Page 409 of 418 FirstFirst ... 309359399407408409410411 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,090 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    gotta love boomer privilege.
    I think I'm pretty much in agreement with you here, but what's this even mean, especially in this context?
    OlllllllO

Some people can't own more than one $500 car is my point. Don't be obtuse.

Quote Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
    Some people can't own more than one $500 car is my point. Don't be obtuse.
    comparing a 30K+ off road only vehicle that basically requires a truck and trailer and is useless for anything besides "hey hold my beer" and a 500 dollar daily driving car is pretty ridiculous.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

For some people, $500 is throwaway money for a toy. For other people $30k is throwaway money for a toy. I'm not giving an opinion but pointing out that you can't make a blanket statement like "$30k for a toy is unreasonable for anybody".

*actually, Nobody said the same thing. If what he says doesn't make sense to you, idk if what I said will either.

Quote Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
    For some people, $500 is throwaway money for a toy. For other people $30k is throwaway money for a toy. I'm not giving an opinion but pointing out that you can't make a blanket statement like "$30k for a toy is unreasonable for anybody".
    again, you are comparing 500 dollars that is daily driveable useful and practical commuter, to 30k+ plus truck and trailer that isn't road legal or literally useful for anything besides hold my beer ...

i mean, what can i say, you picked this absurd comparison and think that re-explaining it will make it less absurd.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

again, you are comparing 500 dollars that is daily driveable useful and practical commuter, to 30k+ plus truck and trailer that isn't road legal or literally useful for anything besides hold my beer ...

i mean, what can i say, you picked this absurd comparison and think that re-explaining it will make it less absurd.
    Some people have money for a $30k toy. Some don't. That's his point and I think it's valid. A NA Miata makes a perfect DD for some, but for others it wouldn't work and would also be considered a "toy." There's nothing egregious or incorrect about these statements, nor do they warrant argument. It's all about perspective.

I went to the local boat show last weekend to check out some wake boats that I can't afford. The current "king of the industry" stickers at about $300k (Nautique G23/G25 Paragon if you care). Demand for the boat is currently triple what they forecasted, so not only can plenty of people afford a $30k toy, they can afford something far more absurd and arguably even less useful/practical. Perspective.
    OlllllllO

Quote Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
    Some people have money for a $30k toy. Some don't. That's his point and I think it's valid. A NA Miata makes a perfect DD for some, but for others it wouldn't work and would also be considered a "toy." There's nothing egregious or incorrect about these statements, nor do they warrant argument. It's all about perspective.

I went to the local boat show last weekend to check out some wake boats that I can't afford. The current "king of the industry" stickers at about $300k (Nautique G23/G25 Paragon if you care). Demand for the boat is currently triple what they forecasted, so not only can plenty of people afford a $30k toy, they can afford something far more absurd and arguably even less useful/practical. Perspective.
    you are simply ignoring the point im making. dollars matter. pointing out there are massively super rich people spending money on absurd stupid toys with no actual use merely makes my point even more important.

you are simply ignoring the point im making. dollars matter. pointing out there are massively super rich people spending money on absurd stupid toys with no actual use merely makes my point even more important.
    Strange argument.

Telling people how to live their lives and what they can spend money on and what they cant seems strange from your political point of view.

A toy is a toy what does it matter whom can afford what class of toy?

Quote Originally Posted by Florypb505 View Post
    Strange argument.

Telling people how to live their lives and what they can spend money on and what they cant seems strange from your political point of view.

A toy is a toy what does it matter whom can afford what class of toy?
    i am not telling anyone how to live there lives.

1. still not comparing a toy to a toy
    2. it still stupid to compare something that costs 500 dollars to something that costs 30,000+ and requires on the cheap side an additional 10kish worth of of stuff to use.

in summary "oh haha, isn't it cute, my kid on his 5 dollars a week allowance bought this action figure, and i went out and bought a useless motorized vehicle for 10s of thousands of dollars, a toy is a toy after all right! these things are totally equal and fun!"

purposefully ignoring costs is not a counter argument. cost is the entire point. the obscene wealth is the entire point.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 03-06-2020 at 10:39 AM.