Page 297 of 418 FirstFirst ... 197247287295296297298299307347397 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,970 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    The further you get from a toroid the more effort you have to make to keep the shape. Low profile tires require less cheap rubber and more expensive reinforcing materials.
    I am friends with a guy that runs a tire shop and worked with him. Not to sound conceited, but i do know all about the size, the ratio and expense of tires. Odd ball sizes is nothing new, try looking for a tire that you want for a 16.5 rim.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    The further you get from a toroid the more effort you have to make to keep the shape. Low profile tires require less cheap rubber and more expensive reinforcing materials.
    That's an interesting tidbit. Good to know.

As for speedo changes, I've read (from entirely baseless forum posts by car bros) that OEM speedos have a tolerance of a few percent in either direction. Can anyone confirm?

Insider
    Definitely true (in the indication mechanism itself)

Insider
    My Gti?s speedo was almost a recall because it?s % off was so high. At indicated 70 it was barely 65.

I second getting a set of steelies with winter tires.

I have to correct myself, as I thought about it. The new EcoSport also uses a 4-lug wheel. Not surprising, since it's a Fiesta platform vehicle. And I think we're going to do well with them, they're really a lot of car for the price.

jesus, the miata needs some aftercare.

i designed a more "open" course for ice fun yesterday. you know, because it was a while since we had that. and by open i mean i was flat footed through half the course in 3rd gear, easily drifting at 75+ mph .... jesus it was legitimately scary. we turned it into a slightly decreasing radius turn, and so the fastest technique through it was a lift, to increase the slide, and then use the slide to scrub the speed, and make the corner .... at 75 mph. jesus.

anyway, eventually ripped a stud out of my right rear (the loaded corner), and killed the wheel bearing back there. thats 4 wheel bearings i've toasted since going to studs. the first tire i destroyed though.

jesus. good thing they are cheap and take like 15 minutes to swap out.

oh and the ride was so bumpy (it always in the miata), that the passenger window fell out of its track, so obviously we duct taped it back up, and i went out again. because 500 dollar car things.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 02-12-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I am now tempted to make a "Miata Kart" partly because that way I may be able to rip out enough interior to fit comfortably...

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Definitely true (in the indication mechanism itself)
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I am now tempted to make a "Miata Kart" partly because that way I may be able to rip out enough interior to fit comfortably...
    Exomotive in Atlanta makes a tube-frame chassis you can stick on a Miata rollerskate. I'm gonna try to put one together once I have space in my garage for it.

Insider
    Exomotive in Atlanta makes a tube-frame chassis you can stick on a Miata rollerskate.
    I know Richard Tomlin from Apex Motors, who build the Apexocet, an LS powered Exocet. We keep talking about coming up here for a run on the Dragon with it. It is totally bonkers.

"The first Exomotive Exocet to race at Pikes Peak International Hill Climb finished the race week in style with a 4th place in Open Wheel class and a 20th overall placement for race cars with a time of 10:53:504."

The build is fast also:

Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I am a member of the "tall guys who wish they could drive a Miata club" as I am 6'5". When the Miata NC and ND came out, I was at the dealership the next day to see if I could fit. Every time they claim they have added a couple more inches to the head or legroom, and its still not enough. I have seen the websites where some tall guy rips out the seats, tears out the rail mounts and everything to mount a low profile racing bucket down on the floor. But then you lost some versatility, built in stuff like seat warmers, adjustments... and the ability to easily switch it back for my 5'4" girlfriend to drive it. I've heard it's still somewhat awkward for ergonomics... elbows getting propped up on the center console for example. Someday... I keep crossing my fingers that the next one will fit me.

My friends and I had lots of fun with Miata NA and MB's back in the late 90's and early 00's. Racing was everything... we raced karts, SCCA events of all sorts, you name it. One or two even went pro... http://loshakracing.com/ One of my roomies back in 2000-2002 was a hardcore tuner who's personal ride was a Miata NA that was a monster. Upgraded suspension, limited slip dif, wide racing slicks, roll-cage... and I could only fit in the passenger seat. First time I sat in it we had just met and he offered me a lift somewhere. I got in, and the top was down so I didn't notice anything odd at first. Then we pulled up to a stoplight and as I was talking to him I saw the A-pillar gauge cluster and thought "wait, that's not sto..." and he hammered it. All I could hear was the "whoooosh" and then a blow-off valve.

That little beastie was tuned to almost 300hp and embarrassed F360's in drag races or on the track. That was the most exciting car I've ever been in.

Wish I could fit in one first...