Page 6 of 418 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by fullofpaint View Post
    Took one of these for a test drive today:

Oh man is it fun, and enough space to haul around gear. Only one in yellow in the area though is an 8 hour drive, fully loaded too . Looks like I'm settling for a blue or silver stripper model.
    Not usually a yellow car fan, some look good in it (Corvettes) and some don't, but that looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i have figured out a way to win two trophies, in two different cars, in two different classes, in 1 season of autocross.

should be a fun, if slightly stressful season. be nice to have the old redhead out autocrossing again too.
    I miss driving just for the fun of it. I was going to build an offroad buggy, but instead decided to satiate my appetite with a much cheaper drift trike... Not sure where I will ride it yet, but if need me I will slightly grippier tyres and run it around my drive and dirt road.

Quote Originally Posted by fullofpaint View Post
    Ha, I know that story. My wrangler is the same way, she'll throw error codes for a week then when I go to code it, no errors. I will be both happy and very sad to see it go
    My "salt water flood insurance write off" is actually going very well all things considering. Had a code for minor evap leak thrown a couple of times (quick clear and doesn't come back for 6 months) and had two codes for non communication with the shifter in the early rebuild days but cleared those, and they haven't been back (touch wood) in 6+ months.

I love the thing, although my wife who said she would never drive, steals it away so I don't get to drive it as much as I would like

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring View Post
    Would like to see a picture of the completed workshop when you're done.
    You might have to wait a few years for it to be "completed", it is a non stop work in progress, but every step gets us closer to the goal!

Quote Originally Posted by skibbo View Post
    I wish I could afford nice things.
    Me too, but until then I am probably going to be buying used again. Trying to run some numbers now to see if we can afford it. One day this endeavour may turn a profit but until then every penny we make gets ploughed back into the business. I wonder how many years the tax man will allow me to make a loss before they get upset?

Quote Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
    Moving the heater bands did exactly what I was hoping. The problem is that the barrel does not have an anti-drool nozzle. Will be changing that today. So close, been a long time coming for this one.
    Awesome. Can't wait to see the first parts!

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    Astonmartin.com

Aston unveils new DB10 designed specifically for the new Bond movie.
    I like it. But then it looks like all the other Aston's for the last 10 (20?) years. They certainly aren't trying anything new are they?

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Goofy Lightsaber aside I'm pretty stoked for the new Star Wars movie. Abram's style was a little off for Star Trek but it's right on for Star Wars, IMO.
    I'm excited but worried that even if they do a fantastic job that it will never reach the (overly) high expectations of the fan base. They have almost set the bar too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring View Post
    New Terminator movie:

It's scary how similar Amelia and Linda sound as Sarah Connor.

Looks better than I thought it would...

Quote Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post
    I think JJ did a great job with star trek

I have watched interviews where he talks about star wars and he clearly has a passion for it. So I am pretty hopeful that the new star wars will be good.
    Fingers crossed!

JJ's Treks aren't as big a departure as some people make them out to be, especially because a lot of the most vocal haters I've encountered usually compare them to the feel of the series like Next Generation. When you look at them vs the other movies, I feel like they're not that far off, just with updated visuals and a faster pace.

As it must be clear to everyone, I am a massive Star Wars fan. Knowing JJ truly cares about Star Wars as a fan, and how he's been approaching things has me excited beyond reason.

The lightsaber is intriguing. I'm not a fan of the "crossguard," but it doesn't bother me enough to get annoyed. No basis on anything credible, but the two main explanations for it I've seen are than it's either exhaust ports for an unstable lightsaber made by an unskilled person, or it's an ancient relic that has been found.
    Last edited by AndrewTheWookie; 12-04-2014 at 06:57 PM.
    I don't know, fly casual

Yeah, but "Nemesis" sucked hard.

Busy day.

I now have drop cams watching my CNC Lathe and CNC Mill so I can make sure they are running whilst being in the office/house/away.

I may need to make a closer bracket but on the lathe I can check the chip drum isn't full. Watch that the machine is running, and I can see that the coolant level is OK on the controller. I can't quite see the part count as it is smaller on the lathe display. I may need to find a solution for that (so I can tell exactly how long I have before needing to go to the machine) or move the camera closer on a bracket or stand or something. I just don't want it to get in my way when at the machine. I need something like one of those spring loaded arms or camera mount ball and socket systems but with about a 30" of reach.

On the mill I can watch the parts running and see the cycle time clearly enough (as long as I set it to the right screen) to know when I need to go down from the office or go out from the house. I should be more productive and more easily able to do other things I need to without having to keep checking and verifying the machines are running as planned

I did toy with the idea of making it open so anyone could log in and watch, but I decided against that. Might have been interesting for some though.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I did toy with the idea of making it open so anyone could log in and watch, but I decided against that. Might have been interesting for some though.
    He doesn't want us watching him drink beer while his staff of Oompa Loompas do all the work.

Now you just have to automate the chip drum emptying so you can .... SET IT AND FORGET IT
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Busy day.

I now have drop cams watching my CNC Lathe and CNC Mill so I can make sure they are running whilst being in the office/house/away.

I may need to make a closer bracket but on the lathe I can check the chip drum isn't full. Watch that the machine is running, and I can see that the coolant level is OK on the controller. I can't quite see the part count as it is smaller on the lathe display. I may need to find a solution for that (so I can tell exactly how long I have before needing to go to the machine) or move the camera closer on a bracket or stand or something. I just don't want it to get in my way when at the machine. I need something like one of those spring loaded arms or camera mount ball and socket systems but with about a 30" of reach.

On the mill I can watch the parts running and see the cycle time clearly enough (as long as I set it to the right screen) to know when I need to go down from the office or go out from the house. I should be more productive and more easily able to do other things I need to without having to keep checking and verifying the machines are running as planned

Very cool. I'd tune in a time or two. Maybe you could have a link somewhere on here, like Carter did for a little while on his chicken pen.

Who has to work this weekend? We are working 7 days to try and get far enough ahead to have 5 days off at christmas. If not we will most likely have to work sat. and sun. after christmas.

Oh man I'd love to have some time off at Christmas. It's our busiest season, I'm at work today boxing orders for one of the local supermarket chains, then tommorow I've got about 100 boxes I have to fill and pack for our mail order customers. Next week we're up to 200 orders a day. Woo-hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Now you just have to automate the chip drum emptying so you can .... SET IT AND FORGET IT
    I am running Go Pro camera mounts on the lathe right now and it's crazy how much scrap I make. Something like 96% of the original stock ends up in the scrap bin... lots of chips out of a 2" diameter bar to end up with a lightweight ring of aluminium

Quote Originally Posted by Tigwldr View Post
    Who has to work this weekend? We are working 7 days to try and get far enough ahead to have 5 days off at christmas. If not we will most likely have to work sat. and sun. after christmas.
    Me.

Just finished the drywall hanging in the stair and hallway. Tidying up now.