Page 388 of 418 FirstFirst ... 288338378386387388389390398 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,880 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

No, I don't see a difference. There's always differences between adjacent generations, but it'll just eventually cycle around anyway from generations who work hard without much payoff, their kids who piggyback on their parents' work ethic, then another generation of fixing things again, etc.

In the current political/economic system, I think this is inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
    No, I don't see a difference. There's always differences between adjacent generations, but it'll just eventually cycle around anyway from generations who work hard without much payoff, their kids who piggyback on their parents' work ethic, then another generation of fixing things again, etc.

In the current political/economic system, I think this is inevitable.
    i mean we will find out what millennials get wrong in 40 years, and im sure we will some things wrong.

but it won't be the same mistakes the boomers made, and the world will be an objectively better place if we can actually do something about it and its not too late (see also: climate change).

i dont really get the argument "nothing will change because each generation tries to fix the problems the previous generation caused and/or failed to fix"

lots of things change. the world is objectively better than it was before, because plenty of things change. the "upwinding" if you will of blame for the world is constant, but the problems that are being fixed are not.

funny antictode from last night:

me: ranting about how human problems are the only real problems, and that a massive failure of human mangament has caused nearly every problem in society

my date: so are you going to get an MBA?

me: hell no, where do you think these "managers" learned everything they are doing wrong?
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 06-25-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    truly amazing how these terrible people created such objectively fantastic progress and growth
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    truly amazing how these terrible people created such objectively fantastic progress and growth
    what growth? lol

c'mon, you can troll better than that.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    http://www.personal.psu.edu/~dxl31/e..._2006/gdp2.png

I'm barely being tongue in cheek on this one actually.

I'm not a pure growth evangelist but I do think it tends to swamp most other factors (housing and education are in shambles, though. I'm working through Tabarrok's "The Prices are Too Damn High" re: Baumol effect and I'm not certain it's a convincing thesis, but it's seductive in it's optimism.)

Jeez, this is almost turning into OT:Politics/light.

Insider
    This forum is dead, let us fiddle while it burns

This forum has been highly disappointing recently.
    OlllllllO

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    This forum is dead, let us fiddle while it burns
    All forms are dead and burning

Insider
    Yes, absolutely. I find it really sad personally. Some facebook groups seem pretty good/active, discord seems to be a popular watering hole, and instagram seems to be the main content-drip for companies. I don't think it's a paintball specific problem, or even one that's aging specific.

That said the algorithms used for content ranking (e.g. reddit upvotes) seem to create useful content, NOT useful conversations. So while the data utility of the platform is enhanced, the social utility is decreased.