Page 250 of 418 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250251252260300350 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,500 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I'm detecting a trend here
    Woah woah woah, Ex Machina might not be the best, but let's not compare it to the garbage fire that was Prometheus. I mean, I like bad movies, guilty pleasure, but Prometheus had plots holes and problems even I noticed lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i never said i did.

the movie is only not cut and dry in the sense that deckart, in examining what replicants are and what there lives mean, must examine himself and all life for what it is. THAT is the question, what is life, and why is life, and at what point is there a meaningful difference between created naturally and created artificially ... not if deckart is a replicant or not.

its a junior high level of movie twist to try and make the movie about if deckart is a replicant. its far more interesting of a movie to watch and learn what deckart does ... that replicants ARE people. they are, at there core, just as human as he is.
    You talk like you do understand, so what is it? You do or you don't?

And i hope you realize that as time moves on, especially in TV and movies (which there are new ideas any more, just rehashing of old, tired, replayed shows, getting a new shine- go see any remark of an original show: Dynasty, Beverly Hills 90120, any remake of an older movie or any movie about a TV show), that what was once new, original and innovative 30 years ago, is now common knowledge! Faux reality of the Blair Witch project was new, but as it caught the imagination of thd world, it got out through the spin cycle. "Bullet time" from the Matrix movies was mind blowing, yet it can be done with "30 go-pros & some editing software". So the premise of having thd main character question whether he is the same of what he is hunting, was extremely valid when thd movie was made and when the story was written. You can not look back at it, and say that it was "a junior high level of a movie twist", when soo many other mediums have taken that idea and used it.

Short example. I was watching some old "Dick Van Dyke show" from the 50s like 10 years back. Never watched it, but appreciate the actors. As i was watching an episode, i had a strange feeling that i had seen it before. Never watched it before, yet i knew everything that had or was going to happen. You know why, most any other 30min sitcom show had already done that episode in the 30 years after that Dick van Dyke show premiered. Or, look at how many times "I am Legend" was made into a movie? Or how about the Kirosawa's "7 Samurai"? Remade for the US in the early 60's, as "the Magnificent 7", then remade (poorly and horribly, IMO) nust a few years ago. Even the 4 musketeers has been made from Dumont's novel 5 times. See a theme here?

Hey, go watch "Rosemary's baby" and tell me if you hadn't seen that somewhere before? How about "Stalag 17", or if you want a more modern movie, try "Arlington Road".

And the questions that the movie poses, are for the viewer to ask themselves, not to lay it out in a clear concise way. Even in a film like "Inception", how the totem was left spinning as the film faded to black, let the viewer choose to believe whatever conclusions they wished.

Quote Originally Posted by fullofpaint View Post
    Woah woah woah, Ex Machina might not be the best, but let's not compare it to the garbage fire that was Prometheus. I mean, I like bad movies, guilty pleasure, but Prometheus had plots holes and problems even I noticed lol.
    Lol, kind of harsh there... I realize there are plot holes, but the general premise of the creator hating its creation was cool. I am not one to really pick a movie apart or even really justify my reasons for liking/ hating it. I didn't enjoy mad max: fury road even a little.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    I didn't enjoy mad max: fury road even a little.
    I don't know, fly casual

Hahaha, I know, right? Bad taste in movies, but

(.gif from one of my favorite comedies ever.)

Quote Originally Posted by fullofpaint View Post
    Hahaha point taken.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Also Gordon, his name is Rick Deckard. d. Not T.

And Ridley Scott - Not Riddly.

Okay, that's off my chest, I feel better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    You talk like you do understand, so what is it? You do or you don't?

And i hope you realize that as time moves on, especially in TV and movies (which there are new ideas any more, just rehashing of old, tired, replayed shows, getting a new shine- go see any remark of an original show: Dynasty, Beverly Hills 90120, any remake of an older movie or any movie about a TV show), that what was once new, original and innovative 30 years ago, is now common knowledge! Faux reality of the Blair Witch project was new, but as it caught the imagination of thd world, it got out through the spin cycle. "Bullet time" from the Matrix movies was mind blowing, yet it can be done with "30 go-pros & some editing software". So the premise of having thd main character question whether he is the same of what he is hunting, was extremely valid when thd movie was made and when the story was written. You can not look back at it, and say that it was "a junior high level of a movie twist", when soo many other mediums have taken that idea and used it.

Short example. I was watching some old "Dick Van Dyke show" from the 50s like 10 years back. Never watched it, but appreciate the actors. As i was watching an episode, i had a strange feeling that i had seen it before. Never watched it before, yet i knew everything that had or was going to happen. You know why, most any other 30min sitcom show had already done that episode in the 30 years after that Dick van Dyke show premiered. Or, look at how many times "I am Legend" was made into a movie? Or how about the Kirosawa's "7 Samurai"? Remade for the US in the early 60's, as "the Magnificent 7", then remade (poorly and horribly, IMO) nust a few years ago. Even the 4 musketeers has been made from Dumont's novel 5 times. See a theme here?

Hey, go watch "Rosemary's baby" and tell me if you hadn't seen that somewhere before? How about "Stalag 17", or if you want a more modern movie, try "Arlington Road".

And the questions that the movie poses, are for the viewer to ask themselves, not to lay it out in a clear concise way. Even in a film like "Inception", how the totem was left spinning as the film faded to black, let the viewer choose to believe whatever conclusions they wished.
    what are you on about?

no, seriously.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Movie knowledge is apparently the new dick measurement device.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    Movie knowledge is apparently the new dick measurement device.
    evidently.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.