Page 337 of 418 FirstFirst ... 237287327335336337338339347387 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,370 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

I used this y carrier which reduces weight --added back in with my 4mm glass bed: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Y-Axis-Carria...0.Xwanhao.TRS0

As long as you have good idlers, your belt is tensioned correctly (without a sprung tensioner) and your speed/ jerk settings are right I don't see an issue with the "bedslinger" design. I don't love Bowden tube designs and any direct design is going to have a bit of mass. I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish, but I can print almost as well as a raise3d printer, but it takes me a lot more set-up and print time.

It's kind of a fundamental issue - why are we moving around the heaviest part of the printer? Why not keep it stationary? There are other designs (that I mentioned before) that avoid this. It seems the Mendel design is kept for a couple reasons...

1) it's simple to understand (and therefore debug)
    2) relatively low parts count
    3) easy to manufacture/assemble

The other designs have advantages in terms of printing (lower moving mass, for instance) but are weaker in this regard. As an example, it takes a couple hours to build and calibrate a Prusa. Building & calibrating a D-bot takes much longer due to an increased part count (at least more Tslot rails & joints..) and a crappy Z setup that takes a long time to get right. Not to mention that CoreXY systems require a relatively balanced tension on the A & B motors.

I also like that the other main designs (Deltas, CoreXY & Quadrap) are more self-contained - the box you see is really the only space you need on a shelf. Mendels require more space due to the bed moving back and forth that might not be immediately apparent. Many CoreXY & Quadrap builds can inherently be enclosed with some plastic sheets and packing tape - not so easy with a Mendel.

The weight of the moving bed really limits your printing speed; you need to run lower Jerk and Accel settings than are possible on other, more balance designs. Basically, I've spent WAY too much time thinking about this instead of just buying a Prusa and being happy with the prints.

If I build my own printer though, it'll probably run klipper firmware. It kind of just makes sense.

Of course, it'd be nice to use BLDC with position feedback systems, I just don't think it'd be straightforward enough to get a noise-free(ish?) feedback at these kinds of speeds.

I understand the concept, but looking at the final print quality there is no way you could ever tell a difference. As an operator, sure it takes more time to print with the lesser quality printers since you'll want to move slower but the moving bed is a very small part of the problem. You'd see more artifacts from the idlers, belt tensioners, linear bearings/ rods and probably even from the moisture condition of the filament itself. On my printer, the z-axis has always presented more issue than y and recently I started having issues with x due to the idler. I mean, makers muse and several other well regarded printers still run i3s because the cost is low and the print quality is great. With the slower speed, I could buy like 5-6 i3s for 1 really good FFF/ FDM. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the wanhao i3 is perfect but the loss in print speed is not a huge deal for me given the cost.

I mean, all the mods including the glass bed and y-carriage probably cost me $80 or so. That puts me just over $425 total since I caught the printer on sale.

Look at these and you'll see what I consider the major flaws in the off-the-shelf wanhao:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2391089

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1532408

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2528504

+ the y-carriage, the spring belt tensioners, 3-point tramming (4-points HAS to warp the bed... a flat bed can't be controlled with 4 points) & a glass bed. The bed has the hole for the 3-point setup, but the junky stock y carrier doesn't have the hole. I had to countersink the screws to fit under the glass plate, but those are minor. I use ideamaker as my slicer since it's free and allows manual supports. A lot of the stuff here: https://3dprinterwiki.info/wiki/wanhao-duplicator-i3/ was fixed with the 2.1. It comes with 3-point bed carriers, LM8LUUs on the x-axis and LMH8LUUs on the z-axis. It has LM8UUs on the y-axis, but I don't see a need for anything else there.
    Last edited by ironyusa; 08-01-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Hang on, just so we're all clear:

You're debating that it's hard to beat the printer for the price, right?

so i bought a tundra.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    Hang on, just so we're all clear:

You're debating that it's hard to beat the printer for the price, right?
    Short of a DIY kit, yeah. I also think the ROI for any business use is tough to justify for one of the amazing printers. We have a few raise3d N2s and I can print just as well with a machine 1/7th the price albeit at a slower rate. For extreme accuracy we use the form2 at my house.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    Short of a DIY kit, yeah. I also think the ROI for any business use is tough to justify for one of the amazing printers. We have a few raise3d N2s and I can print just as well with a machine 1/7th the price albeit at a slower rate. For extreme accuracy we use the form2 at my house.
    You have a Form2? Damn.

Also, have you seen the Ender3? People are raving about that thing.

I guess I was just arguing that i3 machines don't really suit my desires for wanting better technologies, despite them being a tried and true method of printing.

One downside is that tool changing on an i3 machine would be a PITA.

Gordon, why a Tundra?

7,200 lbs towing, reliable. they drive really nice too, esp with higher miles compared to american trucks.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

What year?
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon