Page 328 of 418 FirstFirst ... 228278318326327328329330338378 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,280 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Hmmm, the water heater is broke. Hey slumlord, come replace it. My a/c isn't working, come fix that.
    I'm paying $1k/mo for a room in an apartment with three other people, and can't get them to snake the shower.

Boomers/Republicans fucked the housing market here with prop 13 in the 70's and a swath of NIMBY bullshit, making themselves little emperors to the detriment of any young people/families trying to buy. My boss (gen X, 2 kids) can't even afford to buy without a 2 hour commute. It's just stupid.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I'm paying $1k/mo for a room in an apartment with three other people, and can't get them to snake the shower.

Boomers/Republicans fucked the housing market here with prop 13 in the 70's and a swath of NIMBY bullshit, making themselves little emperors to the detriment of any young people/families trying to buy. My boss (gen X, 2 kids) can't even afford to buy without a 2 hour commute. It's just stupid.
    Preaching to the choir here. My area, there is nothing decent to rent. Anything is decent, and its about a normal mortgage payment. I totally agree with the sentiment of its yours, if you want to paint the walls pink, and put in a outside bar because you're bored, you don't need to ask your slumlord if its ok. And even the historically lower costing areas have in the past 30 years gone 3 to 4 times what they used to cost. My own shitbox, in the early 90s should have been about $50k. I bought it at the height of the realestate bubble in 2007 because i had to buy.

No real complaints here.....I own a 6k square foot house on 3 acres and pay a little more for my mortgage than my brother does for his small apartment in LA.

You guys that do that are crazy. Places like LA, DC and NYC are cool to visit but I'd never live there.
    OlllllllO

Hard to find jobs in my field outside of big cities. I'd kill for a gig in Bozeman though, for some reason there are a decent number of relevant companies there.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
    No real complaints here.....I own a 6k square foot house on 3 acres and pay a little more for my mortgage than my brother does for his small apartment in LA.

You guys that do that are crazy. Places like LA, DC and NYC are cool to visit but I'd never live there.
    6k sqft!! That's not a house, that's an f'in castle!!

And yea, I'm not a city boy. Makes my skin crawl having all those people so close to me, lol
    Dear boy, I work at Planet Eclipse, don't you know..

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i was actually just in detroit. surprisingly, i loved it. great city, reminded me of the twin cities about 15 years ago. a lot of cool stuff coming back.
    Curious what sights and activities you took in.

I've spent most of my life in MI, in and around the city and metro area. Went to Architecture school at the University of Detroit Mercy, worked at a couple firms in the city... The new head of planning is an outsider who doesn't think any of the Architecture firms locally are worth anything. Its turning into a bad running joke, even the big historical firms don't have a shot at new big projects. Ford just bought the old rail depot to much fanfare. Guess who they hired? A Scandinavian outfit that's one of the "so hot right now" firms in many architectural publications...

Downtown is definitely hopping, property values are rising rapidly, they're running out of old buildings to renovate (MANY were torn down leading up to the Super Bowl at Ford Field...), and it looks like this wave might be sustainable.
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

Insider
    My house in the burbs is 2300 sf, 3k if you include the unfinished basement. My wife doesn't think its big enough. /rolleyes

The smallest house on my desk right now is 5500sf plus the basement. I think the big one is 8500 + a 5k walkout lower level... it breaks ground in the next week or two.
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    My house in the burbs is 2300 sf, 3k if you include the unfinished basement. My wife doesn't think its big enough. /rolleyes

The smallest house on my desk right now is 5500sf plus the basement. I think the big one is 8500 + a 5k walkout lower level... it breaks ground in the next week or two.
    Amazing! Those are seriously big houses by UK standards. A professional soccer player (not living in London) would probably have a 5-6000sf house over here.

What is the build cost on a 5500sf and 8500sf house over there?
    Dear boy, I work at Planet Eclipse, don't you know..

GREATLY depends on the area. A large house in central Wisconsin is going to be wildly differently priced than the same house on the outskirts of Chicago.

Here's a listing in my home town. Just shy of 6 acres waterfront, 7600sf, $775k. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...75_rect/10_zm/

Here's another outside Chicago. Minimal lot, 7000sf, $2m. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...27_rect/11_zm/

Granted, those are purchase costs, but to get an idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Curious what sights and activities you took in.

I've spent most of my life in MI, in and around the city and metro area. Went to Architecture school at the University of Detroit Mercy, worked at a couple firms in the city... The new head of planning is an outsider who doesn't think any of the Architecture firms locally are worth anything. Its turning into a bad running joke, even the big historical firms don't have a shot at new big projects. Ford just bought the old rail depot to much fanfare. Guess who they hired? A Scandinavian outfit that's one of the "so hot right now" firms in many architectural publications...

Downtown is definitely hopping, property values are rising rapidly, they're running out of old buildings to renovate (MANY were torn down leading up to the Super Bowl at Ford Field...), and it looks like this wave might be sustainable.
    activities centered around wayne state. partner just finished her PHD there, she was in town to defend it. lots of arts, theater, stuff like that. I did get down to belle isle to see what is left of the grand prix circuit. street circuits have such a mystique them. we did head out to the burbs for one play, and drove around the city quite a bit.

detroit is really strange. here in the twin cities, housing values fluctuate on a block per block basis. you go two blocks north, and pick up 100+ grand in home value. in detroit, the patchwork is so much more. you go two houses down and gain 100 grand in home value. there will be a spectacularly nice brick tudor well maintained, and then 3 houses down, a burned out, boarded up one. and two houses down from that, someone gutting that house for renovation.

i love it, millennial may be killing applebees, but us moving back tot he cities is change the fabric of society. pretty awesome to see.

this human is amazing:

belle isle track:

Last edited by cockerpunk; 06-20-2018 at 09:41 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.