Page 210 of 418 FirstFirst ... 110160200208209210211212220260310 ... LastLast
Results 2,091 to 2,100 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    Well, that would be great.

I mean, really. First, the cars would have to get better.

You would have to pace your car to the total event. So, go slowish most of the time. Strategize.

We will end up with beefier cars, the races will have nice engine detonations, and the customers would also get a great metric for how good their car really was, or at least we can figure out what not to buy.

Fun for all and some better cars. Win-win. Who do you think would do well in that environment? Race based on price, so we get some better low end rides also - a BRZ with a turbo finally for example.

On the flip side I am game for F0 type racing. Give them a max budget. After that, everything is totally unlimited. Built the craziest beast possible. Innovate. Refine. No cheating possible besides the budget, because no other limits.
    this just means you will have to overpay for your street car for a bunch of shit you will never need or use. or they won't even be built at all, because if you think a BRZ is expensive now, add everything you need to track the car, and it will go up 5+ grand in price easily, and actually be slower than the current model, because it will be heavier and not produce more power.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 06-14-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    this just means you will have to overpay for your street car for a bunch of shit you will never need or use. or they won't even be built at all, because if you think a BRZ is expensive now, add everything you need to track the car, and it will go up 5+ grand in price easily, and actually be slower than the current model, because it will be heavier and not produce more power.
    I'm assuming that extra weight and money is for safety devices?

Considering that roughly 75 percent of crashes over 55 mph in rural areas of our country end in fatalities and about 30 percent of urban area crashes in that speed range also end in deaths it is probably a really good thing that companies put better safety features in cars. Also considering that rollovers account for like 35 percent of all car accident fatalities it also seems like a better idea to make cars safer even if it costs a bit more.

Insider
    That takes all the fun out of it!

Of course, trying for the Nuremberg Ring ruins many cars for everyday use, so I get that.

And it isn't like the Camary is going to be doing this race. Take the Dodge Demon though, or Z06 Vette, or the M BMW's, or the flavor of the weak Mustang - with price brackets the added cost will put it in a different bracket. Special track editions you can run those pretty hard. They do actually run them on tracks ya'know. In testing and in real like. A ZL Camaro may not be a Ford GT, but you can still do 50 laps of Laguna Seca with it. Brake might fade a bit, but the emgine can still do it without exploding. C&D and such do that much pounding on a car fairly regular, same with product testing. It isn't the 80's anymore.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by Florypb505 View Post
    I'm assuming that extra weight and money is for safety devices?
    They already put more safety features on a Corolla than any track car has. Probably more like structural reinforcement, bigger intercooler, engine modifications, beefier suspension, etc.

It's just more shit to pay for that you won't be able to use without breaking the law.

And it isn't like the Camry is going to be doing this race. Take the Dodge Demon though, or Z06 Vette, or the M BMW's, or the flavor of the weak Mustang - with price brackets the added cost will put it in a different bracket. Special track editions you can run those pretty hard. They do actually run them on tracks ya'know. In testing and in real like. A ZL Camaro may not be a Ford GT, but you can still do 50 laps of Laguna Seca with it. Brake might fade a bit, but the engine can still do it without exploding. C&D and such do that much pounding on a car fairly regular, same with product testing. It isn't the 80's anymore.
    Then buy a track car.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Insider
    But that takes the fun out of racing the production cars!

Instead of huge, crazy million dollar budgets to sup up a car that is in production, just to add weight and slow it back down. Actually, you know, Race THE car.

If it is Production Car Racing - why not race the production car?

Or name it something else then.

Then buy a track car.
    If it is Track Day Car racing, race a Track Day Car.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

because production cars do not make good race cars.

because they will blow up.

a 600 hp 911 GTE race car, has about 10x the cooling capacity of a 1600hp 911 turbo drag car.

Huge radiator, 3 oil coolers, a trans cooler, a diff cooler, a fuel cooler (no im not kidding), brake ducting etc etc.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

C&D and such do that much pounding on a car fairly regular, same with product testing. It isn't the 80's anymore.
    C&D doesn't pound on cars even close to what an actual race car sees.

Insider
    I am not talking about racing race cars.

If you have a 'production' class, race production cars. See the difference in the wording?

I don't care how they compare to a race car, I care about how they compete with other production cars.

See where I am coming from there? Quite a difference from your point.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

I am not talking about racing race cars.

If you have a 'production' class, race production cars. See the difference in the wording?

I don't care how they compare to a race car, I care about how they compete with other production cars.

See where I am coming from there? Quite a difference from your point.
    production based racing =/= production car racing.

the main problem with racing production cars is that it would be terrible racing. thats why we convert them to racing cars, before racing them.

Insider
    production based racing =/= production car racing.
    I looked into that, and I see your point. And I stated I wanted to see production car racing.

Which does exist here and there, with out a lot of mods. There are some spec ones also.

Must be horrible though, all those cars exploding all the time. Oh wait...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM5XvpeKzu8

"Other than some heavy duty shocks and a roll cage, it's basically off the showroom floor."

1999 Rally Cup Production Class Champion. A friggen New Beetle.

Terrible racing, eh? Exploded, eh? Can't be raced, eh?

because they will blow up.
    As somebody said, people race lawnmowers. People will race production cars. And look, they don't all explode. Funny that.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com