Page 229 of 418 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239279329 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Nice ion, it's way harder than skiing to get up - I haven't tried in a long time (40 pounds ago) but I couldn't ever do it.
    It's actually not so bad if you have a boat with enough giddyup. One of my buddies back in high school had a Supra launch something or other, it was a ton of fun.

I think Ion is talking about jumping the wake.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Google fiber is pivoting to wireless as well.

Nice ion, it's way harder than skiing to get up - I haven't tried in a long time (40 pounds ago) but I couldn't ever do it.
    TBH, I can't really comment on if it's more difficult than skiing to get up, as I learned to waterski at the age of ~8. Wakeboarding started soon after, but I wasn't ever very good at it... ie not much jumping etc. I mostly stuck to skiing (moving to slalom at ~12-13)

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    It's actually not so bad if you have a boat with enough giddyup. One of my buddies back in high school had a Supra launch something or other, it was a ton of fun.

I think Ion is talking about jumping the wake.
    Yes, I was talking about jumping the wake, sorry for any confusion.

And ya, I grew up with a boat that had quite a bit of power, and then even more power. Me getting up behind a boat that doesn't have much power includes lots of drowning and not much fun.

Actually reminds me, last year I was (attempting to) skiing behind the same boat as yesterday. Had my gf, her sister, brother in law (both larger people...), two small kids (~5/7) and the driver in the boat. Trying to get up on a ski was the worst, and much drowning & sore arms were involved and I didn't get very far. Dropped the sister & brother in law (~500 lbs?) and all of a sudden I'm up instantly.

Gordon, looked cool. Have to ask though, are you racing in a NA only class? The Toronto Indy a month or so ago included a Miata only race but it was ND's.

Yeah, the Supra had a V8 (maybe even turbo?) and more than enough punch. Most of those boats even have ballast to weigh the boat down intentionally, for the sake of throwing a bigger wake - and the engine is sized to account for it. Damn thing would go through nearly an entire tank (40 gallons) in ~4 hours.

A tower helps tremendously as well, it's amazing what a couple degrees upward can do for you while trying to get up.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post

Gordon, looked cool. Have to ask though, are you racing in a NA only class? The Toronto Indy a month or so ago included a Miata only race but it was ND's.
    ND only class is the MX5 cup.

spec miata is for NA and NBs.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Yeah, the Supra had a V8 (maybe even turbo?) and more than enough punch. Most of those boats even have ballast to weigh the boat down intentionally, for the sake of throwing a bigger wake - and the engine is sized to account for it. Damn thing would go through nearly an entire tank (40 gallons) in ~4 hours.

A tower helps tremendously as well, it's amazing what a couple degrees upward can do for you while trying to get up.
    Unfortunately I've only ever skied behind a proper ski boat once. Had no ballast and slalom with a tower is hilarious. Up instantly... turning is weird tho.

Never boarded behind a proper ski boat with ballast or a tower... would be a fantastic experience for sure. Not sure I'm good enough for the kind of air that they give but I'm more than willing to at least try

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    ND only class is the MX5 cup.

spec miata is for NA and NBs.
    Ah, that makes more sense. It was definitely MX5 cup.

On a side note, pretty stoked that I finally was able to 3D print a part of my gf's xmas gift (catan board) without any curling... My printer's bed is warped and it really doesn't help. Brim helped, but the brim curled. Luckily not enough to damage the piece. But weird that it curled in a place that doesn't normally and the normal place was fine. *shrug*

the logistics of full racing, solo, are pretty wild. autocross and HPDE is simple, numbers, helmet, car, tire pressure gauge. and you can survive without most of them, if you have friends.

racing? my list of things i need to remember is over 100.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    How's the per weekend outlay for that?
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Birmingham, UK (originally a Seattle native)
    It turns out that getting ~35MPG (and a 125 mile commute) on the daily driver just won't cut it with petrol prices getting as high as they are. It's about the equivalent of $5.50/gallon most places. With that being said... anyone ever driven a Smart Roadster? The 55mpg and the RWD appeal to me, but the tiny headlights don't.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Insider
    I had a VW Golf TDi (Mark IV) that nailed 42 US gallons per mile (53 should be about right for UK gallons) when I had a 140 mile daily commute. And I drove as fast as the cops would allow, and it was automatic. That should get you about where you want to be in UK gallons, and price. You have so many better options over there for exactly that. It was a stupid good chassis in a curve. Decent all around, and far cheaper than a Smart.

(Looks at $2.00 a gallon gas and a 120 mile commute starting up in a week.)
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

How's the per weekend outlay for that?
    depends on how fresh of tires you want.

but hotel, gas, etc included .... ~$1300. if you want fresh tires every weekend, around $1700, a set of tires can last for 2 weekends. but they are faster when they are fresher.

350 for tires, 400 entry, ~350 for a hotel, 100-200 in brakes, parts, gas etc
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 09-01-2017 at 10:44 AM.