Page 232 of 418 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242282332 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,320 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Yea the red text is just kind of screaming errors to me.

ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

Birmingham, UK (originally a Seattle native)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Sucks, sorry man
    Well, sliver linings and all - apparently it's not illegal to lock it up with detcord.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

So maybe I should start a new thread for this, but I'm curious - when changing tools in a CNC mill, how do you know/measure the tool length/position? I did a quick google search the other day and I didn't see anything that mentioned it.

Long story short, having fun following a 3D printing build where the guy talks about tool changing and is building it so that he can do just that, but I feel like he might not be taking all prior knowledge on the matter into consideration.

You set offset values into the control for each tool number so it knows how to compensate the machine. You can set the values manually or via a tool touch/probe.

I suspect a tool change on a 3D printer might be quite a bit more difficult, unless I'm missing something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzqHQqXtxMc

https://youtu.be/5lJos-2QxYc?t=41s

Edit: When you put the tool in the spindle you set the length. Missed the "set length" bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNjMIIRttFE
    Last edited by PBSteve; 10-02-2017 at 03:32 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Simon, new skin looks great.

Somewhat on topic, but spurred by Simon's comment about Mike Wood being the pioneer of spool valves in paintball. Did the novas pre-date the automag? I don't know the time line of things like the equalizer either. So, is the nova really the 1st spool?

The Automag was before the Nova but I am not sure I class it as a spool valve in the same way as I would the Nova.

yeah i think the "first spool" really depends on your definition of what a spool valve is.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.