Page 404 of 418 FirstFirst ... 304354394402403404405406414 ... LastLast
Results 4,031 to 4,040 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i was mostly referring to the whole notion that climate change is bullshit portion of the post.

climate change is, in fact, not bullshit.
    I agree with you, I can't see how anyone can deny that the climate is changing, I can get that people are fighting about the cause but if someone is denying it entirely that is hard to justify. Adding to that the stupidity of people, and their written and published opinions, when it comes to what helps and hurts our rapidly changing ratio of atmosphere is absolutely mind boggling.

This trash caught my eye on my news feed, I couldn't get past the first paragraph with the stupidity of it https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wir...r-imagined/amp

And that author is the one that rights about science for them..... Just wow.

Recap of that story so people don't need to click it. The author's SUV is bad for the environment and they feel like a hypocrite for driving it alone to work while they support climate conservation policies.... The author's solution, buy a NEW electric suv!!! So they can feel good about themselves doing things better than other plebs with their old gas sucking planet killing SUVs.....
    Last edited by Florypb505; 11-30-2019 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Florypb505 View Post
    I agree with you, I can't see how anyone can deny that the climate is changing, I can get that people are fighting about the cause but if someone is denying it entirely that is hard to justify. Adding to that the stupidity of people, and their written and published opinions, when it comes to what helps and hurts our rapidly changing ratio of atmosphere is absolutely mind boggling.

This trash caught my eye on my news feed, I couldn't get past the first paragraph with the stupidity of it https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wir...r-imagined/amp

And that author is the one that rights about science for them..... Just wow.

Recap of that story so people don't need to click it. The author's SUV is bad for the environment and they feel like a hypocrite for driving it alone to work while they support climate conservation policies.... The author's solution, buy a NEW electric suv!!! So they can feel good about themselves doing things better than other plebs with their old gas sucking planet killing SUVs.....
    no one with any actual knowledge is fighting about the cause of climate change.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    I have a hard time believing that global warming oops "climate change" or whatever it's buzzword this week is, is caused by humans. It's pure hubris to me, given all the factors impossible to quantify or even consider in the equation.

Local environments, sure, we need to be better stewards, but globally?

In my lifetime we've seen real global impacts on climate (measurable even) caused by volcanic activity -Pinatubo, 1991- for instance... which according to NASA cooled down the earth for two years before the atmosphere sorted itself out. We've seen headlines lately that the ozone hole over Antarctica has shrank! Whoohoo! Not mentioned is that the most active volcano on the planet -Mount Erebus- happens to be right under it, with a persistent lava lake... which happens to be on the low end of its activity level since it's been measured.

There's just way too much correlation vs causation going on for me to buy into humanity being the prime driver here, or even having a significant impact on the global scale. There's just too much energy involved that we have no possible way of controlling.
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I have a hard time believing that global warming oops "climate change" or whatever it's buzzword this week is, is caused by humans. It's pure hubris to me, given all the factors impossible to quantify or even consider in the equation.

Local environments, sure, we need to be better stewards, but globally?

In my lifetime we've seen real global impacts on climate (measurable even) caused by volcanic activity -Pinatubo, 1991- for instance... which according to NASA cooled down the earth for two years before the atmosphere sorted itself out. We've seen headlines lately that the ozone hole over Antarctica has shrank! Whoohoo! Not mentioned is that the most active volcano on the planet -Mount Erebus- happens to be right under it, with a persistent lava lake... which happens to be on the low end of its activity level since it's been measured.

There's just way too much correlation vs causation going on for me to buy into humanity being the prime driver here, or even having a significant impact on the global scale. There's just too much energy involved that we have no possible way of controlling.
    well, you'd be wrong. its definitive and without counter argument: humans are causing the current warming with carbon gases which will accelerate the earth natural positive feedback systems into large amounts of warming if we don't slow down significantly in our carbon gas production.

its just true. sorry. it doesn't matter if you don't believe it.

if you want the data, it is widely and easily available.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 12-04-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I have a hard time believing that global warming oops "climate change" or whatever it's buzzword this week is, is caused by humans.
    You can chalk that "oops" up to Frank Lutz (a GoP strategist). "Climate Change" is less scary so Republican politicians were encouraged to use it. Global Warming is still accurate.

https://motherjones.com/files/LuntzR...nvironment.pdf

And by the way, Luntz has changed his mind on global warming.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...change-1470653
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Just can't keep the politics contained in one crap-hole, can we? Disappointing.

Climate change is science, not politics. If you'd like I can remove the bits about the GoP.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Insider
    I hate car shopping.

Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

Displacement limitations get thrown out when you add a nuclear reactor to an aircraft carrier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Aa9pQYrg0

Insider
    Now if only they could get the new funky catapults working?