Page 381 of 418 FirstFirst ... 281331371379380381382383391 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,810 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    I recently fostered, of sorts of a new dog. The owner is dying. It might be next week, might be next year, so she is getting all her affairs in order. So this visit was to allow the owner to go into the hospital for a procedure, while seeing how the dog is in my home and with my cat. This will be my first male(all others had been females) and the dog has some bad traits and minor abuse from the owner's developmental cchallenged daughter(who you can't blame). So the dog doesn't like hairdryers, or trash bags, and will bark.

But my previous dog was abused. She was a happy pee'er. When she was happy, she would pee. This is a trait that most dogs will grow out of it. The old owner, when this happened, would get upset, and then she would pee again, exacerbating the problem. It was a vicious circle and the old owner didn't understand that. where when we got her, i suspected they chased her with brooms, locked her in a laundry room, shot the water hose at her and did bad things. She reacted all violently towards those things, biting a brrom for example.

A lot of it, we found out afterwards. The peeing, was remedied by immediately letting the dog outside upon greeting(she would be happy to see you come home & then pee) and doing the greeting & peeing outside, to mitigate the peeing and to save the mess, as well as not showing anger when a mistake happens. After 8 years she got remarkably better to the point where she barely ever did it anymore. Suffice to say, behavior can be changed, but requires time, patience and understanding.

So give it time and love.
    I'm glad you were able to give the dog a good home - Brad (the previous foster) wasn't given any rules and then punished when he broke them, It took us about 2 months to break all the bad habits etc, give him new rules, and lots of love.

Libby is coming along nicely, in all honesty. I took Alexa for a walk, and left my work phone to record video. I found out she's 'escaping' the segregated area to wander around the living room - seems she's totally comfortable in the house, but not comfortable around me. Going to try to get her outside today, and see if she'll play in the back yard.

For having to deal with 20+ movies and TV shows, Endgame did a pretty good job of finishing everything. I can't imagine what it must have been like writing that movie trying to figure out how in the hell they were going to deal with all that continuity.
    I don't know, fly casual

Really? Felt like it was written by focus groups. But then most superhero movies over the last few years do.

I also 100% do not understand Captain Marvel as a character.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post

I also 100% do not understand Captain Marvel as a character.
    Neither did the producers, writers or director of the movie

my weekend was just miatas.

social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    re: endgame i think they had to satisfy a lot of design constraints. A 3 hour run time and [REDACTED PLOT DEVICE] help ease those constraints, but there's still lots of beats to hit. They're executing at a way higher level than GoT, but I'm pretty comic-book-movie'd out, tbh.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    I'm pretty comic-book-movie'd out, tbh.
    I was there by the end of the first Avengers movie back in 2012, I think this is the first one I've seen in theaters since.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

In reflecting on my schooling experience, I'm increasingly frustrated about the focus on form and lack of focus on function. In my job nobody gives a shit how you title a cover page. Nobody cares if your grammar sucks - most of them barely speak English anyway. Nobody even cares if your math is perfect, in physics everything is "order of magnitude" anyway.

All people care about is "does it work, and did you adequately communicate it to me".

And frankly, a huge part of my job is "no, it didn't work for xyz reasons". And it happens, a LOT. As it turns out, putting parts in a hard vacuum and heating them to a fifth the temperature of the surface of the sun is a tricky proposition. Shit goes wrong. Teaching rote fundamentals is important, but learning to apply them creatively and coherently and fail gracefully doing it is the important part. I never really learned how to fail. And repeatedly. Although this job is certainly teaching me, fwiw.

*Rant over*

I've had the opposite experience in my undergrad classes. The work I did as an undergrad (for aerospace engineering) is remarkably similar to the work I'm doing now (also for aerospace engineering). However, my Master's coursework (in computer science) matches your experience. The coursework focuses only on theory while the coding I do at work is purely "readable, maintainable code that works." Maybe it's a difference between science and engineering, but I also don't know if my current job is indicative of typical aerospace work.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

the farther i go in my career the less i see technical or scientific problems, and the more i see ALL problems as organizational or motivational. either you don't have the organization to tackle the problem, or you lack the vision to go after it effectively. the scientific and technical details are minor issues compared these.

#bigscience

schools teaches you the technical details. but really, they are largely insignificant in terms of figuring out why things dont work the way they should, or need to.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.