Page 178 of 418 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188228278 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Tesla revealed their solar roof system this week. Solar panels that look like normal shingles (or slate/terra-cotta). And if his estimation of "no more expensive than replacing your roof normally" is true, this could be huge for renewable energy folks.

I know that our HOA doesn't allow solar panels - but these suckers look like shingles. I could get away with it for sure when we need to replace it (we just built the freakin' house, so we likely won't be here at that point.)

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/28/...d-powerwall-2/

I just saw that on one of my feeds this morning. That's truly exciting. I wonder how it fares with hail... In Texas, most 20 year shingled roofs are replaced at 8 years due to frequent hail.

The solar panels are cool, I wonder how much efficency gets lost with the layering though.

The hempcrete is a different story. I have students do experiments with it all the time. Biggest problems with it are drastic strength reductions, moisture absorbtion after cure period, which is an awefull thing unless you like sweaty walls and rusty reinforcement. It also rots and is a termite magnet. Not to mention it costs more to get than sand, and no sand isn't technically a renewable resource but we arnt exactly running out of sand ever so... The most success people have with hempcrete is when the hemp gets a resin layer sprayed on it and all your reinforcement is resin coated as well, but that kind of kills the environmental impact benefits. It also stains the concrete brown as it leaches water from the mix and drips.

The real insulating lightweight aggregates come from astm c330 type aggregates. They are expanded materials from kiln drying, and aeration like expanded glass microspheres, on the lighter and more expensive side, to expanded clays thay are heavier but cheaper as well. Aero gel has expensive powder with great weight and insulating properties and there is a company elemix that recycles closed cell Styrofoam into small beads that do not take away from strength to much in a reasonable proportion.

All of these other materials besides hemp won't rot, are easier to produce, don't get devoured by termites, produce a stronger concrete, don't leach as much water out of the mix, and won't stain the concrete.

The other cool research ares is self healing concrete, there are certain bacterium that produce calcium carbonate so when they are exposed to air and water through a microcrack they will begin the produce a cementious material that will fill in the Crack and the moisture touching the Crack will help it cure.

Curious where your information about hempcrete comes from...? The rusted reinforcement is likely due to a reaction with the lime. You're the only person I've ever seen that said it is sensitive to termites... all published research says otherwise. The sweating could be from any number of issues. You said students do the experiments, but none of your story lines up with what I've seen.

Insider
    Throw fly ash into your concrete mix for the LEED point and call it a day. Expect inconsistent finish color though.

I'm not really going for LEED points. I became friends with a few developers and a contractor that does huge facilities. We've been tossing around the idea of doing an experimental development in conjunction with a university (which would also allow us to grow the hemp under Texas law). There is a lot of depth to the concept and hempcrete is a single facet, but we are trying to push some boundaries.

Went to see Dr. Strange this weekend. Very enjoyable.

Am I the only one that thinks pooty anodizing is, uh, ugly ?

endeavor to persevere.......

It's not really my bag either.

Not my cup of tea either. Looks like an easter egg.

That said, props to him for trying new things. It's not ugly, someone will really enjoy it.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon