Page 280 of 280 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280
Results 2,791 to 2,795 of 2795

Thread: The OT thread V1

i actually agree with nobody. studios are hurting badly, and seem to be going down a "mega blockbuster or we don't care" route with films. this is a route to certain failure IMO.

which is fine, because netflix and amazon are making better shit than i've seen in a theater in a long time.
    "the fact is, Jack Rice and team make a paintball gun, that works, and works pretty well actually. I think that says everything that needs to be said about the state of paintball gun engineering"

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Apocalypse Now, Logan's Run, Deer Hunter, the China Syndrome, Network, Silent Running, but to name a few. All make you think, but studios don't want that because thinking films aren't blockbusters
    I don't know if you can blame the studios for that.

No, i don't know what they think, but looking at what they put out as product it does.

When you have an infestment of money, as a studion, you have to put it out there, to get people to notice it, to get people coming in to buy the tickets to recoup that costs. That is a studio's job after the film is completed. Promotions, sending out the actors for interviews, tie-ins with product placement (do you think fast food places have movie toys because they like the film?), to get people to go to it.

So if you have a film that is cerebral, how can you tell people to see it without a tie-in? A movie like Inception, which is a high concept film. And though it had star power and was a visually dynamic, how do you tell someone to go see it?

A better example is 'Momento'. A fantasic movie, yet how do you tell someone what it is about, why you should go see it, vs even a Christopher Nolan Batman comicbook film? Both movies are great stories, great direction, but both are on 2 totally different plains of thought.

So, remaking, retelling, copying movies from before is easier and more profrotable. It fits with the plug & play effort of the studio, it is hands off.
    Last edited by Nobody; 11-13-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Last edited by AndrewTheWookie; 11-17-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    Keep your distance... but don't look like you're trying to keep your distance.

Insider