Page 234 of 418 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244284334 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Freestyle debuted in 2004, so development was maybe 2 years prior?

The valve in the A80 is essentially that, no? re: blowforward. I actually consider the Mike Wood guns poppets because the firing valve operates off a face seal on all of them. If you added a compliant seal on an axe poppet, they'd be similar to open bolt novas. Not trying to start a debate, but it's interesting to see the difference in opinions here.

Steve, I also agree that the "legion shocker" is essentially the same basis as the Mike Wood guns. I've thought that for quite some time. In a way, the etha and tippmann flex valve draw heritage here as well.

i like that valve matched with a spring return blowforward so much, that my first gun design back in maybe 2006-8ish, i talked with ben johnson about the idea.

in function this is identical to an etha, except my design had a slotted valve feature more like a macdev spool, just to make the oring seal safer and guide the center spike.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    The valve in the A80 is essentially that, no? re: blowforward.
    Eh, I don't think I'd call the A80 a blowforward, mostly because it (should be) closed bolt. Maybe it's overly picky, but since the firing action can be separated from the bolt articulation it feels weird to call it a blowforward. To me that nomenclature implies there's some kind of inevitability to the shot once the bolt starts motion. In the A80 the whole system reaches rest, then you have to switch the solenoid back to get it to fire.

http://www.zdspb.com/media/tech/animations/a80-7.gif

Also don't really see it as a permutation on the Nova, the only real similarity is the existence of the valve plunger. The forces are all different and the main valve doesn't even seal on a static component.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 10-03-2017 at 02:45 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Nah, I definitely follow your thought process. In fact, when I try to explain how the A80 shoots it shoots like a closed bolt in a string. The bolt is kind of blown forward off the poppet face seal though. That's why it get's hard to categorize. Aside from Gordon's opinion, the character in the shot is so oddly pleasing to me. It's easy to deduct how the dynamic gives you that feel, but shooting it is unlike anything else. I do have to say it doesn't feel particularily sluggish from a lock-time perspective either. Which is a little curious.

The lock time feel isn't that curious to me given my experience with...other markers.

Is the bolt steel? Any guesses on the bolt spring rate/preload?
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

Bolt is delrin. No clue on spring other than roughly similar to an axe. Feels lighter than an etha.

That is definitely not what's conveyed in Andy's drawing lol

The solenoid isn't at the back like in his drawing, either. The top tube is mostly hollow from just behind the trigger. It's a rat's nest of wires and a board up there.

Oh wow, just watched a disassembly video. That's a lot of delrin.