Page 393 of 418 FirstFirst ... 293343383391392393394395403 ... LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,930 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

i mean honestly, charging time is not that big of a deal even now. on the super charger, my friends model 3 charges in like 20-25 mins. try making a gas and pee break with a couple kids faster than that ....

ok yo probably could, but only by a few minutes. it really is amazing how fast they have the charge time down to.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    I agree it?s definitely on the way and showing promise. I?ll be looking at the model 3 when my ATS lease is up... but I hear the TourX I was looking at is getting crazy discounts so that?s probably best option at the moment.

I can say with tremendous certainty that EV's, and even conventional hybrids, are not going to be embraced by all of the American public any time soon. I can see an adjustment happening in bigger cities. That's a different market than the 10000-20000 population small towns that are all over the nation. Some of it's based on infrastructure. There are zero charge stations in the city I live in. I sell very few hybrids of any sort here. One town over, I can find homes for those cars. College town. Even there, though, there's only a handful of charging station locations.

We even tried to get the local police department to make the switch to the hybrid Explorer police vehicle. Part of it was the gas savings, especially given how much police cars idle. Part of it was that they'd actually get a little more power than a standard engine. The pitch did not go well.

Insider
    Serious question: why didn't they like it?
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    I can say with tremendous certainty that EV's, and even conventional hybrids, are not going to be embraced by all of the American public any time soon. I can see an adjustment happening in bigger cities. That's a different market than the 10000-20000 population small towns that are all over the nation. Some of it's based on infrastructure. There are zero charge stations in the city I live in. I sell very few hybrids of any sort here. One town over, I can find homes for those cars. College town. Even there, though, there's only a handful of charging station locations.

We even tried to get the local police department to make the switch to the hybrid Explorer police vehicle. Part of it was the gas savings, especially given how much police cars idle. Part of it was that they'd actually get a little more power than a standard engine. The pitch did not go well.
    it doesn't matter what they like. its over.

it was really funny my friend with his performance pack model 3 was at the big local drag racing event. and there were folks instagraming and FBing and even stating to there face, that drag racing is over because they are there. it ran an 11.7 with a 2.7 second roll out, all day, every run, without hesitation, and without drama. they go so bored watching everyone blow up on the start line. there were only a couple of cars there that could beat them, and they were insane builds, unreliable and not street able in any way.

i mean drag racing is dumb, but even drag racers know the writing is the on the wall.

no matter how conservative, no matter how much folks dont like it, the electric car is coming for them. get on board or its over.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I think endurance racing is a better proving ground for EVs than drag racing. If someone started an EV endurance series (which might already exist) that allowed for "hot swappable" batteries, I think that would go a long way to improving EV technology for personal use.

Quote Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
    I think endurance racing is a better proving ground for EVs than drag racing. If someone started an EV endurance series (which might already exist) that allowed for "hot swappable" batteries, I think that would go a long way to improving EV technology for personal use.
    if you dont think cop departments care about cost savings due to using hybrids, suggesting endurance racing as a way to prove it to em is not really understanding the problem. yeah, lets tell em how hybrids have won le mans (in france) for the last 5 years, that will prove it to em. yeah thats not a thing. yawn. don't care.

My comment was not related to the cops thing.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    it doesn't matter what they like. its over.
    Statements like this that will only encourage the Cult of V8 to become a real thing, knowing Valhalla is waiting for them all shiny and chrome...
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

1st, its not the police but governments that purchase vehicles. A lot of times, the purchaser has no clue as to why a vehicle needs this feature.
    2nd, reliability of an EV is not the issue, but capabilities. Large metropolitan areas there isn't that big of a deal, but county, regional and state vehicles where you have large areas, where you may not be able to get to a changing area when the battery dies. It is far easier to bring a gas can to get them on their way, from either other law enforcement or even civilian help.
    3rd the shear amount of power usage in a police vehicle is not conducive towards EV. Even something as simple as a traffic light out, that police cruiser is sitting with lights on for hours. It is not the quick dash or sprints ,its the long term usage. Warning lights, radios, computers and the vehicle, that is a huge drain on power. Can an EV battery pack actually handle that much and still be able to punch it when needed?
    4th it takes law enforcement decades to convert to new tech. Look at how bad police didn't give up revolvers, or even certain makes of vehicles. Police stick to what they know.
    5th how are high speed handling characteristics of EVs? I do not know, and i am not talking about race prepped models, but the typical miles long, full throttle hammering. Police are horrible drivers, which all things considered, they have to much to really deal with. Then add in a heavy EV and you have potential wrecks by the people who are supposed to represent law & order.
    6th till the major manufacturers actually offer an as equally capable EV with the police package, we may never know. Police might actually want an EV for certain areas, but till Ford, Chevy, Dodge make one, they won't get one.