Page 182 of 418 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232282 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Insider
    Still really difficult to get an idea of scale for that lava pit. How high are those jets/splashes of lava being shot into the air?
    Dear boy, I work at Planet Eclipse, don't you know..

I don't know, they don't really give a sense of scale. Poking around a bit it looks like that lava lake is usually around a few hundred meters in diameter?
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

anyone have any experience with Formbot printers specifically the T Rex 2. Need a larger format 3d printer (400x400x400mm Min) to start work on some new paintball ideas and hopefully get a little cash flow going with the wife going back to med school...

and then someone said what i've been trying to say for 4 years http://featuredgarage.com/respect-all-builds/
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Let me explain why this is a problem. If you associate yourself with others who don’t push you to grow, then you may very well never progress and as this happens between peers, groups, and the general automotive community then the car scene never develops as ignorance begets ignorance.
    Welcome to modern culture
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

Insider
    I hate care meets. For that exact reason. There are a lot of "supercar" clubs in my area. Hate them. A load of middle-age blokes standing around talking 0-60 times then pootle off home at 35mph to polish their bonnets. Yawn.
    Dear boy, I work at Planet Eclipse, don't you know..

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
    I hate care meets. For that exact reason. There are a lot of "supercar" clubs in my area. Hate them. A load of middle-age blokes standing around talking 0-60 times then pootle off home at 35mph to polish their bonnets. Yawn.
    there are a lot of people in the world that want to OWN things. and the payoff for owning things, is that other people think you are awesome or cool or whatever. be this the next part, the next gun, the next, better car.

and then there are people who want to DO things.

paintball has the same thing, lots of guys sit around and never play paintball, and just collect and talk and become internet personas. same thing. the hierarchy of whos who in some small microcasim of some small chunk of the population. and people care very deeply about this. car world is the exact same, and the more i get into shooting, the more the shooting world is exactly the same. guy next to me with his AR shooting double the pattern size i am at half the range, blowing 5x the cost in ammo .... well duh, you are bad at this. but on the internet .... man, that gun looked cool, that guy with his little .22 .... yeah never listen to him ... he just shoots a 22.

the internet has made it so that skill, or knowledge, or other things difficult to communicate via text, not matter. because its easier to demonstrate "value" on the internet by longevity, presence, owning things, and unique fashion. and stats ... oh stats racing/shooting/playing. skill and knowledge are far better demonstrated in person, or at least in video. and because its far tougher to expose on the internet, its just not bothered with.

i know several automotive journalists. they can't drive for shit and i'd never trust a single word they wrote. truth about cars did a great article on this. RCR did a great video of the stupidity it is to be an "automotive journalist" at a car show. never, EVER trust an automotive journalist to tell you one bit of information about a car. they don't know shit about fuck.

i know im going to get shit left and right, i mean i already do. im a "car guy" who doesn't own a car with more than 300whp. someone once told me "life doesn't start until 500rwhp" the race car im planning on buying? ~135 rwhp, and slower than every other car i own. doesn't matter.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i know im going to get shit left and right
    Step off the persecution complex, you're not wrong. "Internet points" are the literal currency of Reddit, and while you're at it Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest etc. as well. They might be called likes or shares or retweets or whatever, but it's all just internet points.

There's a reason I give old guys with beat to shit stock mags a wide berth at the field... they either haven't played in decades, or they annihilate me :P

ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post
    propeller fabrication is one of the reasons why machining technology of a certain accuracy is a nationalized technology. that, and nuclear weapons.

in the 1980s, the Japanese sold the USSR more accurate milling machines than they had developed internally, and its a leading reason why soviet submarines of the 1980s approached US subs in terms of how quiet they were. since then machining accuracies and techniques to achieve them have been nationalized. illegal to teach a non-citizens, and non-US persons.

makes it kinda strange, we have trade secrets, we can't tell anyone, except 3M employees. and then we have nationalized secrets, we can tell other US persons, but not OUS persons even if they work for 3M.

EDIT: i actually think alloy development might be nationalized too. grain boundaries fucking up your surface finish and all ...
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 12-04-2016 at 02:18 PM.