.

Apocalypse Now, Logan's Run, Deer Hunter, the China Syndrome, Network, Silent Running, but to name a few. All make you think, but studios don't want that because thinking films aren't blockbusters, that make 3x the movie costs in the first weekend. Popcorn, comic book, big extravaganza films are easier and ultimately better for the marketing than films that try to pose a question.
    Last edited by Nobody; 11-13-2017 at 05:21 AM.

I don't think it's as conspiracy theory-ish add you describe exactly.

They've figured out that what we want to see, we will pay for. Right now, we want to see fun, entertaining movies.

The other, more thought provoking movies are still being made and shown at film festivals etc, but not necessarily brought to theaters because there isn't as much of a market... All of which you had mentioned but was bookended by your other points.