Page 149 of 418 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

our computer system at work requires 14 characters.

i simply added two of my other passwords into one.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I think new ions point is that it's significantly easier to break if you know exactly how many characters going in.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I think new ions point is that it's significantly easier to break if you know exactly how many characters going in.
    That's what I understood too. I forget where/what it was, but there was this funny YouTube video about how much easier it is to brute force a password with so many requirements. Maybe it was an xkcd comic.

xkcd's famous thing is trying to get people away from using passwords that they have a hard time remembering and instead taking multiple random words and stuffing them together, ie correcthorsebatterystaple. For some reason I always remember that one.

Anyways, feeling pretty shitty right now. I thought that I would be able to get a position with a Detroit automaker based on being recommended by a representative that met me at Formula Hybrid... apparently I didn't get the job. I really, really wanted this position... the work would have been amazing and interesting. I felt pretty good about the interview, maybe a couple small mistakes but nothing crazy.

Feels bad, man. It's 630am and I'm already done with today.

I'm assuming you mean ford? If so, I worked with their former VP of product development and one of the engineering managers over the chassis division and they were both incompetent douche nozzles. I would pass on them. I've also worked with a high level program manager formerly of Chrysler as well and she was equally as horrendous. I would suggest that unless you want a horrible work environment to maybe consider getting into specialty vehicles instead. The companies typically run much more passively and are more enjoyable.

New Ion: Language mistakes when typing are common, maybe they meant to say "at least" 8 characters. Ask the admin. Also, really a Detroit car company? You built a hybrid vehicle, you are way better than that.

Davros: It actually only worked with exactly 8 characters. I initially read it as "At least" and it failed, constantly. The company is currently working on some really cool technologies that I want to be a part of, and I believe the work/home life balance would be much better with them than it would with, say Tesla. I know many people that have worked with Tesla and said they regularly put in like 60hr work weeks, with many people exceeding that. Sorry, but I want a life outside of work as well.

Irony: It's actually GM. The people that I spoke with were extremely nice, the person that I've been in contact with has explained any questions or anything to me, I thought it would happen and I really wanted it to. I'm going to follow up with my contact and ask if they have any feedback for me. I was invited for a tour of the facility before, I want to see if that's still possible. The work was exactly what I want to be doing, as well. It is with the automated driving controls team, and since I have experience with computer vision and am very interested in controls, I figured I would be a good candidate. I will be following up with my contact.

The Ford rep at comp wasn't nearly as open or communicative as either GM or FCA, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    Davros: It actually only worked with exactly 8 characters. I initially read it as "At least" and it failed, constantly. The company is currently working on some really cool technologies that I want to be a part of, and I believe the work/home life balance would be much better with them than it would with, say Tesla. I know many people that have worked with Tesla and said they regularly put in like 60hr work weeks, with many people exceeding that. Sorry, but I want a life outside of work as well.
    Apparently SpaceX is the same way. I've heard most people work there for a maximum of 2 years before they burn out and leave. Musk have something to do with their CEO.

lol, typo or intended?

intended lol