Page 100 of 418 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
    POC being people of color? Not that I'm aware of. I don't think a club at my school is allowed to explicitly restrict membership based on race. There's certainly some underlying racism in some groups, mainly fraternities, but nothing official "reverse-racism" type stuff.

I'm surprised that something like that exists at your school. Is racism/under-represented ethnic groups a big issue there?
    Being a cis-white male, it's really hard for me to comment.

That said, I do not believe there's any inherent racism in anything (other than their membership... check it out here - side note, their current constitution is way less racist than their last one, here) on campus. I'd say that in engineering there's a frustration towards international students (international usually means Asian) who often do the bare minimum in group projects and are next to impossible to communicate with, but there's no outlying hatred or disassociation or anything - people often try to group with their friends is all.

All self-*identified, people of colour can become a member of the SOCC.
    Fucking what? That reminds me: my school is introducing an SJW minor. I hate all this politically correct, social justice garbage.

I don't see the same thing with foreign kids (mostly Chinese and Indian) in my school, other than the communication issues. But it's also super difficult for international kids to get into my school and my major in particular (aerospace engineering) so most of them seem to actually want to learn. But they're also probably Communists here to steal military knowledge.

Ion, out of curiosity what's the proportion of POC students in your engineering department vs the rest of campus?

But they're also probably Communists here to steal military knowledge.
    Probably not, anything you can get in undergrad can just as easily be gotten on Amazon.

Fucking what? That reminds me: my school is introducing an SJW minor. I hate all this politically correct, social justice garbage.

I don't see the same thing with foreign kids (mostly Chinese and Indian) in my school, other than the communication issues. But it's also super difficult for international kids to get into my school and my major in particular (aerospace engineering) so most of them seem to actually want to learn. But they're also probably Communists here to steal military knowledge.
    Ya, it's a bit unbelievable. The 'safe space' culture and worries about offending anyone is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Ion, out of curiosity what's the proportion of POC students in your engineering department vs the rest of campus?
    I asked a bunch of friends, and among undergrads, grouping all visible minorities, we're probably pretty proportionate. Graduate studies in engineering is almost dominated by international students, and I would say it's similar outside of engineering, if not engineering has more international students.

I hope that I've explained myself correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Probably not, anything you can get in undergrad can just as easily be gotten on Amazon.
    You mean to tell me the North Koreans won't pay me to defect even with a bachelor's degree? I even have Boeing 7-series flight manuals in pdf form downloaded off the Internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    Ya, it's a bit unbelievable. The 'safe space' culture and worries about offending anyone is amazing.
    My school now has some rooms designated as literal "safe spaces." And RA's have social justice training sessions.
    Last edited by tyronejk; 11-23-2015 at 04:00 PM.

I find it amazing that the term "Safe space" turned from "I can voice opinions here without being hated" into "I want an echo chamber"

left wing anti-intellectualism is possibly even more dangerous than right wing anti-intellectualism.

seen a similar trend in the atheist and feminist communities.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

In the sense that rightism leans towards smaller government (and therefore less ability to enforce anti-intellectualism) while leftism typically involves bigger more powerful governments, yes. That's quite a generalisation though.

I just don't get this idea that it's suddenly become a human right not to be offended. Frankly I find that offensive.
    https://www.instagram.com/vijil/
    I draw guns and spaceships and bunnies

Quote Originally Posted by vijil View Post
    In the sense that rightism leans towards smaller government (and therefore less ability to enforce anti-intellectualism) while leftism typically involves bigger more powerful governments, yes. That's quite a generalisation though.

I just don't get this idea that it's suddenly become a human right not to be offended. Frankly I find that offensive.
    no, the danger is that left wing anti-intellectualism effects the next generation of .... intellectuals. it has far worse, and far longer term dangers than the simple measures taken by right wing anti-intellectuals, which tend to die out quickly because they don't work and/or are based in a world other than the one that actually exists.

of course, iraq still happened, and we do have to deal with that today (ISIS) so, maybe you are right. maybe right wing anti-intellectualism is just as dangerous.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 11-23-2015 at 06:34 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.