Page 256 of 418 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258266306356 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,560 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I don't even know if I'm registered over there. Might have posted once or twice, maybe I would feel at home there.

Next time you bring it up don't act the coward and try to hide your bigotry behind your political affiliation, as if that excuses it or somehow makes you the victim.
    We're just assholes
    Checks out.

I don't even know if I'm registered over there. Might have posted once or twice, maybe I would feel at home there.

Next time you bring it up don't act the coward and try to hide your bigotry behind your political affiliation, as if that excuses it or somehow makes you the victim.

Truth is truth my friend, it isnt popular, but that doesnt make it any less truth.

This is America, God bless America, you are welcome to believe anything you can possibly imagine, but that doesnt make it true.

And for your information my voter registration says NPA.

I am not a coward, nor a bigot, nor affiliated with a political party, I love truth, you are certainly welcome to denigrate me, this is America.

I do not wear the blinders of political correctness.

As Paul Harvey used to say, "good day".

endeavor to persevere.......

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Truth is truth my friend, it isnt popular, but that doesnt make it any less truth.

I am not a coward, nor a bigot, nor affiliated with a political party, I love truth, you are certainly welcome to denigrate me, this is America.
    "Truth" by declaration is not truth, it is merely declaration.

You may call me blind to denigrate my position without actually making the effort to address it, but anyone reading this conversation sees through it. I'm not very PC, like you I'm just an asshole.

Good day.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    Checks out.
    Not putting up with bullshit doesn't make one an asshole.
    I don't know, fly casual

Insider
    Bro, it totally does.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

yeah MCB has a pretty strict "no politics anywhere" rule, so thats pretty standard violation.

the harassment from the mods is not uncommon though.

for the record, dirty liberal here, islam is absolutely fundamentally dangerous. a poll of british muslims nearly 40% claimed you should be put to death for blaphemey against allah. any way you slice that, its against enlightenment values of freedom of speech, and freedom from religion. islam is dangerous no doubt.

then again a poll came out yesterday stating that 46% of americans believe the press is making up stories about trump, and a whopping 76% of republicans believe that. and a CRAZY 46% believe that trump should have the power to shut down news organisations that print/broadcast things against him. however you believe, whatever your political position, 46% of republicans do not believe in the freedom of press. thats downright terrifying.

i can rag the left too, the push for censorship on college campus' is a problem. certain parts of feminism, certain racial and hertage groups are calling for fundamentally anti-intellectual censorship or disenfranchisement. or in some cases just simply nonsense. one cannot "decolonize" science. its science. no matter your race, or gender, or sex bits, its the same. there is no such thing as feminist science etc

so really, fundamental threats to enlightenment values that founded and created this nation, are pretty much a daily occurrence at this point. islam is by no means unique in the world for fostering anti-enlightenment, and anti-intellectual ideas. it is one of the first groups to resort to violence over it though.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 10-19-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I heard porpoise/dolphins feeding last night, in the ICW (intercoastal waterway) the other night. Surprised me a bit. That is all.

Insider
    I heard Foo Fighters last night. I think I can still hear them...

CRAZY 46% believe that trump should have the power to shut down news organisations that print/broadcast things against him. however you believe, whatever your political position, 46% of republicans do not believe in the freedom of press. thats downright terrifying.
    So is this:

https://today.yougov.com/news/2015/05/20/hate-speech/

YouGov's latest research shows that many Americans support making it a criminal offense to make public statements which would stir up hatred against particular groups of people. Americans narrowly support (41%) rather than oppose (37%) criminalizing hate speech, but this conceals a partisan divide. Most Democrats (51%) support criminalizing hate speech, with only 26% opposed. Independents (41% to 35%) and Republicans (47% to 37%) tend to oppose making it illegal to stir up hatred against particular groups.
    So, in a similar manner, 51% democrats oppose freedom of speech, and only 26% actively support it. The joy of reading polls.

Let's just say ignorance of the importance of FoS/1A is rampant on both sides?

I agree with the rest of what you said though - and just pointing out "Bigot!" like Steve did because someone has a valid point that is opposite of theirs is a slur, not a reasoned argument. If you have a point I would welcome it, but just insulting somebody is not reasoning. It is illiberal behavior.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    I heard Foo Fighters last night. I think I can still hear them...

So is this:

https://today.yougov.com/news/2015/05/20/hate-speech/

So, in a similar manner, 51% democrats oppose freedom of speech, and only 26% actively support it. The joy of reading pools.

Let's just say ignorance of the importance of FoS/1A is rampant on both sides?

I agree with the rest of what you said though - and just pointing out "Bigot!" like Steve did because someone has a valid point that is opposite of theirs is a slur, not a reasoned argument. If you have a point I would welcome it, but just insulting somebody is not reasoning. It is illiberal behavior.
    hate speech is tricky. its a hurrah word right? it means something different to anyone who uses it which makes it tough to put in a poll and accurately understand.

I think that calling for violence against a group of people, just for being a member of such a group, is hate speech, and probably shouldn't be legal, in the same way that death threats are not protected speech. but others use the term hate speech to include all sorts of silly stuff and then it becomes censorship.

this is why i think the way to make polling and opinion understanding more accurate is to present something not at a idea, or hurrah word, but to present a course of action. ie, if you want an accurate poll on hate speech, suggest some actual phrases and whether they should be legal or not, don't just use the term "hate speech" because it means something different to you, as it does me, as it does everyone.

so called "hurrah words" are very annoying IMO, and ultimately cloud the issue, rather than clarify it. such as the poll about trump shutting down news organizations that publish things against him ... thats a very specific action. rather than asking something general.

make america great again .... its just a list of a hurrah words with no useful meaning.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    I agree with how you defined Hurrah words and their problem. Watching people get all wound up about the power of words and related censorship I think you encompassed well.

That being said - the control on free speech as used in that context also was the use of harrah statements to a point, with a related conclusion. They were not asked straight out if they think freedom of the press should be curtailed - it was inferred.

The question was, as polled:

"It asked Americans whether they would support “permitting the courts to shut down news media outlets for publishing or broadcasting stories that are biased or inaccurate.”
    Biased? how? Inaccurate? Those are wide variables also.

make america great again .... its just a list of a hurrah words with no useful meaning.
    HOPE.

With Her.

Change.

Heal. Inspire. Revive

A political revolution is coming

A New American Century

None of them do really.

Of course, then we have Rand Paul: "Defeat The Washington Machine. Unleash The American Dream."

Last edited by pbjosh; 10-19-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com