Page 95 of 418 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    SA1.1 FTW! Ha.

I don't do a lot of work on Nema 7, or even 4X with this new job - mostly Type 1. Even for the nuke stuff. I guess people found out how to work inside around things that don't go boom, or something.
    Dang, you've got smart customers. You wouldn't believe how many ask me to put graphic-intensive touch panels in explosive areas. My first response is always, "Why would you want your operators regularly entering an area that could explode?" (and yet, half the time they still have us put them in anyway). It also seems to be more of a PLC/DCS thing. DCS customers are more likely to have dedicated rack rooms and separate marshalling. PLC customers tend to throw the panels wherever they can get away with the shortest wire runs, marshalling inside the cabinet, and if you're lucky, nothing more than 220V.

Insider
    Dang, you've got smart customers.
    I wish I could say that... ha! Actually I do, but the big thing is the clients changes from Oil/Gas that have to operate in Class1/Div1-2 areas to Water, Pulp, Nuclear or Processing work. Such a different environment. I have seen local panels with small PLC all over, to complex panel jobs that I can't even talk about, but the products are (for the most part) far less violate.

Something about work environment and choices. Ha! What are you working on over there/

And are you going to Fulda Gap?
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by Unfated33 View Post
    Welcome to the Order! I always enjoy working with Canadians, as the domestic engineers always look at me squirrelly and don't understand why I'm wearing a pinky ring.
    Thank you! I know the US ring is different, but I'm not certain how the requirements change.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    congrats! i lost mine a while ago.

can't say i miss it, rings are very unsafe. can't wear it anywhere anyway seems like.
    Ya, I've definitely done enough field work to know its an office thing. Met too many people that had to get theirs cut off their fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Oof. Any operations in particular or just all of it being a bit more refined and adding up?
    The machining is one thing, stuff like the narrow deep slot for the trigger plate sucks, and the fact we have so many chamfers, radii and features adds up, but the biggest issue is the number of parts and cost of the parts in small runs for all the pieces you need to make a frame functional. There are 27! parts to put together a full slider frame. I have designed guns with less parts (just kidding but it feels like it). The cost of those parts (most we have to outsource) is just making the full frames painfully expensive

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    Wearing a ring is weird.... I guess it's already serving its purpose.
    I used to hate it, now it feels weird not having it.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    congrats! i lost mine a while ago.

can't say i miss it, rings are very unsafe. can't wear it anywhere anyway seems like.
    I wear one of the silicon rubber rings for just that reason, and it is awesome. Far more comfortable than a solid ring, and very safe in comparison. I will never wear a solid ring and be around a machine shop/tools. I have seen some horrendous pictures of what can happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I wear one of the silicon rubber rings for just that reason, and it is awesome. Far more comfortable than a solid ring, and very safe in comparison. I will never wear a solid ring and be around a machine shop/tools. I have seen some horrendous pictures of what can happen!
    yeah i know a couple of guys with those. mostly i mock there wives insecurities. 100k+ rpm spindles and rings are a NO GO.

but they also get in the way when working on cars, so between no wearing a ring at work for safety reasons, and spending the rest of my time in the garage, or sleeping ... i mean ... what really is the point? tell my pillow or the rando in my bed im an engineer? they already know that from the constant dirt under my nails.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Congratulations, New Ion.

In the labs I used to work in they were a hazard because they'd reflect laser light out of the optical plane (and potentially into an eye)

A friend of mine got his ring tattooed on. He is a heavy equipment mechanic and says it just gets into the way. He did say that he made sure not to put his wifes name on the tattoo so if he got re-married he could just use the tattoo ring for his next wife.

off topic, was visiting my sister in Montana and saw this liscence plate in a parking lot:

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    I wish I could say that... ha! Actually I do, but the big thing is the clients changes from Oil/Gas that have to operate in Class1/Div1-2 areas to Water, Pulp, Nuclear or Processing work. Such a different environment. I have seen local panels with small PLC all over, to complex panel jobs that I can't even talk about, but the products are (for the most part) far less violate.

Something about work environment and choices. Ha! What are you working on over there/

And are you going to Fulda Gap?
    Oh you know - they've made me a slave to pulp and paper for this year and probably next. A couple of power jobs but nothing that will keep me away from pulp for too long. My fun days of polymers and specialty chem must be behind me, and water is starting to be half a decade gone. I really miss water projects.

I had all my plans set to go to Fulda this year and bring my daughter for the first time, but the rains have pushed out the countywide softball playoffs to the same weekend. I won't win that argument with the wife or daughter. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by evil_racecocker View Post
    off topic, was visiting my sister in Montana and saw this liscence plate in a parking lot:

ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.