Page 348 of 418 FirstFirst ... 248298338346347348349350358398 ... LastLast
Results 3,471 to 3,480 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    shockingly, we agree completely. good post, thank you for repeating exactly what i've been saying for 4 pages.
    And because you lack tact and communication skills, you cannot convey it.

Again, you are on virgin territory, many have been there

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i have dated women with all three of these.

and yes, i agree, there are times when they are unable to be happy, why would think i said anything otherwise?
    Because people with those afflictions know who they are but don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    And because you lack tact and communication skills, you cannot convey it.

Again, you are on virgin territory, many have been there
    last page you said i was an unmovable wall.

i think that means its your reading comprehension that is at fault here. for a bunch of guys who talk tech all the damn time, you guys sure seem to think tact matters so much and are unhappy i don't protect your feelings. lol.

Because people with those afflictions know who they are but don't like it.
    you don't need to have one of those three things to not like something about yourself.

what relevance does this have exactly to the topic at hand?
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Spirit of the land, spirit of the metaphorical heart. It is nothing exact. Just like explain what is love, what are the feelings of how much you love your wife and children? I equate that feeling of heart to the desire to be with a partner, physically, mentally and spiritually. I never had to define spirit, but i believe in it, just like the soul.i believe all living things have a certain spirit. Call it their presence in nature and how it effects things.

Spirit and soul go againt my belief in existentialism. There is no why in the spirit, there is no soul, only parts of us that make up the whole beyond the physical sense. As much as i do not believe in a god, i am sure there are some that feel "his spirit". It can not be explained.

Happiness is excitement, the "Joie de livre", happiness is also when everything goes right for you. Chemical, emotional, reactionary, whatever. It is not nor ever been just one thing. That is for certain.
    But i would gladly have a philosophical discussion with you or anyone. Here, pm email wherever.
    I really can't discuss philosophy too much. For one, I am not wired to be able to deal in (most) abstractions in that way. Sitting down and trying to understand philosophy leads me religion. Call that the delusion I chose to accept or whatever, but for me that is a binary way to understand my purpose. I also don't believe that religion is about condemnation, but rather about self-growth which is why I'd never shove religion down anyone's throat. This internal conflict is why I changed my major away from psychology. I couldn't rectify my belief/ happiness with logic alone. I am at peace with that.

Had the poly discussion been framed as one of purely philosophical nature, then I'd have only minor objections because I can't really tell people what to think. When there is proof to the contrary (science) that dispututes specific claims, however, that's when I take exception. Whether you chose to accept fact or not, doesn't affect reality. We can chose delusion for the sake of happiness as long as it doesn't harm others. Success rates of children, for instance, has categorical delineations that serve as good indicators for success. When you say something like "a polycule is a sufficient/ ideal/ whatever child-rearing environment," there is absolutely 0 proof to support that. It's complete BS. Not only is it BS, but it's not fair to gamble a kid's life in the complete unknown.
    Last edited by ironyusa; 08-24-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Way different topic, but I reallly like this guy's channel:

The cost of dirt is getting amazing in NYC especially getting rid of the fucking stuff.

Over the summer a bunch of dirt merchants got raided and arrested for illegal dumping on properties that they were setting up shell companies that bought up land where they illegally dump fill material in upstate NY, then they were just abandoning the land. Now the few remaining open dumps in 4 of the boroughs are now charging $65 per cy for tipping in their transfer stations. Which is laughable because contaminated soil that needs to go to regulated facilities is still $35-$50 to tip in Jersey facilities and PA facilities.

Reinforced soil goes by Engineered Soil as well, at least in the tristate area

Are the reinforcement materials used for the soil water permeable? What are your thoughts on some of the new water permeable concretes? I think it's really interesting for groundwater but have no idea how it can ever work with freezing. I did watch another of his civil engineering videos on geocell. I had no idea you could increase the shear strength of aggregate so much. I took a construction science elective on soil mechanics in college, but I never realized there are actually some cool topics in civil engineering.

Well this thread went off the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    Things don't make you happy. You choose to be happy or not.
    I want to just state publicly that I've struggled with fairly severe anxiety and depression for nearly 20 years now, and it's not as simple as any of you are making it out to be. Especially with respect to relationships. God, what a thread full of shit. FWIW I've been doing better the last few years though, so that's nice.

I worked as a geotech technician for a couple years, and freeze-thaw cycles aside I would be concerned about groundwater contamination with any wide-scale implementation of permeable concretes. Generally civ-es are pretty careful about stuff like that, but all the contamination we dump into our waterways/lakes/oceans would be a serious problem if we let more of it seep into the groundwater. In fact, a lot of what I did was intentionally built to prevent surface water from reaching groundwater. Turns out we dump a lot of shit in the ocean and hope it gets diluted before there's a problem.

And on quasi-related news I just got a promotion/title change at work to full mech-e, so that's cool. Building particle accelerators and particle accelerator accessories.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    Are the reinforcement materials used for the soil water permeable? What are your thoughts on some of the new water permeable concretes? I think it's really interesting for groundwater but have no idea how it can ever work with freezing. I did watch another of his civil engineering videos on geocell. I had no idea you could increase the shear strength of aggregate so much. I took a construction science elective on soil mechanics in college, but I never realized there are actually some cool topics in civil engineering.
    The reinforcing is typically a fabric mesh or honey comb plastic material, so it is permeable but that wouldnt be the intent of the material because if water permeates and actually drains you will also drain away your micro particles and other fines. The smaller particles tend to be silts most of the time which add some cohesion to your soils at the microscopic level which will degrade your stability angle, probably not by much though, but it wouldnt be the main intent of the engineered soil to permeate out.

As for the permeable concretes I am going to ditto a lot of what Steve said because my experience with it is similar. It isnt a bad idea but for a region like the north east where we get major freeze and thaw events I cannot see how it will take off. When I was working for a university one of my colleges was heading an ACI initiative to make more paved areas out of permeable concrete, and there are many town halls and other public buildings right now that are using it in parking lots. I was never big on the idea because of freeze thaw cycles and I had a student group do an experiment with confined permeable cylinders doing freeze thaw cycles. They were getting around 10-20% compression strength losses per cycle which was actually shocking, and typically this type of concrete is low strength to begin with. I have seen some permeable elastocrete experiments that can get typical concrete strengths of 3000-6000 psi but I would be skeptical of how they would last through freeze thaw as well. The other thing to consider is the additional costs of survey layouts, subgrade prep, and grading because low spots will always lead to ponding in permeable material which can then freeze.

Also as Steve touched on, most of the run off in a major city environment isnt somthing that you want to let contaminate your ground anymore then it already is. Especially in the tristate area as "historic fill" and contaminated soil is becoming a very heavy topic between the city agencies, and it wouldnt be ideal to have permeable materials that would allow water to redistribute "historic fill" material in an uncontrolled way.

Up where I am there is still a lot of combined sewers in major cities like NY, Newark, Philly and being that this is an area that gets a large amount of annual rainfall, there is a huge initiative to separate storm and sanitary sewer systems. So much so that NYC will be bidding about $1,000,000,000.00 worth of sewer reconstruction projects every year for the next 60 years or so. They are also redoing their sanitary sewer plants and adding storm water plants to aid in the removal of hazards that are being released into the local environment.

The Geo cell is an interesting product. Concrete in particular is an area that has always and will always have a ton of room for innovation and maybe one day we can actually make a concrete product that can be more than essentially a cheap filler material to pack out steel framework with.

Steve, you're not the only person that suffers from anxiety and depression. I would be more than happy to discuss things more openly with you privately via email. I'm done with the philosophy discussion though.

I had no idea that permeable concrete was a bad idea. It just seems like most of the contaminants come from the surface and if you could maybe allow water, but not petroleum pass through then it'd be ok. I really don't see how you stop things like antifreeze out if the water stream.

I guess what's interesting to me is that cement is a major pollution source. I heard some company was trying to inject co2 into the mix, but the crazy thing is that the industry as a whole seems content to remain the same. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems like outsiders are looking for solutions without proper understanding of the mechanical requirements of concrete. Things like hempcrete and all that sound cool from a sequestering standpoint, but I remember you saying things like termites attack it. I don't know very much at all about civil/ construction engineering in general, but the after my sister got all her LEED certifications I realized there are some people trying do something new... Just doesn't seem to be any of the major incumbents.