Page 217 of 418 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219227267317 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

FWIW, sailing also has a similar system, it's based on the boat itself. Sails, draught, length, etc.

My gf used to/still does race on a boat that might as well not have competed in some of the races because it's so fast that they effectively lost the race before they even started - didn't have enough time racing to actually make up how much they owed all the other boats.

Of course, one-design races also exist. You're stuck with a set of sails and not allowed to modify what you bring with (ie can't fly a bigger/longer head sail for different wind conditions); you're stuck with the league/race rules.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    My gf used to/still does race on a boat that might as well not have competed in some of the races because it's so fast that they effectively lost the race before they even started - didn't have enough time racing to actually make up how much they owed all the other boats.
    this statement is confusing, the bolded text seems to conflict.

anyway,

the goal is to actually make for good racing. racing that shows skill, knowledge and cleverness, not just who will throw the most money at it. because arms race racing never ends well (see also GT1, and GT2, group B, group S etc etc)
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

So, because it's based on the boat only, and has nothing to do with the race, the boat owed X amount of time to the other boats. If the first place boat took X plus 1 minute, then unless her boat finished the entire race in under one minute, she could not have won. Does that make sense?

The boat itself is designed for long-distance, offshore racing and they were doing races inside a small portion of Lake Ontario.

The points system in sailing is designed to equalize the race as well, unfortunately it doesn't always work out, especially in races of either extremely long or extremely short duration. I guess functionally it's more of a handicap in golf than a BoP system.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    So, because it's based on the boat only, and has nothing to do with the race, the boat owed X amount of time to the other boats. If the first place boat took X plus 1 minute, then unless her boat finished the entire race in under one minute, she could not have won. Does that make sense?

The boat itself is designed for long-distance, offshore racing and they were doing races inside a small portion of Lake Ontario.

The points system in sailing is designed to equalize the race as well, unfortunately it doesn't always work out, especially in races of either extremely long or extremely short duration. I guess functionally it's more of a handicap in golf than a BoP system.
    ah i see

in autocross we use a system called PAX, which is a mathematical modifier for your time based on what class you are in (what type of car you are driving), that modifies the raw time to compare cross class. PAX is controversial for a lot of reasons, my most basic one is that it comes down on a high and is frankly just the opinion of one guy, god knows what models, if any, and how they work, he uses to come up with them.

it also struggles because courses are all different, on different surfaces, weather is all different across the country etc, so there is no way a simple linear regression can account for all that.

but, it actually does a pretty decent job most of the time.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

It's pretty surprising how well you can usually do with a first order analysis.

Do leagues use ballast or something to even out performance on track? Or is it all just a post-hoc numbers game?

If ballast is added do teams get to decide where it goes?

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    It's pretty surprising how well you can usually do with a first order analysis.

Do leagues use ballast or something to even out performance on track? Or is it all just a post-hoc numbers game?

If ballast is added do teams get to decide where it goes?
    in autocross no, but the classes are regulated as to the cars in them, and what can be modified in them, and the PAX multiplayer takes into account all those modifications (again, supposedly).

What about le mans?
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    What about le mans?
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    so there is a fuck ton to consider. its a super complex engineering problem. you have things like wing size, end plate size, angle of attack, ride height, fuel tank size, fuel tank orifice, tire size, retrictor plate, boost pressure, max RPM, weight. and these also have interaction effects. weight won't just effect the off corner acceleration, but also the braking distance. limiting wing angle will reduce cornering speeds, but actually increase straight line speed etc etc.
    the list of performance effecting things that are regulatable is pretty long and includes almost everything. weight is one of them.

Yeah but I'm asking if they add ballast/modify the physical vehicles themselves?
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

I know they add ballast in Super Comp drag racing to even out different car brands.