Page 221 of 418 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231271321 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
    Jack, do you still have the Cayman? I got my first up close look at a GT4 last weekend and it was a sight to behold.
    No. I am currently Porsche-less due to a big house project. So the GT4 went at the start of the year and the GT3 (sob) went a few months ago. I ran a 997.2 GTS as a daily for 18 months or so but I sold that when we moved to the Money Pit last summer. What I don't understand is while I got rid of all my cars, the wife still seems to driving round in a Merc C63 AMG..... very strange.....
    Dear boy, I work at Planet Eclipse, don't you know..

Quote Originally Posted by UV Halo View Post
    Question from a non-racer: What is it about FWD that you really hate? I assume it's something more than just torque steer. What's got me wondering is the 2018 Civic Type R as wired ran a pretty good article on how they managed to effectively kill the torque steer coming from the 300HP engine.
    lots of reasons. i mean what lurker posted is true, the fundamental problem with FWD is that doing what you want to do (drive hard) basically always unloads the wheels you need to do it. the cars also themselves tend to not be fun or cool, like hot hatches are just kinda boring to me. i had one, it was fine, i dont want another one. the cars also are not designed well for performance driving, very front heavy, very light in the back. i also find them boring to drive, you really have no interplay between the parts of the car, you don't have any handle on the balance of the car mid corner, because the only wheels that matter ever are the fronts. power on = understeer. unlike in a RWD car where adjusting the power can change the slip angle, and the balance of the grip with the front wheels, that to me is THE purpose of driving. its the only fun part of driving. controlling the car on entry, through mid corner, to exit. there just isn't that with FWD cars (and most AWD cars).

you can make FWD cars fast. i don't think anyone has figured out a way to make a RWD quicker than a CRX Si or the same generation civic. the miatas should be able to do it, and they do sometimes, but i think the civics are quicker in STS. FWD can be very fast, and be made to work for racing. but really it bores me, there isn't anything there for me to enjoy.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
    No. I am currently Porsche-less due to a big house project. So the GT4 went at the start of the year and the GT3 (sob) went a few months ago. I ran a 997.2 GTS as a daily for 18 months or so but I sold that when we moved to the Money Pit last summer. What I don't understand is while I got rid of all my cars, the wife still seems to driving round in a Merc C63 AMG..... very strange.....
    why on earth did you sell the GT3? its a current classic!
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Acceleration moves weight to the back wheels, braking moves weight up front.

Fwd will pretty much always have power on traction issues and because so front heavy tend to have poor corner dynamics as well. (The svt is stripped and actually oversteers when trail braked. I moved the battery to the back and it helps, but isn't a full solution.

Torque steer isn't that much of a real issue in comparison

911 is the answer for a good reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    lots of reasons. i mean what lurker posted is true, the fundamental problem with FWD is that doing what you want to do (drive hard) basically always unloads the wheels you need to do it. the cars also themselves tend to not be fun or cool, like hot hatches are just kinda boring to me. i had one, it was fine, i dont want another one. the cars also are not designed well for performance driving, very front heavy, very light in the back. i also find them boring to drive, you really have no interplay between the parts of the car, you don't have any handle on the balance of the car mid corner, because the only wheels that matter ever are the fronts. power on = understeer. unlike in a RWD car where adjusting the power can change the slip angle, and the balance of the grip with the front wheels, that to me is THE purpose of driving. its the only fun part of driving. controlling the car on entry, through mid corner, to exit. there just isn't that with FWD cars (and most AWD cars).

you can make FWD cars fast. i don't think anyone has figured out a way to make a RWD quicker than a CRX Si or the same generation civic. the miatas should be able to do it, and they do sometimes, but i think the civics are quicker in STS. FWD can be very fast, and be made to work for racing. but really it bores me, there isn't anything there for me to enjoy.
    Thanks guys!!

Jack, that's a sweet ride.....when I was over in Monaco for the race I saw a bunch of those 1 hatches and caught myself drooling over the M's.

I've got a '17 Focus RS. Do I qualify?
    Is the ride quality of the Focus RS as harsh on the street as its reputation suggests?

Also, don't you work for FCA?

Quote Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
    Is the ride quality of the Focus RS as harsh on the street as its reputation suggests?

Also, don't you work for FCA?
    I work for FCA and own two Jeeps. But FCA doesn't build a car that fits my DD requirements - a 4 door hatchback with at least 300 HP, AWD and a manual transmission. Let alone one that's built to provide great enjoyment and driver engagement while not being a total hog. FCA no longer builds a driver's car (hint: that was the Viper).

The ride quality is taught, indeed. I don't have an issue with it but some people definitely will. If you are interested in one you really just need to drive one in order to determine if the ride will be a problem for you or not. My compliance for ride quality is higher than most because I value handling, responsiveness and an engaging experience so highly.
    OlllllllO

Do you get a lot of flack for having a non-FCA car? I've heard some horror stories from friends who drive off-brand or non-domestic cars working at the Big 3.

Not really. I'm a fairly well-liked manager at my plant and everyone knows I'm just as much of a Jeep nut as I am a (other car) nut. The car guys fully understand. The blind FCA lifer faithful tend to complain but what else is new in a UAW workplace.
    OlllllllO

My DD is FCA. A ram 1500 4x4 with the transmission imped builds. I work from home, so I needed the fuel economy.

But FCA doesn't build a car that fits my DD requirements - a 4 door hatchback with at least 300 HP, AWD and a manual transmission.
    I love that you said this in complete seriousness.

Seriously though, save the stick
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon