Page 403 of 418 FirstFirst ... 303353393401402403404405413 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,030 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Here's a fun bit - most of our lenders we have refuse to finance a Tesla. Not entirely sure why, but it's a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Florypb505 View Post
    I do like that the whole body is 1/8" plate, really can change the structure of a car getting that much meat that far away from the centroid doesnt hurt at all.
    But doesn't it actually hurt? I'm not sure I understand.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    Here's a fun bit - most of our lenders we have refuse to finance a Tesla. Not entirely sure why, but it's a thing.
    I would bet that its a high risk, low reward on resale. If the trucks fail, many would likely dump them because of lack of factory warranty. But its doubtful that any true reason will be buried deep inside a vault.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I assume he's being sarcastic.

I've heard the F-117 Nighthawk was a nightmare to manufacture, since all of the sharp angles require unusually tight tolerances to avoid panel gaps that produce large radar signatures and are visually obvious. For a company with a reputation of making cars with large, uneven panel gaps, this design seems self-destructive.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Not for stiffness. They are getting a ton of I off of that design, most likely why their payload and towing claims are in line with a full size frame on truck. It kills the ridgeline, the other unibody truck in doing those kind of truck things as well.

Probably terrible for the crumple zones for impact but for vehicle stiffness that is great in my opinion.

They are probably going to gain some internal space as well since they most likely wont need a traditional rocker or channel connecting the pillars with the sheeting being that substantial.

Wont blow the bed out either when actually using it as intended, you could pick up stone and not worry about it crushing your bed, or the loader pushing against the side of your bed and denting the truck. Also with that payload rating, if the bed has enough volume, you could put a whole yard of stone, or none granite based sand, in it by weight which is pretty excellent for a small truck.

and yea I cant imagine bending some of those shapes with a plate that thick, it might actually be cnc welded and ground for some of those sharper corners, I would assume they are gusseted on the inside as well.

Insider
    I find the concrete industry's attempt at green-washing comical... but then again, I find most of the green industry to be, since it's primarily lip service anyway. Few of the law makers actually believe in it, the science is so politicized I have a hard time believing anything without a huge pile of non-adjusted empirical data behind it. The number fudging and "climate modeling" is rampant. If they were serious and actually believed that humans can factually alter the state of the entire planets atmosphere (IMO, peak human hubris) with anything short of a nuclear holocaust, they'd apply their rules worldwide. Since the primary target is the west, it's much easier to see the entire movement as just a vehicle for wealth distribution. Shit I just turned this into Poltics...

The chunky mustang thing just makes me glad I don't own ford stock. GM isn't much better. No idea what car to get next, only a few months left on my lease...
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I find the concrete industry's attempt at green-washing comical... but then again, I find most of the green industry to be, since it's primarily lip service anyway. Few of the law makers actually believe in it, the science is so politicized I have a hard time believing anything without a huge pile of non-adjusted empirical data behind it. The number fudging and "climate modeling" is rampant. If they were serious and actually believed that humans can factually alter the state of the entire planets atmosphere (IMO, peak human hubris) with anything short of a nuclear holocaust, they'd apply their rules worldwide. Since the primary target is the west, it's much easier to see the entire movement as just a vehicle for wealth distribution. Shit I just turned this into Poltics...

The chunky mustang thing just makes me glad I don't own ford stock. GM isn't much better. No idea what car to get next, only a few months left on my lease...
    ho boy

lots to unpack here.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    ho boy

lots to unpack here.
    I can't disagree, there is not a new car that can actually be climate neutral or beneficial at all. The actual best practice if you want to be a climate conservative is to buy the oldest car you can with the least amount of money you can, and keep it running via junk yard and or recycled parts for as long as you can. Anything else, if you are trying to be a "climate advocate" is just masturbation and voyeurism because you want people to watch you jerking off. Outside of that any single new car is more carbon detrimental than any car you could pick up from the past. Especially electric cars, the batteries get shipped around the world before they are actually a product over here which does nothing but hurts our carbon emission.

Building in general is bad for the environment. The only true way forward is to put the recycling costs into a product before sales, which will never happen, so there is no real truly green or fully accounted for products in any industry, making any green talk literally full of shit for the environment.

People say they want to do better, few will actually do it, especially if it doesnt get them social media famous in the process.

Just buying everything used is literally the best way someone can be carbon neutral.
    Last edited by Florypb505; 11-26-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Insider
    Yup. The embodied energy in all these newfangled battery skateboards is huge, are their life cycles even long enough to offset that vs petro-chemical energy sources?
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

Quote Originally Posted by Florypb505 View Post
    I can't disagree, there is not a new car that can actually be climate neutral or beneficial at all. The actual best practice if you want to be a climate conservative is to buy the oldest car you can with the least amount of money you can, and keep it running via junk yard and or recycled parts for as long as you can. Anything else, if you are trying to be a "climate advocate" is just masturbation and voyeurism because you want people to watch you jerking off. Outside of that any single new car is more carbon detrimental than any car you could pick up from the past. Especially electric cars, the batteries get shipped around the world before they are actually a product over here which does nothing but hurts our carbon emission.

Building in general is bad for the environment. The only true way forward is to put the recycling costs into a product before sales, which will never happen, so there is no real truly green or fully accounted for products in any industry, making any green talk literally full of shit for the environment.

People say they want to do better, few will actually do it, especially if it doesnt get them social media famous in the process.

Just buying everything used is literally the best way someone can be carbon neutral.
    i was mostly referring to the whole notion that climate change is bullshit portion of the post.

climate change is, in fact, not bullshit.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.