Page 410 of 418 FirstFirst ... 310360400408409410411412 ... LastLast
Results 4,091 to 4,100 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

  1. #4091
    Insider imped4now's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    354
    I think the most glaring point is that you can turn anything (*ANYTHING*) into an argument.
    OlllllllO

  2. #4092
    Quote Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
    I think the most glaring point is that you can turn anything (*ANYTHING*) into an argument.
    :shrug: i didn't.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

  3. #4093
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i am not telling anyone how to live there lives.

    1. still not comparing a toy to a toy
    2. it still stupid to compare something that costs 500 dollars to something that costs 30,000+ and requires on the cheap side an additional 10kish worth of of stuff to use.

    in summary "oh haha, isn't it cute, my kid on his 5 dollars a week allowance bought this action figure, and i went out and bought a useless motorized vehicle for 10s of thousands of dollars, a toy is a toy after all right! these things are totally equal and fun!"

    purposefully ignoring costs is not a counter argument. cost is the entire point. the obscene wealth is the entire point.
    Ok,

    at what point is a toy an acceptable expense for someone to be reasonable if we are putting a standard on it? I personally dont think we are in the area of obsene wealth when we are talking about 30k objects, sure that is real money, but obscene money not particularly.

    Hypothetically if any toy in question costs x% of a yearly salary, and you get multiple years of your hobby out of it, what percentage would be considered too much?

  4. #4094
    Quote Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
    I think the most glaring point is that you can turn anything (*ANYTHING*) into an argument.
    This.

    This discussion with cockerpunk is a waste of time.

  5. #4095
    Quote Originally Posted by Florypb505 View Post
    Ok,

    at what point is a toy an acceptable expense for someone to be reasonable if we are putting a standard on it? I personally dont think we are in the area of obsene wealth when we are talking about 30k objects, sure that is real money, but obscene money not particularly.

    Hypothetically if any toy in question costs x% of a yearly salary, and you get multiple years of your hobby out of it, what percentage would be considered too much?
    i didn't say anything about "acceptable"

    i merely pointed out a vehicle that is a wildly expensive toy that is generally useless. you guys decided it was something to fight about and attacked my lifestyle.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

  6. #4096
    No one needs a monetary value for it to make sense.

    You know what is stupid, gambling. I am not talking $1 scratch offs, no, i am talking about $30k a hand on blackjack, or how about dropping $100k in a night or even 1million? It doesn't make any sense, and altruistically, that money gambled could be used for actual good(feeding people, the homeless, whatever). Yet, people do it daily, hourly, even not leaving the comfort of your home. Thanks smart phones!

    So no. Just because you think anything that you do is the perfect way, the perfect balance of fun/money, it does not work for everyone.

    Many people see paintball as a useless expense of money, when you can have real steel. How about stamps? Collecting money? Sport fishing? Spending countless hours, money(gear, boats, fuel, maintenance etc) just to catch a fish, only to free them after a picture? Doesn't make sense and i am sure, you see no value.

    How about skiing? Going down a mountain, only to go up it again.

    The other side of the spectrum. Free climbing. No harness, no safety gear. Just you, some chalk and an object. Low cost there.

    Just because you do not CHOOSE to spend money doesn't make you better than anyone else that has the means, has the credit(most boats are bought on credit), and says. Yeah, i want that toy.

    I know you are baiting people, to get a rise. I am sure of it. Like most here, i am in my early 40s. So your 'boomer' comment is misplaced like most of your ideals.

    And the quick version. People do what they like. If they can do something they like, they have the option of spending money or not. Your opinion is like a colon, full of shit.

  7. #4097
    Quote Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
    This.

    This discussion with cockerpunk is a waste of time.
    No, TRYING to have a discussion with Gordo is a waste of time. You are never correct. Your life is a lie. Every choice you made is wrong. Gordo's truth will set you free....

  8. #4098
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    yes, lets consider the 500 dollar miata, which can be used as an only car, and daily driver, compared to the 30+ grand non-street legal (which means you probably need a truck and trailer to enjoy it) toy.

    that makes perfect sense.
    Have kids. Nope, miata is out.

    Do construction, nope miata is useless.

    Required to move product in your own vehicle, nope miata is useless.

    Having a race car makes no sense.


    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i knew i was gonna get this kind of response when i posted, but i didn't think it would be the dumbest of all of them. i figured it was gonna be "most people can't race cars" to which id say that over the last 3 years i have spent considerably less than 30k to road race.
    Yet you continue to troll.

    I am as bad because i answer you, against common sense.

    You race, but in minor events. Do you need a racing license? Do you need to have spec safety equipment in the car? Is the events you drive in even sanctioned?

    Just because you say you road race, how many series wins do you have? How many trophies can you display? What tracks have you conquered? How much have you earned winning all these races? Have you ever considered putting your miata & skills against better competition?

    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i didnt think someone would be bring up owning several sub 2000 dollar cars. lol. proves that point pretty well.
    Your point of what? You buy cheap vehicles, race them in small events, against people with more money than skill. Beating up the soccer dads, and the overgrown boy racers?

    The funny thing is, in racing, the pint of it is to take risks. Dive deeper into a corner, drive closer to the edge, keep the engine on the redline to eek out that little bit of speed more than your opponent, but i don't think you understand that. You think you do. You found a winning formula on ice, but you appear to be a one trick pony. You should be pushing yourself out deeper, out more, doing bigger and better races, testing your ability against more skilled racers.

    But you won't. You have as many excuses as there were miatas made. You won't take risks. You'll stay in your little world, laughing at the weekend warriors who spend "too much money" on toys. Needing trailers and tow vehicles to come out and play.

  9. #4099
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    No, TRYING to have a discussion with Gordo is a waste of time.
    then you post this

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Have kids. Nope, miata is out.

    Do construction, nope miata is useless.

    Required to move product in your own vehicle, nope miata is useless.

    Having a race car makes no sense.




    Yet you continue to troll.

    I am as bad because i answer you, against common sense.

    You race, but in minor events. Do you need a racing license? Do you need to have spec safety equipment in the car? Is the events you drive in even sanctioned?

    Just because you say you road race, how many series wins do you have? How many trophies can you display? What tracks have you conquered? How much have you earned winning all these races? Have you ever considered putting your miata & skills against better competition?



    Your point of what? You buy cheap vehicles, race them in small events, against people with more money than skill. Beating up the soccer dads, and the overgrown boy racers?

    The funny thing is, in racing, the pint of it is to take risks. Dive deeper into a corner, drive closer to the edge, keep the engine on the redline to eek out that little bit of speed more than your opponent, but i don't think you understand that. You think you do. You found a winning formula on ice, but you appear to be a one trick pony. You should be pushing yourself out deeper, out more, doing bigger and better races, testing your ability against more skilled racers.

    But you won't. You have as many excuses as there were miatas made. You won't take risks. You'll stay in your little world, laughing at the weekend warriors who spend "too much money" on toys. Needing trailers and tow vehicles to come out and play.
    i didn't say anything about allowed or not allowed, or weekend warriors this or that. i merely pointed out a highly expensive, totally useless toy exists. then you decided to put me on trial for all of my life choices because of it. who really has the problem here? like every thread i state and opinion in, we get to rehash my entire life, complete with your personal attacks, why not one more time!

    :shrug:
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 03-10-2020 at 11:26 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

  10. #4100
    The toy, has a use. The toy is more expensive than you feel is necessary. The toy will have buyers. If not it will wither on the vine. It does not need you to justify it.

    Your life choices are relavent because you use them for justification. "$30k side by side toy is useless. You can buy a $500 miata and have much more fun. #miatalife..." So when you use your life as an example, then you don't get to pull it back when you don't like it.

    Again, what events have you entered in?

    What series do you race in?

    What sanctioning body do you belong to?

    How much winnings have you earned?

    How many trophies have you won?

    And no. Your life choices are yours. I am not saying you are wrong. What i am saying is, your opinion is wrong. Your thinking is wrong. You are wrong in answering people here. Since you do not respond to reason, i use a sledgehammer to make my point.
    Last edited by Nobody; 03-10-2020 at 07:52 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •