Page 127 of 418 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177227 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    wow, ford i guess makes engines with the without a keyway or some reference holder for the cam to the cam gear/pulley.

thats a really bad design.
    Just because you can change something, doesn't mean you should. Engine manufacturers don't necessarily want you messing with their stuff. This isn't the 60s through the 90s, where engine design only added fuel injection instead of a carb.

Most likely, the person missed it, cause they didn't know what to look for. This happens a lot with backyard mechanics versus ASE certifieds that had appropriate training/schooling...

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    wow, ford i guess makes engines with the without a keyway or some reference holder for the cam to the cam gear/pulley.

thats a really bad design.
    Just because you can change something, doesn't mean you should. Engine manufacturers don't necessarily want you messing with their stuff. This isn't the 60s through the 90s, where engine design only added fuel injection instead of a carb.

Most likely, the person missed it, cause they didn't know what to look for. This happens a lot with backyard mechanics versus ASE certifieds that had appropriate training/schooling...

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post

nope, the factory service manual requires that with each timing belt change, you also phase the cams. so you have to loosen them and reset them.

i was doing a roll bar install at the time, so i didn't see how well adam set his timing, he was using a bar and slot on the back of the cams. but if you google SVT focus timing belt, its a super common problem because of a bad design. why you would #1 have your cams not keyed, and #2 design a system that requires you rephase your cams with each timing belt change, i do not know.

so he will be back next weekend to re-do it.

hopefully finishing the roll bar install today, never drop a gas tank from a mid engine car, with it full of gas. BAD PLAN.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    My brother did that exact job with the factory tools correctly the first time with no manual, you just use the bar to load up the vct.

Voted bad mechanic, fine design

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    My brother did that exact job with the factory tools correctly the first time with no manual, you just use the bar to load up the vct.

Voted bad mechanic, fine design
    im not defending adam's mechanic skills. as i said, im not sure what he was doing exactly, i was installing a roll bar. which it turns out is a bitch to do an mr2.

but i cannot think of a good reason why you would ever not key your cams. and further, why you would have to adjust them with each timing belt change.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    I think it's just the desire to retrofit a vvt system to the zetec engine. They also became interference engines when they raised the compression ratio.

the shit show that is IMSA continues: http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story...orghini-022216

I don't know, fly casual

Kinda cool to watch cause they set it up like a rally stage, from WRC(World Rally Cars).

if Haas F1 is a mid pack team on there first year on the grid, man that would be a HUGE win IMO:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122933