Page 301 of 418 FirstFirst ... 201251291299300301302303311351401 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,010 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I lost my 401k in the crash, had to cash it out to survive (pay off car, debts at the time) In hindsight it was a shitty move that?s set me back incalculably in the long run. (Read: I don?t want to know...)
    yup, why you can't trust your investments when the shit hits the fan.

and shit will hit the fan again, it always will.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    oh no, i have lots of investments. i just prioritize paying off debt over everything else. i think most millennials do the same, at least in my circle we do.
    yup exactly. i understand that mathematically, if i get 15% on some investment, versus paying off a debt at 8%, that i should mathematically choose to invest. however, from a liability standpoint, not having the debt in the first place is much better for my stress, sanity, and life.
    My friends and I are the same way. I think a part of it is a lack of trust in the financial market due to the housing crash and recession in 2008. There's that effect of generations who grow up during a depression/recession end up more risk averse than the generations before and after. So I guess it is probably a good time to start investing heavily.

Insider
    It's a good time to start investing consistently. Some every month. No plunging trying to play catch up. Possible exception for value investing such as the Michigan value 40 algorithm with a market cap filter on top

Great, that's what I'm doing now, albeit at a slower rate than I could be since I'm saving up to buy a lathe.

At work, we actually had a 401k advisor meeting/presentation and one of his points was "plunging trying to play catch up" was one of the worst things to do but is still commonly done by people making emotional decisions.

whenever i start seriously dating someone new, the engineer jokes really just start to flow ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd-OjKEcwgs
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    I have been dying to use this in a presentation
    https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/here_to_help.png

Problem is, if you actually do use algorithms to solve the problems they've been working on for years, you can't use it because you'd look like kind of a dick.

- - - Updated - - -

That said, kind of a dick is pretty on-brand for me
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

excel is a lifestyle.

i think everyone i have dated has made fun of my most common comment "oh, i have a spreadsheet for that!"

because i literally have a spreadsheet for everything. even dating.

excel is a lifestyle.

i think everyone i have dated has made fun of my most common comment "oh, i have a spreadsheet for that!"

because i literally have a spreadsheet for everything. even dating.
    Lol I make spreadsheets for organizing parties. I make a list of potential invitees and put a probability of each person showing up and the weighted sum gives you an estimate of the total number you'll have, so you can decide who/how many to invite to reach a certain number. I was within +/-1 once and +/-20 another time.

Insider
    Seems like your certificate expired, though you probably noticed that already.

Looks like it's supposed to still be good, strange.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon