Page 16 of 418 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: The OT thread V1

Not sure if anyone is looking for a scope, but this seems like a killer deal: http://www.tequipment.net/Rigol/DS10...scopes/?v=7401

I've seen some things on HACKADAY for that specific Rigol scope and how to squeeze out some extra features from the more expensive model. It seems like a very popular unit for the hobby lab.

I'm told that the sampling rate can be upped to 100 MHz (along with some other features) through a software tweak.

There must be a reason it doesn't come that way stock, it's hard to believe they used hardware that can do it and then kneecapped one of the most important specs with shoddy software.

I'd be surprised if it didn't get pretty noisy or suffer from crosstalk or something like that.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

PBSteve: I have been seeing that sort of thing in products during the last 5 years. Nonsensical, but it happens. I am not familiar with this particular item though, so in this case there may be an issue. Just saying it does occur.

Yeah, I know. But the thing is pushing the hardware (well) is a goliath task compared to pushing the software. Once you hit 100 MHz you're flirting with significant RF issues.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

In a general sense, I've seen companies develop one hardware platform, then set it up with different levels of software to create a selection at different prices. One specific example I remember from quite a few years ago when standalone GPS devices were getting popular, you could buy the cheapest model and unlock it to the capabilities of the most expensive one with a few cracks.
    I don't know, fly casual

When in doubt, just use C4 indeed.

It's a pretty common practice in the CPU industry - or was for years at least. Manufacture the higher end chips assuming you will have x% yield that will fail at its intended speed, but be 100% stable at a derated speed and sell those as a lower end product. Sometimes the demand for the lower speed chip is high enough and the yield good enough that they cripple (often reversibly) perfectly good chips to operate at a lower speed just to fill a market segment.

But like Steve said - just because it CAN operate at the higher performance rating doesn't mean it will do so stably for as long as you would hope.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    When in doubt, just use C4 indeed.
    Just remember that E = P squared, where P = plenty and E = enough :-)
    Destroyer of Threads