Page 303 of 418 FirstFirst ... 203253293301302303304305313353403 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,030 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    people with real money do strange things .... lol

i drove an exocet with a turbo 1.8BP, 240whp .... that was plenty of power haha. needed a lot more than a torsen in back.
    Man, I really need to learn more about LSDs.

I think I understand Torsen/TBD, and that it's good for FWD usage, but I don't really get the other kinds and where they're useful. I can get a Quaife TBD for my FiST... but it doesn't maintain the Ford warranty so I think if I want one, I should just buy it and wait for the warranty to expire before putting it in.

I'm actually really glad that Stephen Hawking (no s) is getting the press he is. It kinda makes me feel good about the world.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    Man, I really need to learn more about LSDs.

I think I understand Torsen/TBD, and that it's good for FWD usage, but I don't really get the other kinds and where they're useful. I can get a Quaife TBD for my FiST... but it doesn't maintain the Ford warranty so I think if I want one, I should just buy it and wait for the warranty to expire before putting it in.

I'm actually really glad that Stephen Hawking (no s) is getting the press he is. It kinda makes me feel good about the world.
    the trick to diffs is "if it works, then run it"

the problem is that different cars, doing different things, setup differently, makes diffs complex. torsens work in a lot of applications super well. but in that one, it just didn't. i personally dislike torsens because they lock and unlock instantly, which to me defeats half the point of having a diff at all ... predictability. that being said the torsen in the back of my Mr2 works great, no issues.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

i am not a muscle car guy, but i would unironically rock the fuck out of a boss 302.
    Solid take. Have you had a go with a GT350 yet? The Voodoo is magical.
    OlllllllO

Quote Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
    Solid take. Have you had a go with a GT350 yet? The Voodoo is magical.
    no, but i would do AWFUL things in this world to have that engine in my life. 8250rpm redline in a v8? YES. YES YES YES YES. YES.

god, every day the engineer in my says the LS and new LT1 engines are better. and they are, esp when you start looking at packaging. the LS and LT1 are simply brilliant.

but every single time, the ford v8 sounds just so much better. i'd be on my way to buy a 1LE, and every time end up with a mustang. because jesus, the rasp. an engine shouldn't rumble, or be deep and loping. anyone who thinks that is a fucking idiot. an engine should sound like a drill bit piercing your skull, driving you mad. it should both be uncomfortable, and the best sensation to run it to red line. and the ford v8s always have been better than the chevy for that.

i wish ford made a real sports car, and put that engine in it.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

the trick to diffs is "if it works, then run it"

the problem is that different cars, doing different things, setup differently, makes diffs complex. torsens work in a lot of applications super well. but in that one, it just didn't. i personally dislike torsens because they lock and unlock instantly, which to me defeats half the point of having a diff at all ... predictability. that being said the torsen in the back of my Mr2 works great, no issues.
    Isn't that the whole point of a Torsen though? Like, it's supposed to be instant and smooth?

Planning on going to the ST Octane Academy, since I can. God damn that looks like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    Isn't that the whole point of a Torsen though? Like, it's supposed to be instant and smooth?

Planning on going to the ST Octane Academy, since I can. God damn that looks like fun.
    instant is the opposite of smooth.

Don't be a jerk, Gordon.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Don't be a jerk, Gordon.
    well played

no, but i would do AWFUL things in this world to have that engine in my life. 8250rpm redline in a v8? YES. YES YES YES YES. YES.

god, every day the engineer in my says the LS and new LT1 engines are better. and they are, esp when you start looking at packaging. the LS and LT1 are simply brilliant.

but every single time, the ford v8 sounds just so much better. i'd be on my way to buy a 1LE, and every time end up with a mustang. because jesus, the rasp. an engine shouldn't rumble, or be deep and loping. anyone who thinks that is a fucking idiot. an engine should sound like a drill bit piercing your skull, driving you mad. it should both be uncomfortable, and the best sensation to run it to red line. and the ford v8s always have been better than the chevy for that.

i wish ford made a real sports car, and put that engine in it.
    Our feelings on the subject align. The C7 is a brilliant car, is lighter and just looks incredible. But the GT350 just straight up tickles my balls. I'm doing everything I can to make one happen in my life.

The ND Miata is also pulling at my heartstrings, albeit for very different reasons. And I could go get one tomorrow, while the Shelby would hurt my pocket considerably more.
    OlllllllO

that is the magic of the miata ... they are cheap. people underestimate that as a good quality, but really, there is no better driving car made for even double its price. cheap to buy, cheap to upgrade, cheap consumables, cheap maintenance ... cheap. I did a talk at a nerd-out event the other day about amateur Motorsports, and after presenting someone asked me why miatas? like everything you presented about miatas were everywhere ... i had that for an answer. because you need 10,000 hours doing something to be an expert, do you want to get those hours spending 1,500 dollars a set a tires, and 400 bucks a set of brake pads, or do you want to get that spending 500 dollars a set of tires, and 130 bucks a set of brake pads? who do you think will have more practice, and thus be better? the guy who can afford to put the car on the track more often, thats who. engines are 600 bucks a pop, how many of those do you want to go through on your corvette, at 3 or 4 grand a pop?

cheap is a quality all too often overlooked. if you are serious about becoming good at something, cheap is the best way to get better faster.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 03-16-2018 at 10:06 AM.