Page 175 of 418 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225275 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    This guy claims Apple manufactures to 10 micron tolerances. http://atomicdelights.com/blog/why-y...ont-be-ceramic

Smells like bullshit to me, but anyone else heard about this?
    FAR smaller in the screen fabrication.

i'd disagree that apple manufacturers anything though, they really, actually, don't. samsung and LG do.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

The machines the author claims Apple uses (FANUC RoboDrill) has 6 micro accuracy listed in the manual, so maybe it's possible, but measuring the iPhone 4 I have in front of me, there's a 2 thou difference in the overall width from top to bottom. And that's measuring a single piece of aluminum that wraps around.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    FAR smaller in the screen fabrication.
    They're talking about the aluminum enclosures, which apple does do themselves.

Why bother commenting if you can't even skim a few paragraphs?

They're talking about the aluminum enclosures, which apple does do themselves.

Why bother commenting if you can't even skim a few paragraphs?
    the article is about overall fitment of everything.

i was pointing out that different fits have different spec tolerances. it is categorically stupid to say anyone "manufactures to X microns" such a statement is nonsense unless taken at the value of a volumetric measurement. in the screen there are often times sub micron tolerances. in the board component placements there are likely handful micron level tolerances, and in the alignment and assembly there are likely hundreds of micron tolerances.

even within the case, what is 10 microns?
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

It's pretty clear they're not talking about anything having to do with the screen.

ANYWAY, speaking of small shit, did anyone else see the 1nm transistor?

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2016/10/06...tor-1-nm-gate/
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

It's pretty clear they're not talking about anything having to do with the screen.

Interesting, as I believe Samsung is playing with 10nm FinFet transistors now. It currently says that 20nm is the high end, when I know that Nvidia and others are at 16nm or smaller - wonder how they missed that.

high-end 20-nanometer-gate transistors
    I think they mean "high-end" as in high performance/quality, not high end of a range.

Isn't the 10nm samsung stuff for SOIC? I know Intel has been down to 7nm for their processors

Insider

I wonder if a single cumulene chain would let things go even smaller in MoS2 - a nanotube is JUST SHORT of computronium, but atomically precise single layers interacting with single chain carbon picowires would be awesome. I know I've seen "single atom" transistors before but this approach actually seems practical.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Happy Birthday, Simon!