Page 242 of 418 FirstFirst ... 142192232240241242243244252292342 ... LastLast
Results 2,411 to 2,420 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

I'd call the Axe an air/ram/pressure driven poppet. It's pretty much this thing in a configuration that would take a N.O. input as "off".

I do like distinguishing between the Ram operated poppets (timmy et. al) from the pressure operated poppets (Axe, MQ).
    Last edited by PBSteve; 10-05-2017 at 01:39 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

I wholly agree, Steve. On the axe and MQ, I find the flow controlled bits the most interesting. So, I'd opt for a "flow biased poppet" designation. A more pure "direct acting poppet" is the nova. Now poverty and famine have been solved.

edit: To be clear, the "" names are just USP designations for marketing, but are semantically correct.
    Last edited by ironyusa; 10-05-2017 at 02:01 PM.

Insider
    The next valve I do is going to be "Forward Motion Latching."
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

the problem with arguing that the seal geometry, not the action of the valve is its defining characteristic, is that with one MINOR design change, you can make every poppet a spool, and every spool a poppet. just a 90 degree corner and a face seal, or a 90 degree corner and an oring. boom, a timmy is now a spool, and a DM is now a poppet.

and meaningless words, should not be used as defining descriptors.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    the problem with arguing that the seal geometry, not the action of the valve is its defining characteristic, is that with one MINOR design change, you can make every poppet a spool, and every spool a poppet. just a 90 degree corner and a face seal, or a 90 degree corner and an oring.

and meaningless words, should be used as defining descriptors.
    But ... I don't think you can. Try to do it to an Ion, the gun fires long before the bolt seals the breech. Are there counter-examples?

Edit: just realized that's the case on the Axe. I think switching the axe from a poppet to a spool would in fact considerably change the shot quality of the marker, to more of a "wet fart".

God I love that.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 10-05-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    But ... I don't think you can. Try to do it to an Ion, the gun fires long before the bolt seals the breech. Are there counter-examples?

Edit: just realized that's the case on the Axe. I think switching the axe from a poppet to a spool would in fact considerably change the shot quality of the marker, to more of a "wet fart".

God I love that.
    if you redesign the spike, it should work. use the bolt as the hammer, and have it push open the cupseal.

the point is that if a term doesn't really tell you anything useful about the function of the gun, and its characteristics ... then it shouldn't be used as a descriptive term. weather the seal being made is radial or normal, isn't, actually, that useful of a description.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

the point is that if a term doesn't really tell you anything useful about the function of the gun, and its characteristics ... then it shouldn't be used as a descriptive term. weather the seal being made is radial or normal, isn't, actually, that useful of a description.
    I never argued that it was useful to describe the gun as a whole, but it does describe the characteristics of THE FIRING VALVE. Use all the marketing terms you want to describe the gun as a whole.

And, if you use the bolt as a hammer to push open a cup seal it's no longer an ion nor a spool.

if you redesign the spike, it should work. use the bolt as the hammer, and have it push open the cupseal.
    That's getting into a pretty substantial redesign, you'll probably have to add a few parts and some threads, maybe the face seal itself has to be an additional seal. You could probably sell that as a thing. I suspect it would feel considerably different than a standard Ion, and it probably gets a bit better efficiency, too.

I think it tells you something, but yeah that seems like a valid criticism. It's what the market has adopted though.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    I never argued that it was useful to describe the gun as a whole, but it does describe the characteristics of THE FIRING VALVE. Use all the marketing terms you want to describe the gun as a whole.

And, if you use the bolt as a hammer to push open a cup seal it's no longer an ion nor a spool.
    it doesn't actually, as we see with stuff like the morph valve.

it doesn't actually, as we see with stuff like the morph valve.
    That's a pretty difficult comparison to make, since there are several things wrong with that valve (that I'd rather not go into), but it does probably have higher valving losses than it would if it were a face seal.

Turns out if you design anything like shit it's going to act like it.