Page 405 of 418 FirstFirst ... 305355395403404405406407415 ... LastLast
Results 4,041 to 4,050 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Holy shit....you guys see those spam posts?

Who's monitoring this ship?
    OlllllllO

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I hate car shopping.

The shopping process sucks. No doubt about it. Best you can do is figure out what you need your new vehicle to do, then figure out what will accomplish those needs, and fit within the budget.

For a few years I was happy with the online process where certain groups like Costco and USAA had car buying services that worked for the customer. You could see what the dealer paid, what the invoice was, average sale price, and msrp. Between all of that information, it was not hard to work toward a "good" deal on a car by shopping around the nearby dealerships. Now, many of the systems in place are like TrueCar which is basically useless to the consumer and sells your data to local dealers for hundreds of emails, phone calls, and text messages. I kind of like the information provided by carguru regarding how long cars sit on lots and current advertised prices, but I haven't been able to turn that information into an easy purchasing experience.

Related to cars but not much related to purchasing, my daughter's high school is experimenting with offering information sessions in some classrooms for half of the lunch period. This week's info session is "How to care for and maintain your BMW". Hard to argue that rich kids don't fill the magnet school.

Yep, TrueCar is nothing more, really, than a data mining system for dealers. A rather expensive one, too. Sure, there's a pricing structure they put out there, but it's not overly different than what many dealers are willing to do anyway. CarGurus (also expensive, although if you flip out at them they're willing to bend on their fee for the dealership - you'd be shocked how much money is spent on online listings) isn't perfect, but it's not bad. One problem we've run into is that we had a couple vehicles listed as "overpriced". The issue was that the equipment and trim level we had listed hadn't come across properly, so it ranked it as a base instead of the loaded it is. And time on the lot isn't always an indicator of how willing a dealer is to shift on price. Sometimes, if it's been there long enough, it's already a loser, and the dealer can't lose too much on an aged unit. We have a few of those... one is $4000 under book value, and we STILL have people wanting us to take another thousand off... of a $914 loser. Hard pass.

Here in Charlotte, it seems like a lot of the local dealers take advantage of Adesa to move units that sit for too long. I don't really know much about it other than their lot is a block from my office and they move a TON of cars each week. If you happen to leave the office at 4:05 when the auctions start to close, you can be waiting 10+ minutes to turn onto the road for all the traffic that comes in and out of the place.

Do they use Adesa or something like it in Wisconsin?

Adesa has locations in Minneapolis and Chicago, as does Mannheim. We use them both, as buyers. Most of the time, if we're dumping something, it's because it's worth nothing really, and we send it to a more local auction. Generally we'll buy 4-10 at a time, send a team of drivers to go get them. My only gripe with those buys is that sometimes we don't get the title right away. Have to have that to actually transfer the car. So, we can show it, we can sell it, we just can't do the paperwork and let it leave until we have title in hand. Had one of those take 6 weeks once. I about lost my mind.

So how long until we can start trashing Star Wars
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

You're about 4 years late
    I don't know, fly casual

I just don't understand the writing, it's like nobody was in charge of maintaining a consistent narrative arc through the last trilogy.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

We can blame Iger for wanting to rush out VII which just resulted in A New Hope ver. 1.5. Then in the production side as the franchise moved forwards Josh Trank got fired from what was supposed to be a standalone Boba Fett movie (though that's understandable), Gareth Edwards was sidelined for Tony Gilroy to come in and re-write and re-shoot most of Rogue One, Lord and Miller were sacked from Solo which pretty much doubled it's production cost, Trevorrow was fired from IX cause he apparently didn't like what Rian did in VIII, and most recently GoT's Benioff and Weiss skedaddled to Netflix.

So it seems like they've been scrambling all over the place just get movies out, let alone put any effort into making them into a coherent story. It's made me appreciate the expanded universe a lot more; time to dig out all my old books and re-read everything again.
    I don't know, fly casual