Page 316 of 418 FirstFirst ... 216266306314315316317318326366416 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,160 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i think true self driving is going to take a lot longer than folks think it will. i also think it will require at least some infrastructure upgrades (which if you live in the USA will take 25+ years because 'merica hates government, even when its re-paving there own street). driving is already boring for 99% of the public.

I do think that socialization of the cost of ownership will come faster than self driving cars. personal car ownership for most people will be over in the next 10 years. but i think your going to have to continue to drive "your car" under some conditions for the foreseeable future.
    I agree with most of this, but I think the infrastructure roll-out can be done reasonably within 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    I agree with most of this, but I think the infrastructure roll-out can be done reasonably within 10 years.
    sure, after the 20 year battle to actually decide to do it.

cause 'merica

im saying the politics of it will be the problem, not the technology to actually implement it.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
    I know you're a dealer but are you sure about all this? Ford's news release says the only cars ("car" being non-trucks/SUVs) they're keeping are the Mustang and the Focus Active crossover (https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...financials.pdf). It doesn't sound like they're keeping the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, and Focus RS around. edit: Ford's taking these cars out of North America, not globally.
    No, not 100% sure. I suppose saying the ST line won't be hit at all isn't entirely right. I am, however, 100% sure the current versions of the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, and Focus RS are nearing or at their end. I suspect they'll be replaced with something, but I don't know for sure what. Hearing rumors the next-gen Focus ST will see the 2.3 EcoBoost with somewhere in the 400hp range. Which would be bonkers.

And until a manufacturer can guarantee absolute reliability in automotive electronics, self-driving cars are not going to be a mainstream thing. They'll be a publicity stunt that has tragic consequences when they fail out. Can you imagine the police report and fault assignment on that one? Think the manufacturers will be willing to take that on?

Good Lord I cannot wait until all the other morons watching YouTube on the interstate have the wheel taken from them. If I have to give up the wheel too, so be it.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Insider
    I'm with Steve. The other thing is that this is market pull driven, and liability limited.

Google/waymo is already superhuman in driving performance. They'll be able to eliminate most edge cases using their current simulation infrastructure in a year or two. As soon as they add real world feedback, it's going to be over.

Google quietly developed their tpu processors and waymo uses a modified tensorflow. I believe that they are well on their way to being the operating system of self driving, licensing both hardware and software. They just showed power and cost equivalence to Nvidia.

I agree that the macro trend will be away from ownership, but there can also be a lot more specialization. It's interesting that people are loathe to separate the everyday use from the hobbyist use.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    I agree that the macro trend will be away from ownership, but there can also be a lot more specialization. It's interesting that people are loathe to separate the everyday use from the hobbyist use.
    100% this. I'm a believer of a future where we won't own vehicles for A-B, it'll be autonomous taxis. Vehicles will only be owned for pleasure use.

Like horses.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    100% this. I'm a believer of a future where we won't own vehicles for A-B, it'll be autonomous taxis. Vehicles will only be owned for pleasure use.

Like horses.
    I LOVE that direction. For the reasons Steve mentioned, routine traffic stops, insurance, etc. It has many disruptive implications and I like it.

Insider
    I am so going to be Will Smith in I, Robot...

400hp in a FWD focus ST will be silly and the torque steer near undriveable unless they do something nice like the previous generation focus RS's crazy suspension or mechanical LSD. This brake based torque vectoring thing totally turned me off on the focus ST.
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

Agreed. 300 HP would be the perfect amount in the ST.

Go crazy with the RS, though. By all means.
    OlllllllO

I'm on board with that. Put out a 300hp ST, and the sky's the limit with an AWD RS model.

Alas, those decisions are made well above my pay grade. I'm just happy to start the month with a sale on the board.