Page 246 of 418 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248256296346 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Even though they're indexed?

That's crazy. Now I'm a little scared of that spring
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

in other news, penske knows how to run a fucking race team:

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/ca...ts-car-return/
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    The 1st part is what I was thinking. Second part... well, I assume it isn't done well at all.

From my experience, I found it interesting in that I really couldn't tell the difference between loading the first and the last round of a magazine, which was a good thing given that I have to load the rounds essentially 1-3 at a time unlike the less lethal rounds which can be more quickly loaded. Not that my fingers are precision instruments or such.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Yeah I remember ... someone with one that was having trouble getting them back together.

I suppose that's for the best since the pressure is on the plastic indexer anyway, not the rounds.
    I'm curious if you are relating a story about myself or, if you happened to have seen someone else's incident. Mine was admittedly hilarious, having loosened the central hub and not knowing what was inside it- the spring completely unwound helically, before rebounding into a tangled mass. The hub itself flew across the room and put a dent into my drywall about 9ft away. Getting it back together was a serious PITA but, I had to because I had a limited number of mags at that time (I think three).

Interestingly enough, some time later, I sent someone a mag as a model to have pouches made and we decided to cancel the order due to his workload. I found that when I got the magazine back, it didn't have a spring in it. Now I can't say for sure that it had one before I sent it (as I hadn't tried actually using them) but, I have long suspected the individual may have opened it up out of curiosity. I'm not naming names because I don't know for sure this is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    They do actually crush the rounds. Hence why some people have taken them apart to reduce the prewind.
    Really? I never had them crush my rounds to include the worst case times (accidentally skipping a spot, and not catching it and then loosing a grip on the spool while trying to re-wind to fill the gap). Most of the interest I've seen in reducing the spring tension was in relation to using regular paintballs.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Even though they're indexed?

That's crazy. Now I'm a little scared of that spring
    Yes, be very, very afraid of that spring... I suppose a jig could be built to make disassembly and reassembly easier but, personally I've no interest in lightening mine.

got the car back on track:

just mopping up the floor with some 'merican muscle cars:

the mustang driver after i rode his ass "what do you have under the hood of that thing?"

"basically stock"
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I wonder how one of the EcoBoost Mustangs would fare out there. Much less engine weight than the GT, but still 300+ hp.

Insider
    Worse if the driver was still terrible?

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Worse if the driver was still terrible?
    that problem is even worse in the wet. i've driven a lot in the wet, and already have a a pretty "put car in crazy position and recover it at the end of each corner" driving style, so wet weather driver for me is pretty natural. it doesn't scare me to have to huck the thing around and catch it in every corner. for lots of folks thats pretty scary and they shy away from it, and as a result they don't drive very well in the wet.

i love that first picture .... just a little baby drift going on. thats how you kill in the wet.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 10-10-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Insider
    Does that style mean you're trail braking more than most, Gordon? Hard to tell in the first pic if you're got any dive going on. E30s get bent out of shape really fast if you aren't neutral or back on the throttle through the apex but I don't know enough about spec miata suspensions to know what's ideal there. I don't know how hard you drove your brother's SVT before it went, but they actually have a fun little bit of lift-off oversteer too. I relo'd the battery to the trunk to balance it out a shade because it gets really pronounced with a stripped rear.

Not that I'm making this comparison because your ego don't need it, but Senna driving in the rain (in the documentary) actually gave me goosebumps. Limited traction definitely makes for a whole different skill set. The twitchiness at the limit is unreal.

Related: I actually had never done go-kart racing in adult lift until my bachelor party a couple years back and it took me a while to figure out the relationship between losing traction and keeping revs high through a corner. Thankfully I had years of Mario Kart 64 to fall back on re: powerslides.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

mmmmmmm ... lots to unpack there. let start here, trailbraking.

trail braking is a big term that everyone thinks they know what it means, but really don't understand what it is. to truly do it well, it is a amazing to feel, to do it poorly, it fucks everything up. its not just a technique or skill, its a whole methodology for building and driving a car fast.

standard car setup:

you set the car up to be pretty neutral, and when you enter a corner, you brake, lift off the petal at the same time as your turning in. then once the nose is in, you add power as the rear wheels load up, and power out. pretty typical thing.

trailbrake setup:

you set up the car to under-steer. pretty significantly. then when you enter a corner, you brake, and then lift off the brake much slower, and replace that with your turn in steering. because the nose of the car is loaded, you get a lot more turn in power, and the nose goes into the apex. then, you go for the power, and since the car is rear traction biased (steady state understeer), you have more grip with the drive wheels, and thus can add more power sooner. you can tell this is happening when you get an understeer drift. the wheel feels vague, and thats is because you are sliding the front wheels in basically a 4 wheel drift. so, you gain compared to the standard more neutral setup both in that your braking slightly later, but your also on the power sooner, and with more through out the corner.

its an amazing feeling when you get it right. and its a rhythm of the car thing. because the dampers, the springs and your inputs all have to be synchronized. stiffer springs will make the nose of the car unload faster etc etc.

to get it right, esp on a aftermarket stiff suspension in a light car ... its tough.

basically what you are trying to do is get turn-in grip for free, and then you apply that extra grip to the rear wheels to use them to put more power down sooner.

when it goes wrong through, you have big problems. if you hold the brake too long, you will push. and if you let off too fast you will push. there is also a theory problem, as in this is on an ideal corner. and even in autocross that itsn't found that commonly, and in road racing, with folks flying around all around you, and so much happening, and the unplanned responses you have to have, its tricky to pull off.

now, to put a bound on my skill, in autocross or time trial with a stock suspension car, i can maybe pull this off ~50% of the time. one of the reasons i love the ND is the rhythm of that car, stock, is just fantastic and natural for this kind of thing.

in a road racing situation 0% of the time (too much other shit to manage). and on stiffer aftermarket suspensions like my MR2 or hot lapping my spec car, maybe 25-30% of the time.

so it becomes a balancing act, if there is a good chance or even fair money or worse chance that you are not going to be able to trail brake it properly, you will want to sit it up more neutral. but then when you trail brake it properly, you will likely have too much turn-in and not that much more rear grip.

so, in practice what you do is you make it up as you go along. anyway ... thats trail braking theory. lots of folks think they know what a trail brake means, but thats what its actually for. its also why braking is actually, the most difficult and hardest part about driving a car fast.

as for being fast in the wet? and my toss it in and see what happens on the way out style .... i think that just has more to do with willingness to go past the limit, and skill at pulling it back in. and i think this comes from ice racing. because you are always past the limit when you are on ice, no matter what. and ice is slow, so you actually can feel and understand and correct for everything that is happening, and you can learn how to recover and what the right things to do are in a safe way, so that way when you are on pavement and things are happening way faster, you still understand what is happening and what to do about it to recover it. there is a point at which newton is in the driver seat, not you, but that point is farther away than almost anyone who sticks to dry pavement performance driving thinks it is.

rain is, somewhere in between dry pavement and ice. so im pretty used to what will happen and thus have confidence in my ability to recover the car, and thus can throw it in faster than lots of folks. i dont think its a specific technique, so much as a skill set learned.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 10-10-2017 at 02:13 PM.