Page 305 of 418 FirstFirst ... 205255295303304305306307315355405 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,050 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

whelp, roasted the clutch and killed a set of hoosiers this weekend.

clutch kit for the porsche: 850 dollars
    clutch kit for the miata: 106 dollars shipped.

god i fucking love miatas.

lovely four wheel drift ....

dead hoosier wets ....

easy to four wheel drift a car with dead front tires ... get on the power and car just flat slides sideways haha
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 03-19-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Realized how much I really hate it when someone cuts me off when I'm speaking.

Like, I already seem to have confidence issues at work, me getting cut off for someone to ask a question (more often than not, my statement would have answered the question) or finish my sentence drives me so far up the wall..

Like, how am I supposed to learn and get better when nobody will let me finish? I let my frustration about it get the better of me yesterday, I feel awful about my snide remark and immediately booked an apt with my boss & team lead asking for help... but jfc people, just let me talk!

Insider
    Informal meeting or formal presentation setting?

Office interpersonal politics are surprisingly deep and often counterintuitive.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Early in my career, I was a total asshole. I was so worried about position and the prestige that I let it go to my head. Straight out of college I had 130+ employees under me. I think it was having kids that really started my paradigm shift. I realized that I don't have to "put people in their place" because if I empower others, sucess will have a common denominator. I took a lot of emotional intelligence training and have really learned a lot of powerful redirection techniques. Also, basic communication structure programs us to believe that questions need/ deserve an answer and it's not the case. I worked for a Bosnian lady that dealt with sexism constantly and I learned so much from watching how she maintained her composure when people were being total shitheads to her. I guess, the cliffs version is that not every question warrants an answer and many times you can steer the conversation using the questions of others if you're confident in your knowledge.

i find office politics, simply exhausting. have to think about everything you say, have to figure out the most passive aggressive way to to say it ... its annoying.

I of course had the opposite reaction to irony, being the lowest guy on the totempole in a super specialized field, in a very small group, i listed to my machinists and knew they knew more than me. i quickly recognized several of our guys had forgotten more about precision than i knew. when we hired a new engineer to do the same job as me, and i gave him the same advice "Listen to jerry, jerry knows more than you. i know this because jerry knows more than me"

sadly my group growing has made it rougher. it used to be like the 12 of us who knew how it all worked trying to explain it to the company. but now that we are like maybe 25 folks, there are far more interpersonal drama's and it really hurts productivity. every new guy we hire, we might gain in total work output, but work output per person drops. this place was a dream to work at when we had 3 machinists, 3 engineers, a manager, a tech lead, and a few support technicians. now we have double or triple that.

idk, i am certainly in my 30s career-wise. i know how and what i'd change if i was in charge to fix things, but they won't give me that power for another 15 years.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 03-20-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Informal meeting or formal presentation setting?

Office interpersonal politics are surprisingly deep and often counterintuitive.
    Bit of both? Like, definitely happens more often in informal meetings, but still while I'm presenting something to the group.

I agree, though it makes sense that different personalities will clash more in certain ways.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    Early in my career, I was a total asshole. I was so worried about position and the prestige that I let it go to my head. Straight out of college I had 130+ employees under me. I think it was having kids that really started my paradigm shift. I realized that I don't have to "put people in their place" because if I empower others, sucess will have a common denominator. I took a lot of emotional intelligence training and have really learned a lot of powerful redirection techniques. Also, basic communication structure programs us to believe that questions need/ deserve an answer and it's not the case. I worked for a Bosnian lady that dealt with sexism constantly and I learned so much from watching how she maintained her composure when people were being total shitheads to her. I guess, the cliffs version is that not every question warrants an answer and many times you can steer the conversation using the questions of others if you're confident in your knowledge.
    See, I feel the exact opposite. I know I'm young and don't have the experience that my colleagues have, so I kind of end up acting more meek and kind of a pushover, when my team lead has full confidence in my abilities and is constantly encouraging me to speak up and say my piece more... I often just wind up getting cut off by people who think they can explain in fewer words or w/e. Sometimes I appreciate it when I'm having a hard time getting my point across, because I just want the meeting to move on at that point. But I know it's not helping me.

Truthfully, I have been director level in 3 companies and paintball is my retreat. Sometimes setting the world on fire is your goal, sometimes it isn't. Coming into a company or group or even industry without specific experience isn't always a weakness and it's really not even a qualification. If you're competent in abstraction or can parallel your knowledge base with the discussion then your input is just as good as anyone else's. Outside perspective is good to keep ideas from stagnating or groupthink from setting in. There are times when it's better to listen to the advice of those with specialized knowledge, but if you have something meaningful to add you and can get your point across by asking questions then that's ideal. I worked with a guy who was extremely effective at his job as a program manager and he would preface many of his statements with "I know I don't have as much experience as some, but am I understanding this correcly..." or even the more casual "I'm not the smartest guy in the room, but I'm hearing..." and it did a good job disarming him as a threat, as well as stopping intejections because the "experts" felt like he was seeking their answer AFTER he asked. The questions, of course, had the answer in them all along. Yes, it plays on basic psychology but made him appear quite approachable and people were more candid with him in private.

I really don't like direct conflict or even passive agressiveness because in most cases that's an unproductive escallation. We did a multi-day offsite training based around this book: https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Conve.../dp/0071401946 and I actually think it was quite helpful.
    Last edited by ironyusa; 03-20-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    See, I feel the exact opposite. I know I'm young and don't have the experience that my colleagues have, so I kind of end up acting more meek and kind of a pushover, when my team lead has full confidence in my abilities and is constantly encouraging me to speak up and say my piece more... I often just wind up getting cut off by people who think they can explain in fewer words or w/e. Sometimes I appreciate it when I'm having a hard time getting my point across, because I just want the meeting to move on at that point. But I know it's not helping me.
    I think we're about the same age. I've been working at a small company for a little over a year and graduated just a few months prior. I don't think there's an inherent problem with being a "pushover" when it comes to talking about technical stuff. I don't have anything to prove to anyone in my office as long as my direct supervisor recognizes my work, so if someone wants to interrupt and finish what I was saying, I don't have a problem with it as long as the information is presented.

https://www.salon.com/2018/02/10/why...b&kwp_0=724703

interesting article on how the economic realities of the millennial generation is effecting our fundamental mental processes.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    https://www.salon.com/2018/02/10/why...b&kwp_0=724703

interesting article on how the economic realities of the millennial generation is effecting our fundamental mental processes.
    That is some armchair sociology right there. And sociology is pretty armchair already, so that's saying something.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon