Page 153 of 418 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Awesome! Always good to hear stuff like that, especially in this economy.

That being said, how good was tonight's Game of Thrones?!

Economy seems to be picking up - I've always struggled getting interviews let alone jobs, and then in the last week I've had an offer and two interviews both of which I know I'm front runner for. When it rains it pours, or something.
    https://www.instagram.com/vijil/
    I draw guns and spaceships and bunnies

I heard unemployment in Wisconsin is down to something like 3.7%, if you want to believe unemployment numbers. That bodes quite well for anyone looking for a job these days, I'd suspect.

Insider
    I'm fairly sure the apparent increase in employment is illusory

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate...loyment-charts

Heh, yep, forgot entirely about seasonal, which is huge here especially.

Ryan, are stats like that available at the state level? With all the oil layoffs in Texas they say the the unemployment rate is still going down. I know a lot of jobs are coming here, but the stats don't feel right.

Insider
    I did a quick Google and didn't find anything free I could trust. Generally speaking when an industry like oil is in crisis the displaced labor is not very elastic.

With global demand what it is I'm not sure oil suppliers are going to come back in the big way I once expected. I thought wti (uso) would be an easy double from the nadir, but it's stabilized and really still only has downward pressure until the reserves are thinned. The saudi pivot away from petroleum and towards an investing economy is a telling shift.

I am long biotechnology (assuming crispr is monetized in the public sector, the safest broad bet in some time)and long autonomous car consortium, since that's where the most disruptive tech in the next 10 years will be. Being long VR probably isn't a bad idea. Samsung and Facebook are good plays there. I'm a little worried about decaying advertising revenue with Google.

You can still get in aapl at 93, today. Buffett is in for a cool billion at 109 and he will not lose that bet, long term. That is a bet on project titan if I've ever seen one. Smart phone revenue is likely to decay as customers move out of 1 year replacement cycles, so the hope must be on new products. Don't sleep on the balance sheet war chest those guys have, and their research spending last 3 years is higher even than would be suggested by their profits. Taken in totality, they're spooling up something big.

Also, don't invest in paintball gun futures.

WHAT??? But high end paintball guns seem like such a high-return project!

That seems to be more of a "we do what we love with our heart and soul, but we invest with our brains". Then again, I don't have enough funds at this point to actually invest anything. Working on that, though. Thinking my line of work has just about played itself out. Or at least, where I'm at has.

What's your line of work again?

I'm looking for something new, been at it for a year but the geotech stuff isn't really up my ally.

Steve, would you be open to relocating to Texas?