Page 267 of 418 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268269277317367 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,670 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    I guess what's gross to me is the shutoff tied to the trigger. On systems where the chamber pressure has to drop to allow bolt reset, I think there are better ways to do it.
    Yes, of course there are better ways.

It is nearly 30 years old.

It has all kinds of flaws. So does every marker in the convenient light of hindsight.

Put in another way, most of the engineers now producing top-shelf stuff were alive in 1990 when the automag came out.

Yet none of the modern designs, produced by these people (or anyone else), came out in 1990.

And just as it would be unreasonable for us to expect them to have produced such things back then, it is also a little unfair to expect something from back then to answer criticisms leveled against it today.

It is no longer under scrutiny. It has earned its place in history in a way that most markers never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Mags are fun, one of the last fun guns around. But personal likes and dislikes are well, personal. Shoot it and see where you are with it. I will say that it fires very similarly to an Axe, so it will have a little familiarity therein way of feel.
    It's funny - back in 95 or so, I had a MicroMag and HATED the way it felt and shot. These days, my electronic gun is a FLE Axe that I absolutely love, over and above pretty much everything else that requires a battery. Not sure if the small detail changes are enough to change how I feel about the guns, or if I've changed over the last 20-something years.

Jerry Dobbins was a contemporary of TK and from everything I can tell the ICD desert fox is an improvement by all accounts over the mag. The mag is not some holy grail of paintball.

Last edited by ironyusa; 10-24-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Insider
    I would say the Mag is a definitive design though.

It was wholly original, with design features and a drivetrain that was unique and solid for years. The foundation or trunk for the Desert Fox, Armson, Badger, Freestyle and finally all pneumatic sear designs. The completely out of the box idea changed everything on our ideas of what a marker could be - and also was a huge step up in reliability and serviceability that the market took decades to catch up to.

I would say it isn't the Holy Grail anymore - Much like the McLaren F1 isn't the holy grail of vehicles now, but at the time it broke all barriers of what a vehicle could be and raised the bar by a good amount.

It is an achievement for paintball markers that far surpassed everything else at the time, at least a decade ahead of what the market had. Much like the Tippmann 68 Special, Palmers and Angel, it really is one of the major game changers in the industry. That it is still running now with a healthy user base says quite a bit.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Insider
    Also, found an old DF page that had a lot of good illustrations of parts for you to work from.

http://www.cognitivevent.com/icd/fox_main.html
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

I agree, but the evolution of that design should have been... more intelligent IMO. As best I can tell there were multiple version of the on/off on the mag and none were good IMO. I give credit where due and it was the first blowforward spool (or spool valve period) of which I'm aware. I mean, the fact that ICD saw the most glaring issue and solved it showed that TK was not infallible. The ICD freestyle may be a branch of the automag, but I'd say it had more influence on modern designs than the mag itself. I'm really not hating on the mag, but I feel it's kind of like the NT. Decent enough idea, but not great execution.

-Josh, I actually looked at that page this morning. Interesting history.

edit: I guess, in my mind ICD not AGD had a bigger influence on the transition to "modern" designs whether people see it or not. Plus, didn't Simon work with ICD around that time?
    Last edited by ironyusa; 10-24-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Saw a lifted BRZ yesterday, that was cool.

Only about a ~3" lift, but had larger tires on as well. Looked really good actually.

Birmingham, UK (originally a Seattle native)
    Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    Saw a lifted BRZ yesterday, that was cool.

Only about a ~3" lift, but had larger tires on as well. Looked really good actually.
    Much like this?

Attached Images Attached Images
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

That dude does some amazing photoshop concept work.

ive contemplating lifting my white miata, they actually make a lift kit for them.

but i like how it drives in the summer too much, and frankly, ground clearance is only really a problem when ice racing it. ive never gotten stuck on the street, only when drifting over like 2-3 foot drifts at lower than 20 mph.

on the plus side, i am so ready for the winter driving season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ax95JeGtw
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 10-24-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.