Page 156 of 418 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166206256 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

I've done it before, leap of faith is my best answer

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    How do people move cross country without first flying there to see places? Holy hell this is frustrating.
    We built a house 12 hours away. Granted, we knew the neighborhood a bit but all of the exchanges, mortgage stuff, etc was done via fax, email, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I enjoy doing things with a big workspace. With a fairly well-defined end goal, but not a lot of constraints on how to get there. I work better with other people interacting on a project than alone.

I do really enjoy optics and electronics, if you're looking for subject matter. That's the current goal, to eventually get back into that.
    electronics industry is in the shitter right now. everything is commoditizing faster than new stuff can be invented.

at least in consumer electronics.

optics ... now there i might be able to help yah. AR/VR optics are becoming hot.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Yeah I wouldn't want to work on consumer wafers.

Insider
    Let's see. Moves that I took that I did not scout out first:

Kenai Alaska to Bellingham WA, in February, drove the Al-Can. About 2500 miles. With wife, 2 kids.

Bellingham to Corpus Christi, TX. 2600 miles. Drove down myself, flew up a month later and drove wife and 4.75 kids down (wife was 8 months pregnant).

Corpus to Knoxville, TN. 1250 miles with 5 kids. Didn't even know if I had work in TN or NC before I left, I was footing two offers.

It is frustrating, especially if you need a house with 4 bedrooms, but if you take the attitude that it is an adventure... hey, it turns out to be one.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

I never understood why strapless packs were made with elastic ejection straps. So you add friction to hold in the pod, then you add elastic tension to make it easier to pull the pod? I can see how if the kinetic friction coefficient of the pod holders is significantly less than the static coefficient, you have a "snappy(?)" feel when you pull a pod. I don't think this is the case from my experience. It seems like the pod holders are just slightly tighter than necessary and then some of that force is offset by the elastic tension.

If the pack makers were really on the ball, they'd figure out a way to incorporate a magnetic retention system that worked in conjunction with the pods. Or some other sort of retention method other than a velcro'd strap, friction, or elastic loops. Then again, maybe it's yet another case of "what we have is mostly good enough, so just make a decent one of those and people will buy it... or lean heavily on your branding and hope kids will buy it so they can be agg/plum/100/whatever the cool term today is".

I havnt had a pack with straps since late 90's early 2k, the bunkerking is the best one ive used over those years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    If the pack makers were really on the ball, they'd figure out a way to incorporate a magnetic retention system that worked in conjunction with the pods. Or some other sort of retention method other than a velcro'd strap, friction, or elastic loops. Then again, maybe it's yet another case of "what we have is mostly good enough, so just make a decent one of those and people will buy it... or lean heavily on your branding and hope kids will buy it so they can be agg/plum/100/whatever the cool term today is".
    This increases manufacturing costs though. Also, it could cause pods to either attract or repel one another, so that would be frustrating as well. Pull one pod and all of them come out.