Page 285 of 418 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295335385 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,850 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

yeah extrusion probably the best. if it was steel gun drilling. aluminum extrusions should hit that tolerance ok.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Good, in that its closer. Good in that Hell's Survivors is a nice fiekd (the last time i was there, 14 years ago). Good that the field was set up big games like this from past experiences (Tippmann Challenge for one).

Bad, in that i have no clue as to how they can fit all the venders on the field. Bad in that its decentralized for flights and people flying in, bad in that the field has less field props/structures compared to CPX (again, since i was there last). Bad in the fact that even moving the game because of factors unrelated to the field and beyond the organizers control, that it will mean people will not show up because it is not CPX.

Hard to say at this point. Least they are trying to get ahead of this before the spring (or even officially winter for that matter). But as soon as venders pull out or not even show, that will be the determining factor to how good or bad the game will be.
    It looks like there won't be a tournament at the event so maybe there won't be as many vendors, or vendors bringing smaller booth setups? On that note though, I wonder how will they handle parking?

It doesn't look too inspiring that they have huge clearings taking up the roughly central third of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    LL outgrew CPX after about 6.
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    Extrusion finished with broaching?
    Yeah, we only need 1.5 meters (x10?) and I was trying to avoid the 750 lbs minimum order buuuuut...

Looks like we're gonna have a lot of scrap
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=5819161

You lurker guys heads up someone is a nutcase. Wow some customers

Insider
    Got it taken care of, thanks guys.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Problem at work:

I need a 1.5 meter long tube in 6063-T5, with a 6mm ID, and very tight tolerances on that ID (using the OD as a datum, the ID can't get out of round by +/- 0.002" over the length). Any suggestions for how to cut it? Seems like an ideal candidate for gun drilling.
    Missed this before but we did some acoustically precise pieces a little shorter than that using EDM (and I suspect precision @ depth is a big limitation for wire EDM). However, that was in 2 pieces and it was really freaking expensive. No contacts for gun drilling.

Wow, wire EDM'ing anything close to 1.5 m sounds freaking expensive.

Is it possible to pull (opposed to the conventional "pushing") a reamer or hone through a tube? I'd imagine it'd be self-centering so you should be able to hit your tolerance relatively easily, but idk if that'll require expensive specialized tooling.

Insider
    I recall it coming to about $35k all told.

The result was functionally equivalent from SLA hardware and a python waveform analysis/transfer function script i wrote myself to a $100k build using a bruel & kjaer DAQ system and EDM'd brass hardware.

In my research I did find that pull boring with a gun drill is a thing. I think the trick for us will be the surface finish, 200nm Rs requirement is brutal. We're going to try and flow polish it but apparently the length is going to mean custom equipment.

Expensive.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    In my research I did find that pull boring with a gun drill is a thing. I think the trick for us will be the surface finish, 200nm Rs requirement is brutal. We're going to try and flow polish it but apparently the length is going to mean custom equipment.

Expensive.
    im pretty familiar with R terms, but Rs is not one of them. you mean Rrms or Rsk??
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 12-22-2017 at 12:25 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.