Thread: The OT thread V1

Insider
    Fiesta ST=FiST
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Insider
    ill amend my previous statement. in 2 inches of snow, street driving is perfection.
    That is basically how I learned to drive. I took my drivers test in 3-4 inches of snow.

Drifting a '77 crew-cab 1.5 ton 454 powered dually on roads that are 6" of solid ice is hella fun.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

I'd love for us to get our hands on a Fiesta ST... AND a Focus RS. We've had neither since I've been at the dealership. The two Focus ST's we've gotten in were both sales I made and had a lot of fun with. Just sent a WRX down the road as well. But I really want to play with an RS.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i mean almost any modern engine can run 87 if you want to. they will just pull timing.

i actually love the twins (as they are often called), they even have a new spec series for autocrossing them called solo spec coupe. i just get nervous around subaru engines. though im told the fact that its NA, and the new direct injection engine it doesn't have the ring land, headgasket and overheating problems the non-direct injection engines had.
    Thing is, that Subaru kind of states straight up not to run anything less than 91. Ford says go ahead with 87.

Ya, apparently the FA20 is pretty solid - the 86 engine is effectively the WRX block, but running higher compression because it's N/A. I've heard of some guys complaining about con rods because they're slightly off-centre and that limits potential when compared to the EJ, but the EJ has also had ~20yrs for guys to learn it and its failure modes.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    What's a FiST?
    Ya, Fiesta ST. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    I'd love for us to get our hands on a Fiesta ST... AND a Focus RS. We've had neither since I've been at the dealership. The two Focus ST's we've gotten in were both sales I made and had a lot of fun with. Just sent a WRX down the road as well. But I really want to play with an RS.
    I think Matt Farah put it pretty nicely, saying something to the effect of "it makes everyday grocery store runs fun" whereas he found the RS too much. Too stiff, seats uncomfortable, etc. I found the 86 to have a similar effect to the GTI - it's... too good? It wasn't fun to drive around town, and needed jail-speeds for me to feel something in it. Which says great things about both cars, just turned both of them into something I didn't really want..?

Imped, you're right - the 86 is pretty much the other side of the coin when compared to the RS. I'm glad you're enjoying both. I did enjoy my time in an 86 - the driving position is perfect and it handles telepathically. It's a fun car, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
    It's actually got a very solid reliability reputation, especially after 2015 (I picked up a '17). It's PI and DI if you weren't aware.

And ion, I also have a Ford hot hatch....Focus RS. The BRZ is the ying to its yang.
    literally every subaru-designed engine since the early 1990s is a total pile of garbage besides the 2.2L.

so count me as "still suspicious" of them. i know reports are good on the new generation (designed with toyota), but man, thats a lot to live down in my book.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    on roads that are 6" of solid ice is hella fun.

also trucks handle on ice like total garbage. i mean trucks handle like garbage in any conditions, but esp on ice.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Speaking of cars, could any of our European friends put their hands on some Euro-spec parts we can't quite get here? I have a coworker looking for a set of 2016 Mondeo sequential LED headlights. We don't actually know if they'd "plug and play" into his 16 Fusion, but I'd think they probably might.

Speaking of cars, could any of our European friends put their hands on some Euro-spec parts we can't quite get here? I have a coworker looking for a set of 2016 Mondeo sequential LED headlights. We don't actually know if they'd "plug and play" into his 16 Fusion, but I'd think they probably might.
    ebay should find em for you

A lot of what's on eBay is coming out of China, and aren't the right ones. We looked this morning and didn't come up with anything that was quite right.

Then again, are salvage yard parts a thing in Europe? I know here, I can tap into half a dozen decent parts businesses locally, but I don't know if that's an America-only kind of thing.

I drove my first FiST last weekend, fun car.

The RS is great, great fun. I've yet to drive another car that just feels "dialed up" to the level that it does....it just feels like there's a ton of potential energy just waiting to be released into kinetic. The steering is lightning, brakes are powerful, and it hurries like few other cars on a twisty road. If you do get a chance, make sure to put the drive mode into "Drift." Not for drifting, mind you, unless you just really want to. But, that sends a permanent 70% power to the rear, making the car hyper-rotational and light on its feet. I've yet to get it to not oversteer in that mode, it's really wonderful. It's the best mode for carving up corners.
    Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    I think Matt Farah put it pretty nicely, saying something to the effect of "it makes everyday grocery store runs fun" whereas he found the RS too much. Too stiff, seats uncomfortable, etc. I found the 86 to have a similar effect to the GTI - it's... too good? It wasn't fun to drive around town, and needed jail-speeds for me to feel something in it. Which says great things about both cars, just turned both of them into something I didn't really want..?

Imped, you're right - the 86 is pretty much the other side of the coin when compared to the RS. I'm glad you're enjoying both. I did enjoy my time in an 86 - the driving position is perfect and it handles telepathically. It's a fun car, that's for sure.
    I saw Matt's article. I don't know.....I've put 24k miles on the car since new. It's a 2017....so clearly, I drive it a lot, and it's not because it's uncomfortable. My biggest complaint is that the seating position isn't 2" lower. Personally, I love the seats and suspension. But, I'm pretty tolerant so maybe that's it....hell, I used to DD a near buggy-level TJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    literally every subaru-designed engine since the early 1990s is a total pile of garbage besides the 2.2L.

so count me as "still suspicious" of them. i know reports are good on the new generation (designed with toyota), but man, thats a lot to live down in my book.
    Eh, not worried. They make great LS swap candidates if that time comes.
    Last edited by imped4now; 11-30-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    OlllllllO