Page 361 of 418 FirstFirst ... 261311351359360361362363371411 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,610 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Slushy icy sleety snow here today, supposed to continue through Monday. My 04 Taurus wagon handled it just fine. Although I can't drive the car through any puddles without making the carpets wet inside the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    Oh, please tell me about driving trucks on ice. I only was born and raised in Alaska, but hey. Gordon knows more than everyone about everything. I don't know why I ever doubt you Gordon.

considering i do ice racing every winter, including with trucks ... yes, im fucking qualified to speak on the subject of handling of trucks on ice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ax95JeGtw

the raptor was fun, mostly because its so steady and smooth ... but it too handles like crap. note how the raptor never really rotates, it just goes into an understeering 4 wheel drift and looses speed. this is due to bad weight distribution, and bad torque distribution of its 4wd system (which is not made for this kind of thing). forget about 2wd in trucks too, total garbage.

land of 10,000 race tracks bro:

Last edited by cockerpunk; 12-02-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Are you talking about pickups? Because pickups handle like shit on ice. Hell, unloaded pickups handle like shit on dry road.
    shhhhh, the gordon bashing session was going so well ....

its not there fault. i never stopped doing this kind of thing, the older i get, the more of it i do. so the worse its going to get, and the farther and farther from there baseline my experience will be. and the stranger and stranger it will seem to them. loose women and fast cars, or fast women and loose cars, i never stopped. i never plan to. they joke about me having lots of strange experiences, and the reality is, i do. because i never plan to be bogged down doing anything different.

"A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention."

-Aldous Huxley
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 12-02-2018 at 09:49 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    Come on, Stig quotes are hardly bashing to a racerboi.

As for Steve trying to gallantly come to Gordon's rescue, you both still totally miss the point.

I was not commenting on which car is better - I am commenting on the driving conditions. " ...in 2 inches of snow, street driving is perfection." I am actually agreeing with you Gordon. You bashed the vehicle choice, but I had said "on roads that are 6" of solid ice is hella fun."

We are talking about the roads, not the car. Reading comprehension kids. Try it.

Sure, a Miata is fun on ice with 2" of snow. But so is hooning a 19' truck sideways, a bit of the Swedish flick and a roaring V8 while you control your curve by how you modulate the throttle more than your steering wheel is perfection also. Every truck is a drift car, every rwd is really, when you are on ice. #icekhana all the time. It is "hella fun."

Or do you not think so? What is not fun about that?

The choice of car isn't the topic, and neither are your straw man arguments. (Those is typical also. Huh.)

Trying to argue that you might know more than me about driving on snow, with your very limited time spend ice racing and comparing it to an Alaskan? It just puts into question your total believe-ability. Not only have you missed the topic but then here comes Steve from California for the breathless support of you. Almost romantic. I drove an average of 120 miles a day in the winter for a while. Every sort of condition from big roads to small steep back ones needing plowing. Every sort of car, every sort of truck. FWD to AWD to RWD, from a Festiva to a uHaul, '77 T/A to most every Subaru (including a Justy). Small trucks to big. Good tires, bad tires. Nasty melt season to -40 blasts through mountain passes to full white out to lake driving. There is not really a class of vehicle, or a quality of tire I have not driven on ice or snow with. A truck is a lot of fun. Plain and simple. Anything is fun really. That was Gordon's point. 2" is driving perfection.

Though, if you knew your sod on it, most Alaskans put sand in their truck over the rear axle and toward the rear to get a better bias.

Last edited by pbjosh; 12-03-2018 at 09:24 AM.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Come on, Stig quotes are hardly bashing to a racerboi.

As for Steve trying to gallantly come to Gordon's rescue, you both still totally miss the point.

I was not commenting on which car is better - I am commenting on the driving conditions. " ...in 2 inches of snow, street driving is perfection." I am actually agreeing with you Gordon. You bashed the vehicle choice, but I had said "on roads that are 6" of solid ice is hella fun."

We are talking about the roads, not the car. Reading comprehension kids. Try it.

Sure, a Miata is fun on ice with 2" of snow. But so is hooning a 19' truck sideways, a bit of the Swedish flick and a roaring V8 while you control your curve by how you modulate the throttle more than your steering wheel is perfection also. Every truck is a drift car, every rwd is really, when you are on ice. #icekhana all the time. It is "hella fun."

Or do you not think so? What is not fun about that?

The choice of car isn't the topic, and neither are your straw man arguments. (Those is typical also. Huh.)

Trying to argue that you might know more than me about driving on snow, with your very limited time spend ice racing and comparing it to an Alaskan? It just puts into question your total believe-ability. Not only have you missed the topic but then here comes Steve from California for the breathless support of you. Almost romantic. I drove an average of 120 miles a day in the winter for a while. Every sort of condition from big roads to small steep back ones needing plowing. Every sort of car, every sort of truck. FWD to AWD to RWD, from a Festiva to a uHaul, '77 T/A to most every Subaru (including a Justy). Small trucks to big. Good tires, bad tires. Nasty melt season to -40 blasts through mountain passes to full white out to lake driving. There is not really a class of vehicle, or a quality of tire I have not driven on ice or snow with. A truck is a lot of fun. Plain and simple. Anything is fun really. That was Gordon's point. 2" is driving perfection.

Though, if you knew your sod on it, most Alaskans put sand in their truck over the rear axle and toward the rear to get a better bias.

to avoid the problem of understand you claim we have, in this post you are claiming that something that literally handles like a bunch of sandbags ... is perfection.

i got you? thats what your saying?

k.

cause i think that answers the question pretty well. trucks handle like garbage, not perfection.

Insider
    [shakes head]

There is no spoon Gordon.

What I am say is driving on icy roads is driving perfection.

Here is my words and your words:

I was not commenting on which car is better - I am commenting on the driving conditions. " ...in 2 inches of snow, street driving is perfection."
    Got it?

[makes 'maybe he will finally get it face']
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Insider
    It's almost like you guys are arguing about a preference
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

[shakes head]

There is no spoon Gordon.

What I am say is driving on icy roads is driving perfection.

Here is my words and your words:

Got it?

[makes 'maybe he will finally get it face']
    lol, dont try and re-edit the conversation to be about something else. the actual argument was started when i said trucks handle like garbage, and you and nobody went on a "gordon doesn't know what hes talking about" jerk fest ... only to learn i do know what im talking about, and now your trying to re-define the argument as to the conditions. when it was never about the conditions, it was because i said trucks handle like trash (and they still do). if the discussion was about the conditions the entire time, you'd never have needed to accuse me of not knowing what im talking about, you'd have just agreed and we'd be talking about something else now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    It's almost like you guys are arguing about a preference
    trucks handle badly: objective fact

Insider
    if you can control and enjoy the vehicle under the conditions it could probably fit some definition of handling well

from a technical position obviously trucks have undesirable handling characteristics.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Gordon, you always, always edit, modify, hashtag; parts of conversation to best show your point through quotes. You always do that, because when you are caught on a point, you scamper backwards and reengage.

And i will say it. Why are you the best driver? Why not move up in leagues, difficulties, levels. Where are the sponsors asking you to quit your day job and help the team win, build better race cars? You are a large fish in a small pond(or as you like to put it, 10k ponds). So what? The real racers don't talk about it, they go and do it. Not troll anything on forums or youtube. If they are ice drivers in the winter, then in the summer, they are dirt tracking, drag racing, ovals, road course, 2 wheels, 4 wheels, whatever.

So you are but an amatuer, maybe more than anyone else, but Penske racing, Ferrari, John force, or Midas mufflers are not coming to sponsor you, your miata or your ego. And they won't .