Page 190 of 418 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200240290 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,900 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Speaking of cars, Airbus Inc have announced they'll be testing prototype urban flying cars by the end of the year.

About. freaking. time.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    its a shame really. the solstice/sky was such a good car too.
    My friend's dad had one of those, afaik he never did get it to stop leaking when he took it through the carwash. Or drove it in light rain.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

I thought the Sky was going to be a big hit. Shame that they closed down Saturn and Pontiac, but somehow kept Buick and Cadillac.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    My friend's dad had one of those, afaik he never did get it to stop leaking when he took it through the carwash. Or drove it in light rain.
    thats convertible life for you.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by vijil View Post
    Speaking of cars, Airbus Inc have announced they'll be testing prototype urban flying cars by the end of the year.

About. freaking. time.
    Flying cars exist already, they're called helicopters.

I don't understand the hype for 'flying cars'. Still going to need some kind of pilots license. Still have another dimension to kill yourself in. Still going to be ungodly expensive.

TBH, I'd love a hardtop convertible. Or, instead just a nice sunroof.

coupe no sunroof for any performance car.

convertible for pleasure cruising.

the longer i go in life, the more i get cars i hated before, like the Eos. on the street, thats all i want, just a pleasant driving top down for nice weather car. ex-GF had one for a loaner once, and i was incessantly mocking it. but then we drove in it, and i was like, this is fantastic. pleasant to drive to a fault.

but on my corvette? no sir, i do not want to buy your pathetic targa top "coupe" i want the full fucking metal, fixed, stiff roof thank you very much. this is leading reasons why i am unhappy with c6s .... no FRC. also c5 FRC are hard to find.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    Flying cars exist already, they're called helicopters.

I don't understand the hype for 'flying cars'. Still going to need some kind of pilots license. Still have another dimension to kill yourself in. Still going to be ungodly expensive.

Even base level helicopters cost around 3 million dollars to purchase. You can get a Cirrus or other budget plane for only 750k. Flying is fun, and isn't that much harder than driving. Landing - on the other hand - is an extra dimension of challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    The sunroof on my parent's Forester is comically large, and you don't have to give up the structural integrity to such a large degree.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    the longer i go in life, the more i get cars i hated before, like the Eos. on the street, thats all i want, just a pleasant driving top down for nice weather car. ex-GF had one for a loaner once, and i was incessantly mocking it. but then we drove in it, and i was like, this is fantastic. pleasant to drive to a fault.
    Ended up with a mustang convertible for a rental in Florida once. Took all of 5 seconds to see the appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfated33 View Post
    Even base level helicopters cost around 3 million dollars to purchase. You can get a Cirrus or other budget plane for only 750k. Flying is fun, and isn't that much harder than driving. Landing - on the other hand - is an extra dimension of challenge.
    You can get a light sport aircraft for $100k, that's a hell of a lot cheaper than whatever airbus is going to build.
    http://www.controller.com/listings/a...acturer/tecnam
    Last edited by PBSteve; 01-18-2017 at 02:41 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Man, helicopter prices seem even more ridiculous in light of that. Though the Cirrus can hold 6 or so, and it looks like the Tecnam is a 2 passenger plane. When I was ferried in an EC130 helicopter, I think the passenger complement was 7. That's a pretty hefty price difference for 1 extra seat. Not to mention that flying a helicopter is hard, while flying a plane is comparatively easier (or I just have a TON more experience flying a plane).

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    The sunroof on my parent's Forester is comically large, and you don't have to give up the structural integrity to such a large degree.

Ended up with a mustang convertible for a rental in Florida once. Took all of 5 seconds to see the appeal.

You can get a light sport aircraft for $100k, that's a hell of a lot cheaper than whatever airbus is going to build.
    http://www.controller.com/listings/a...acturer/tecnam
    yeah but you drive a mustang to have a fast car.

ergo, it should have a fixed roof.