Page 401 of 418 FirstFirst ... 301351391399400401402403411 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,010 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

its so interesting .... i find myself in a similar situation as a decade ago with punkworks.

for context. i am me. you guys know how i am. anyway, this racing series starts a new wheel to wheel division, and they post there rulebook. and all these new series keep popping up, with "simplified rulebook" as some kind of benefit. and maybe that is good and all, but car racing is a complex thing. its expensive. its dangerous. none of us in the SCCA are happy the rulebook is so thick. we didnt write those rules cause its more fun with more rules. all those rules are written cause it kinda matters. the rules are complex cause cars are complex machines. and racing them is a complex endeavor. anyway, there "open" rulebook you could drift a school bus through, and me being me, i (and others) point this out to them. they aren't happy about this. they want it to be the good old boys out there, racing what you brung having a fun time. ironically, this is exactly what local club racing is, but more on that later.

all that said, i decide to go to one of there events in the spring. and all in all, had a fun time. the racing wasn't that great, lotta talent and car mismatch, that kind of thing. anyway .... on sunday the race director (who was one of the ones who hated our rule argument the most), approaches me, and tells me there were reports of my car blocking. i say, i have no idea anything about that, but if he wants to watch my video, ive been running it the whole time. he says no. whatever. i run sunday, clean, and leave. its all good.

so, cut to a couple of days ago. here the same guy makes a claim that 1. they knew all along there rulebook was too open, literally "because its like some smart guys started this" and 2. gingerman (event i went to) was contact free.

so me, being me, post up, hey, gingerman wasn't contact free, and i find it a little re-writting the past for you guys to claim you knew your rulebook was flawed.

so he attacks me. accuses me of cheating. blocking. the works. just pure personal attack.

so i ask him for his evidence, he posts none.

i upload every minute of race video i ever had in the gridlife series ... and tell him to tell me where the blocking is. i saw this personal attack coming a mile away, and had driven MEGA clean all weekend.

he straight up says he will not watch my video or tell me where the blocking was.

and from there it gets nuclear. every level of personal attack, every kind of bullshit. i appeal to the guys boss, but even he can't control him.

so some of my friends are like, dude, shut up. your burning bridges and pissing people off. what if you want to race in this series again in 5 years? etc etc

and i felt conflicted about that one.

anyway ....

i can't help but compare this to my time in paintball.

we had this kind of thing happen every few months running punkworks. companies threatening legal action, company owners melting down into unprofessional wrecks on the phone with us, or online. dan colbly, man, that guy. jack rice. rluna and auctionjunkie! bigevil. oh man who was that mod on MCB? drum. yeah drum, what a meltdown. what a bunch of idiots. just some classic fucking meltdowns of insanity. hell, the whole things started with bill gardner thinking he could intimidate me by personally inviting me to living legends 1. 21 year old me wasn't an idiot though, billy was full of shit and i knew it. he owned one of the biggest paintball companies ever, and it was peaking right around then, and i didnt care. as some on these forums have witnessed, i told billy to his face he was wrong repeatedly.

but you know, all we did was stick to the facts. heres what we did. here is what happened. thats what we are gonna tell the court if you sue us. no amount of bullshit changes the physics here. if we can show it doesn't work in my parents backyard, then what is getting legal shit involved gonna do? were just gonna do it again.

and we got the same advice "your burning bridges" "pissing off sponsors" and "what if you want to use/buy/work with this company in the future" but you know, it was the same bullshit then as it is now.

the fallacy of that logic is this one .... people who do not deal in reality are not worth having on your good side.

people who deal in ego, innuendo, snake oil, reputation, and in some cases are just too dumb to understand what they don't know (jack rice) ... they arn't people worth having on your good side.

and we built a reputation in paintball of always shooting straight. like us, hate us, like the results of the tests or not, we put it out there. it was there. for everyone to see. we didn't coddle to politics. we didn't try to appease people. access to the industry never impressed us. "star power" was never something intimidated us.

why?

cause on my parents deck, in front of the camera, thats what happened.

and there just isn't a way around that.

and even if we do seemingly live in a post facts world, that just really means there are even less people worth having on your good side. cuase what happened on that race track, is reality. what happened in my parents back yard is reality. and the people worth having on your side know that. and anyone who doesnt care, isnt worth having on your side.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 10-10-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    its so interesting .... i find myself in a similar situation as a decade ago with punkworks.

for context. i am me. you guys know how i am. anyway, this racing series starts a new wheel to wheel division, and they post there rulebook. and all these new series keep popping up, with "simplified rulebook" as some kind of benefit. and maybe that is good and all, but car racing is a complex thing. its expensive. its dangerous. none of us in the SCCA are happy the rulebook is so thick. we didnt write those rules cause its more fun with more rules. all those rules are written cause it kinda matters. the rules are complex cause cars are complex machines. and racing them is a complex endeavor. anyway, there "open" rulebook you could drift a school bus through, and me being me, i (and others) point this out to them. they aren't happy about this. they want it to be the good old boys out there, racing what you brung having a fun time. ironically, this is exactly what local club racing is, but more on that later.

all that said, i decide to go to one of there events in the spring. and all in all, had a fun time. the racing wasn't that great, lotta talent and car mismatch, that kind of thing. anyway .... on sunday the race director (who was one of the ones who hated our rule argument the most), approaches me, and tells me there were reports of my car blocking. i say, i have no idea anything about that, but if he wants to watch my video, ive been running it the whole time. he says no. whatever. i run sunday, clean, and leave. its all good.

so, cut to a couple of days ago. here the same guy makes a claim that 1. they knew all along there rulebook was too open, literally "because its like some smart guys started this" and 2. gingerman (event i went to) was contact free.

so me, being me, post up, hey, gingerman wasn't contact free, and i find it a little re-writting the past for you guys to claim you knew your rulebook was flawed.

so he attacks me. accuses me of cheating. blocking. the works. just pure personal attack.

so i ask him for his evidence, he posts none.

i upload every minute of race video i ever had in the gridlife series ... and tell him to tell me where the blocking is. i saw this personal attack coming a mile away, and had driven MEGA clean all weekend.

he straight up says he will not watch my video or tell me where the blocking was.

and from there it gets nuclear. every level of personal attack, every kind of bullshit. i appeal to the guys boss, but even he can't control him.

so some of my friends are like, dude, shut up. your burning bridges and pissing people off. what if you want to race in this series again in 5 years? etc etc

and i felt conflicted about that one.

anyway ....

i can't help but compare this to my time in paintball.

we had this kind of thing happen every few months running punkworks. companies threatening legal action, company owners melting down into unprofessional wrecks on the phone with us, or online. dan colbly, man, that guy. jack rice. rluna and auctionjunkie! bigevil. oh man who was that mod on MCB? drum. yeah drum, what a meltdown. what a bunch of idiots. just some classic fucking meltdowns of insanity. hell, the whole things started with bill gardner thinking he could intimidate me by personally inviting me to living legends 1. 21 year old me wasn't an idiot though, billy was full of shit and i knew it. he owned one of the biggest paintball companies ever, and it was peaking right around then, and i didnt care. as some on these forums have witnessed, i told billy to his face he was wrong repeatedly.

but you know, all we did was stick to the facts. heres what we did. here is what happened. thats what we are gonna tell the court if you sue us. no amount of bullshit changes the physics here. if we can show it doesn't work in my parents backyard, then what is getting legal shit involved gonna do? were just gonna do it again.

and we got the same advice "your burning bridges" "pissing off sponsors" and "what if you want to use/buy/work with this company in the future" but you know, it was the same bullshit then as it is now.

the fallacy of that logic is this one .... people who do not deal in reality are not worth having on your good side.

people who deal in ego, innuendo, snake oil, reputation, and in some cases are just too dumb to understand what they don't know (jack rice) ... they arn't people worth having on your good side.

and we built a reputation in paintball of always shooting straight. like us, hate us, like the results of the tests or not, we put it out there. it was there. for everyone to see. we didn't coddle to politics. we didn't try to appease people. access to the industry never impressed us. "star power" was never something intimidated us.

why?

cause on my parents deck, in front of the camera, thats what happened.

and there just isn't a way around that.

and even if we do seemingly live in a post facts world, that just really means there are even less people worth having on your good side. cuase what happened on that race track, is reality. what happened in my parents back yard is reality. and the people worth having on your side know that. and anyone who doesnt care, isnt worth having on your side.
    Guy in power is the guy in power if you want to run in something that was planned by them sadly.

You might be right but that wont help anything, especially if you dont concede to whatever the guy in power is accusing in this situation.

I see 3 options.

1. you conform to whoever runs the event and dont step out of line

2. you race a different event and say screw it.

3. you make your own series and have people follow your rule book.

I guess 4 stop racing but I dont think that one is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Florypb505 View Post
    Guy in power is the guy in power if you want to run in something that was planned by them sadly.

You might be right but that wont help anything, especially if you dont concede to whatever the guy in power is accusing in this situation.

I see 3 options.

1. you conform to whoever runs the event and dont step out of line

2. you race a different event and say screw it.

3. you make your own series and have people follow your rule book.

I guess 4 stop racing but I dont think that one is a good one.
    easy, already made the choice long ago ... SCCA is the way to go always was.

it was a one off event.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Pretty sure we should check hell and make sure it's still warm.

I'm exceptionally fired up over a new vehicle coming out. Sure, the Bronco family is going to be cool. But in 13 days, the whatever-Ford-decides-to-call-it all electric Mustang inspired SUV goes public. We were going to do a watch party at the dealership that Sunday (normally closed, state law, but for a non-selling event we could be there), but we're not much of a hybrid/e-vehicle town. But 300 mile range, rear drive standard, supposed to go from 10% battery to 85% in something like 45 minutes of charging.

So far, the only thing officially released. Idris Elba signed on to help with the launch, which is kind of interesting. You'd think they'd have gone for Chris Hemsworth with the Thor tie-in.
    Last edited by Pump Scout; 11-04-2019 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    Pretty sure we should check hell and make sure it's still warm.

I'm exceptionally fired up over a new vehicle coming out. Sure, the Bronco family is going to be cool. But in 13 days, the whatever-Ford-decides-to-call-it all electric Mustang inspired SUV goes public. We were going to do a watch party at the dealership that Sunday (normally closed, state law, but for a non-selling event we could be there), but we're not much of a hybrid/e-vehicle town. But 300 mile range, rear drive standard, supposed to go from 10% battery to 85% in something like 45 minutes of charging.

So far, the only thing officially released. Idris Elba signed on to help with the launch, which is kind of interesting. You'd think they'd have gone for Chris Hemsworth with the Thor tie-in.
    230-300 miles? I'm pretty psyched about this. I like the early release look, but the price is just a bit out of my range. I think it's a strong competitor to the Model X.

459hp with 600+ft/lb of torque, too. Flippin' fast.

I know a few people were talking about concrete a few years back....

The new "Catch Phrase" in the concrete industry is going to be Carbon Neutral, or Carbon Negative, nothing has really changed in the industry they are just re-branding it after it is becoming known that making portland cement long kiln style produces a ton of co2 emissions, cement will always naturally, absorb, filter, and convert co2 in the air just by its nature, post processing of course.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016...eenhouse-gases

You are going to see a lot more of these "green building" ideas around this when really they are just sourcing a cleaner energy source for their heating needs for the limestone, and we are going to see the larger shift from lime based portland to more, fly-ash (top-ash more specifically), and slag in initial cement dry mix. The concrete industry will be using the claim that those pozzolans do not need to be processed, and all of the CO2 absorbed by them later will be net positive CO2 emissions gain. The problem is all of those products are already processed by another industry as they are industrial waste products that happen to be pozzolans but they are still coming from industries that produce a ton of CO2 to make those products as well................ Slag I think will always be available as it is foundry wastes so that will probably never really go away. Fly ash is from burning garbage, something that we would be better off figuring out how not to generate in the first place, and the trash that is generated needs to have a better system of recycling, I dont consider this a good alternative for the "green building" movement.

If you use a clean renewable electric energy source with an induction heating system or some other electric witchcraft, that will be your obvious emissions gain. Than the material itself, unless making epoxy products is cleaner, as I am not very familiar with that process, using a pozzolan is going to have an initial CO2 generation and they will eventually go back to maybe net neutral as it absorbs the CO2 back in over time, but no research has been completed or none presented that shows a good hard number of how much the concrete absorbs through time. I think in the long run they are going to make some real big claims and I doubt it ever even gets down to net neutral in actuality.

Quote Originally Posted by Florypb505 View Post
    I know a few people were talking about concrete a few years back....

The new "Catch Phrase" in the concrete industry is going to be Carbon Neutral, or Carbon Negative, nothing has really changed in the industry they are just re-branding it after it is becoming known that making portland cement long kiln style produces a ton of co2 emissions, cement will always naturally, absorb, filter, and convert co2 in the air just by its nature, post processing of course.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016...eenhouse-gases

You are going to see a lot more of these "green building" ideas around this when really they are just sourcing a cleaner energy source for their heating needs for the limestone, and we are going to see the larger shift from lime based portland to more, fly-ash (top-ash more specifically), and slag in initial cement dry mix. The concrete industry will be using the claim that those pozzolans do not need to be processed, and all of the CO2 absorbed by them later will be net positive CO2 emissions gain. The problem is all of those products are already processed by another industry as they are industrial waste products that happen to be pozzolans but they are still coming from industries that produce a ton of CO2 to make those products as well................ Slag I think will always be available as it is foundry wastes so that will probably never really go away. Fly ash is from burning garbage, something that we would be better off figuring out how not to generate in the first place, and the trash that is generated needs to have a better system of recycling, I dont consider this a good alternative for the "green building" movement.

If you use a clean renewable electric energy source with an induction heating system or some other electric witchcraft, that will be your obvious emissions gain. Than the material itself, unless making epoxy products is cleaner, as I am not very familiar with that process, using a pozzolan is going to have an initial CO2 generation and they will eventually go back to maybe net neutral as it absorbs the CO2 back in over time, but no research has been completed or none presented that shows a good hard number of how much the concrete absorbs through time. I think in the long run they are going to make some real big claims and I doubt it ever even gets down to net neutral in actuality.
    i mean work is being done, that typically means your not net-zero anything. transportation, smelting, processing energy is always a cost. even if the in the end the carbon you punted out of the chemical make-up comes back into the material is as it sets, thats hardly net zero carbon.

same problem with this recent hype of "plastic from carbon in the air" .... oh so you came up with a really bad way to plastic .... k.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i mean work is being done, that typically means your not net-zero anything. transportation, smelting, processing energy is always a cost. even if the in the end the carbon you punted out of the chemical make-up comes back into the material is as it sets, thats hardly net zero carbon.

same problem with this recent hype of "plastic from carbon in the air" .... oh so you came up with a really bad way to plastic .... k.
    I agree,

It is just that recently it has started being published that the long kiln method for portland cement production makes up 5%-10% of our entire co2 emissions globally, it has basically triggered these companies into over emphasizing the net benefit of the worlds cheapest structural building product, which to me seems disingenuous as per the reasons I stated.