Page 197 of 418 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207247297 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,970 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Insider
    Pretty cool, Gordon - spec racing seems like a very logical style.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

yeah there are always spec'er cars than other cars, and setup is still super important, but it does keep the cars reasonably close to one another, and keeps the costs down as long as you arn't trying to win SCCA runnoffs or something. there are 40 grand spec miatas out there. they make 3 more hp than the 20 grand ones, which make 3 more hp than the 10 grand ones, but on the banking at daytona, 3hp is the difference between 1st and 31st.

that being said, if you get into racing to win, then you will be unhappy. you have to be into racing to race. and that means losing. losing is how you learn to get better, its all part of the system.

I'm excited to race, ill be gunning for a reliable, mid-pack car in the 10-15 grand range, which is pretty common. start racing, and see what happens.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    There is a lot of wisdom there. Stop the comparisons. Improve yourself. Focus on what matters.

money does buy faster cars, always will. money matters. and if you pay someone to blueprint a motor (push all factory tolerances to the limits), you will have an advantage.

but lets be real, until you are a national caliber driver, you should be working on your driving, not paying someone to buy 1000 valve springs, so you can pick the 16 stiffest ones and just get that tiny bit higher hp.

yes, national levels engines are built like that. because serious business.

i'll also have to get even better at doing alignments and understanding the relationships between alignment settings and performance. i've done a lot of these in my garage for the spyder, and for an autocrosser im pretty good, but road racing is a totally different ball game, you can no longer use rear toe to get the car to turn because when your doing 110mph into turn 1 at road america, having 3mm toe out is going to put you into a slide the second you even think about starting to turn the wheel.

it shall be a fun adventure.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Sat in the grey fastback Miata at the Chicago Car Show. Quite impressed. It's one of the few small sports cars I don't have trouble getting in and out of these days. Hell, Mustangs and Camaros give me trouble, the Camaro much more than the Mustang.

Saw this old 1949 Apache Fireball air rifle refurbishment thread - interesting to see valve tech later used in paintball in almost the exact same fashion. I know poppet valves aren't anything new, it just struck me practically how identical it was to an autococker setup, valve nut and all.

http://imgur.com/gallery/C9qz5
    Last edited by AndrewTheWookie; 03-12-2017 at 01:55 PM.
    I don't know, fly casual

Pump head reminds me of an exalt squeegee

oh if anyone wanted to follow along i started a blog page on fb about getting into scca club racing: https://www.facebook.com/KuhnleySpecMiata/

Look at that Lurker(R) Control Freak Poppet(TM)

Where's that from?