Page 134 of 418 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184234 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

I work on cars a lot... have air tools (just ordered a new compressor), breakers, gear wrenches, specialty tools and most things between. I hate working on an old car with seized bolts and having a hernia to bust a bolt loose. I know the tricks, but having the tools cuts down on my cuss/hr. Spending the money there is worth it since paying someone to do the job usually more than covers the tools and materials. Obviously there are exceptions and some things I just don't enjoy such as rebuilding transmissions.

so then i bought another 944 turbo ....
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    love that.

yeah, so now im in the parting out business. ended up with a "small engine fire" 944 turbo ... for parts. got it for 250 bucks .... gonna make a fortune.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    Parting out the M3 was highly successful, but a huge timesink.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

im parting it with a friend of mine who parts miatas regularly. they have a pretty excellent setup for the whole thing, you just do it methodically. weekend + beer to part the whole thing up, couple of evenings to take pictures of everything, box it up and decide how you are going to charge it. then post it all, everywhere you can think of, and ship when money arrives.

and then you use a pretty large spreadsheet to track all costs associated with shipping, packaging, PP fees etc .... its actually pretty simple if you just do it methodically.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 04-13-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    the problem with force multiplier is they take even longer.

so unless you actually fundamentally need the torque, they are actually more of a hassle then they are worth. if you can move them without, it goes much quicker.

you'd know this if you worked on cars at all.
    You see, i do.

My 97 F150, did a driveline swap cause the 4.2 V6 developed an internal oil leak. So me and my friend who is a SAE mechanical, pulled the 4.2 V6 automatic to a 4.6 V8 stick box. Not to mention doing a solid axle swap on a 98 Chevy 1500, putting together a 81 Jeep Wrangler with a Chevy 350, and countless other projects and fixes. Again, you assumed. Busted many a knuckle in my life. But i know that air wins, sometimes a force multiplier is better overall and Gordo always thinks he knows everything and everybody.

So there you go.

Done this before? Nope. Just been on the internet. LMAO. 11min 15sec

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    You see, i do.

My 97 F150, did a driveline swap cause the 4.2 V6 developed an internal oil leak. So me and my friend who is a SAE mechanical, pulled the 4.2 V6 automatic to a 4.6 V8 stick box. Not to mention doing a solid axle swap on a 98 Chevy 1500, putting together a 81 Jeep Wrangler with a Chevy 350, and countless other projects and fixes. Again, you assumed. Busted many a knuckle in my life. But i know that air wins, sometimes a force multiplier is better overall and Gordo always thinks he knows everything and everybody.

So there you go.
    not 3 pages back you literally stated that you only trust AST certified mechanics to work on your cars, not doing things yourself.

so .....

Just poking fun. Waaaaaaaay back in the day, I spent a lot of time at the local hobby store playing various games. Car Wars was one of them, and in one of the Uncle Al's equipment guides (Catalog From Hell), an item that was buyable (but of questionable legality and an absolute no-no in tournament play) was a Rules Lawyer. Always good fun to be had in the old games.